Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
FISH
28 Posts
is that with or without the kilt,pmsl.
Bibbs

It has to be with the Kilt :wink: trousers would get wet :rofl
Having been diving in that area over the last 5 years, I've yet to see any Piranhas!!!!! In fact, the state of the sea fisheries in that area is very limited due to the high salinity and historical over-fishing, including illegal dynamite fishing (nearly burst my ear drums on one dive). Seriously though, there are very few fish species which can cause you harm in that area of the world. All the fish species you are likely to encounter in the shallows around Icmeler are far more scarred of you than you are of them. The most likely species to give you the little 'nips' are juvenile Sea Bream or Wrasse. They tend to look for scraps as you move your feet around in the sand / shale and I guess they sometimes see a part of your leg as something worth having a bite at. They won't do you any harm, just nature taking its course. Don't forget you're in their world, invading their territory. Some species are very territorial and will defend their part of the sea bed if they see a threat, Damsels are well known for this.

Anyone ever see the resident Octopus in Icmeler? He was there for years up to they built the marina extension and dumped the dredgings close to the beach. I don't know if he managed to escape of not, but his home was well and truely destroyed. Shame on the authorities :no

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Dazbo5/TurkeySnorkelling4.jpg

Darren

PS: I work in fisheries
hi lynn m,
i'd like to see that,how about it bluepeterno1,don the kilt and wellies this year in turkey,have someone take a snap (not a fish)then put it on here for all to see,could be titled braveheart of the sea,pmsl. :rofl
as the great billy connoly sang . if it wisny fur yer wellies where wid ye be,youd be in the hospital or infirmaree, could change the words to in the sea. hee hee.

bluepeterno1
:arrow: Not totally true bluepeterno 1, large fish will swim in shallow water, chasing the small bait fish that they live on ,i witnessed this 3 years ago while wading knee deep in the sea at Fethiye, 2 large (i am talking 2 feet long a piece) Barracuda type silver fish were literally roundng up the small fish that i had been standing there feeding with a bread roll ,i stood still long enough to watch this for about 10 minutes in which time these fish brushed by my legs on a few occassions, they showed no interest in my legs at all perhaps the varicose veins put them of, needless to say every day being a keen angler i took my fishing rod with a lure that i bought in a local shop that looked like the small fish that i was feeding to try and catcth one (to no avail) i never even saw them again, allthough you would definitely know if you were to be bitten by one of these. N.B. on numerous other times i have caught small fish that have quite a set of nashers on them, and quite a set of armoury on them i.e. poisonous spines i was told by a local fisherman in is broken english if stung " in one hour very pain in two hour fever and in three hour if no medico KAPUT " needless to say if i catch these now i put a sandal on them to keep them still and tentaviely unhook them and push them back in the water this is just a tip for anyone who likes to do a bit of fishing while on holiday, bit off subject i know but thought it was worth mentioning :arrow:
know what you are saying terry but as a rule you wont get big fish in shallow water ,certain spicis will i know ,but we are hardly talking about a lot of people getting bitten only an isolated few,if not we would hear a lot more about it

regards bluepeterno1
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.