Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Fish
14 Posts
someone must know,please
IJ if no one answers on here then go to flight only section and find Dazbo...i`m sure i read before that he has used an underwater camera in Turkey.
I don't think Turkey is known for having much in the way of coral etc. We have been on a couple of gulet trips (where you spend a week at sea) and others who had been diving in egypt said there wasn't much to see. Having said that I bought my husband a snorkel and mask and the first time he used it he saw two turtles on the sea bed. He swam amongst them and it was the highlight of his holiday. This was in the Kas area, out at sea.
I have taken photographs with an underwater camera and no their are no abundances of coral or brightly coloured fish as this is the med and well there isnt much there to take pictures of at all. I was on the Marmaris/Turunc, I have also dived in Olu Deniz area too dont know about other parts of Turkey but not much around this coastline to take pictures of at all
ijduffell,

I don't venture in to the Turkey forum very often since I'm tied up with the flights section most of the time!!! As Loulou said, I've dived in Turkey quite a few times (~40 dives loged from memory) so know what the underwater scenery is like down to 40m. That part of the Med / Aegean is a little sparce when it comes to marine life. The salinity is quite high and the water temperatures during the winter months means it's a little cold for corals to grow in any great numbers. I've visited Turkey on 4 occasion and I'm off again in September to try a different spot. I didn't take the camera (Sony / SeaPro underwater video) on my last visit and I won't be in September because there isn't much to point it at to be honest. It depends where you are going and what you want to take photos of, and if you're using scuba or snorkelling. There's plenty of small fish if you find a quiet spot and a bit of bread helps as well. If you look closely, you might be lucky to see an odd Nudibranch but watch out for the Fireworms! If you want corals and my favourite, sharks, you'll have to head further afield to the Red Sea or Caribbean. There's some nice places around our coast though.

I've just tried to post links to my diving videos from Turkey but they've been removed :duh

Darren
Darren I've sent you a pm re videos :que
Thanks Glynis. They were on zippyvideos. It looks like they've had a clearout of old videos so I'll have to re-upload them.

Darren
Thanks for all your replies,well im off to altinkum so i doubt i will be using it that much :cry just a few of the family swimming about
ijduffell,

You'll probably see plenty of small fish and if you head to some rocky areas, small marine creatures so it might be worth having a go. If you're really lucky, you might encounter an Octopus. There was one about 30m off the shore at Icmeler until they decided to extend the marina, resulting in loads of sediment being deposited in the bay destroying its home :cry There's always plenty of small fish around such as Turkish and Peacock Wrasse, Banded Bream, Sardines, Garfish etc and in the quieter areas, Mullet. You sometimes get a Baracuda coming close to shore but I've not seen many of them around the Turkish coast. Just go out and enjoy your snorkelling and take the camera, you never know what you might see. Watch the sun on your back though, it's strong over there.

Darren
Thanks Dazbo, it is obviously no red sea Riviera but i will be taking the camera anyhow, i am no professional aquatic photographer, but there is definitely something very satisfying about taking pictures underwater, especially as i do only use snorkal and flippers. :sun2
We did see a dolphin last year, we were on the taxi boat between icmeller and marmaris... dont know if sightings of them are a regular occurance out there because the little guy who was driving the boat, was jumping up and down shouting "LOOK, BIG FEESH...BIG FEESH"! :rofl
mitchellclr,

Dolphins do get spotted every so often but they are quite rare in that area.

Darren
in that case dazbo, i feel quite privelleged to have seen one! :tup

clare
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.