Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
lilcheekymonkey - please stop being alarmist, it really isn't helping.

If you are - naturally - worried about whether to travel, keep in touch with the FCO webiste and your travel operator.

One plea please. The FCO helpline number is for people enquiring about the safety of relatives in Marmaris, and NOT for holiday advice.
I'm sorry but I don't see how lilcheekymonkey is being alarmist. Monkey's out there and reporting things as they happen. Now hearing a blast is what was heard and is what was reported. If you hear a blast outside your window in Marmaris today of course you're going to think its another bomb.

:roll:
i agree 100%, sadly this can happen anywhere
Well said!!!!! I am off in October and nothing will stop me I already have 2 flights booked for next year and again it will not stop me at all, I was there when bird flu broke I was fine and I will not have my life dictated by terrorists!! :D
100% agree, we are off to Bodrum on the 11th September, no matter where you go there is always a threat. My other half is now very worried, however I think the recent trouble will only increase security. My thoughts go to all those involved in the incident last night. Keep your heads held high, DO NOT let them beat you.
still not sure what to do 22:40 flight tonite with my daugher and wife marmaris meeting up with 18 of our family to surprise they phoned up last nite kids were crying but everything calmed down this morning theyve phoned us . this website advicing not to go http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/3-19-2003-37594.asp
That says south east turkey - near ıraq. Marmarıs ıs south west, thousands of mıles away.
How very sad, we got back from Icmeler Saturday morning, we had walked to Marmaris during our stay. My Dad always mentions about using the buses but I never want to and neither does my Mum. I would rather walk places or get a taxi :? They don't put me off my holiday though because it can happen anywhere in the world.

3MIN3M4
looking at it properly it was also published 2003 .sorry but still not sure what to do
I agree, I fly out to Bodrum on Saturday and nothing would stop me going!
Only you can decide but I for sure will not be changing any plans.
See the other thread here, about terrorism, why would you let these stupid selfish b***** ruin a holiday that I assume you paid for months ago and have been looking forward to ever since!
im keen to go myself my wife is not lots people saying it wont stop me. but some of there holidays are in afew weeks time when its over the calm, but will marmaris be in a shock mood people stayin in hotels not goin into the bars i feel sorry for the turkish people cos it could have big affect on them
Nobody here makıng a bıg deal of ıt, the turkısh people were more personally affected when the earthquake happened ın ıstanbul ın 1998 and lots of people dıed.
more than 2000 tourists wanna leave from marmaris now. i seen sum of them looking for taxis to dalaman airport.
drove past this morning and was as if nothing happened, everything as normal. controlled explosion near ketenci, a bit of tape cordoning an area off. big anti kurdish feeling at the moment. no deaths reported, I dont think the govrnment can cover this one up.
terrible news.
my best wishes go out to all injured and there relatives...
me and the wife fly out in 2 weeks,wont stop me but wont use the buses.
never have used them anyway.just need to be extra causious.
like most say it can and has happened here.
nowheres totaly safe.
i imagine very strict safety precausions will be implemented now by the turkish authoritys and especialy the police.
steve
just been on to tour operater just offered us seden hotel in hisaronu instead but i think i prefer marmaris 8) so looks like were goin after all :D
This is not going to stop me going in three weeks time. I can understand how some who are due to go to Marmaris in the next few days would be concerned but we did not advise visitors to avoid London after 7/7. There are risks wherever you travel these days.

It doesn't help when all you hear is speculation about what may or may not have happened. I believe that if there were fatalities we would know about them. Thankfully the BBC is reporting that no one has been killed and I trust they are correct.

As for Monkey, I have found some of his posts alarming, and whilst he is "on the spot" that does not guarantee an accurate view of what is happening. Has he counted all 2000 tourists he says are now desperate to get out of Marmaris? Some will understandably want to leave but as the Foreign Office are not advsing against travel to Turkey turning up at the airport does not mean there will be a flight to take you home early.

The Turkish people need our support at this time. This has been a difficult season for them so far and they need us to stay and enjoy our holidays.
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.