Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
i have got two weeks booked for next year in turkey and i was going to book up for two weeks this october but i am really scared but i do agree with you all we can let them win so why should i give up going to some where i really want to go because of these cowards
i am taking ds 4 on my own on thursday - if i am honest it has put me off going. although i live in london and do understand it can happen anywhere. there is something about being far from home on my own.
I am off to Marmaris on the 11th of Sep too. And after these bombs :( I am uneasy about going. But, I agree with what your saying. You have to take risks everywhere you go nowadays. Dont let all this ruin your holiday. It is a holiday well earnt. One you have worked hard for and looked forward to.

Maria
we too fly out to marmaris soon .just got back 2 weeks ago,we were on a bus to icmeler ,a hippy infront of me had a box next to him ,but when he got off the box stayed :shock: i know it was a bad thing to do but i opened the lid looking for a bomb,luckily nothing there,but if they was maybe i could of set it off :shock: ,2 mins later a turkish man also looked inside.was he thinking the same as me :( then he lent under the seat to retrieve a bucket :shock: :shock: now i was really paronoid :? the bucket contained cleaning equipment for the bus :lol: ,i know i was been paronoid but the recent bomb attack should make us all paroniod :roll: bins im not so worried about because there few and far between,but i think i will be traveling by taxi,were still going ,not going to be put off as we all know as stated on the television just now its a high risk area anyway with a reported 15 bombs been detanated,as there is only me and hubby going im not to bothered ,in july and august we had our family and other peoples children ,my daughter was 7months pregnant too maybe then i might have considered not going,but for now im not letting the terrorists win
Thank you chelsea boy for your calm report and I also believe that some other posts have put panic into the public's eye.

As an outside observer from Antalya ( but someone who has lived in Turkey for 10 years now ) I can honestly say I have no fear for my safety of that of my children.

These events are yes very terrible and were very shocking for me as I got up this morning but that is what these ''terrorist'' are trying to do scare everybody away from travelling to Turkey. Ruin the tourism economy. Do not let them win !!!!! No where in the world can be absolutely safe.
television just reported that tour companies still flying there and any 1 wanting to cancel will be charged a cancelation fee.
our friends left marmaris today, as scheduled, and were surprised how calm everybody was. from posts here, people are still coming here. A big thankyou for your spirit not to let a few fanatics destroy a wonderful country.
there a slight distinction I feel I have to make. The PKK are a bunch of cowardly people who leave small explosive devices .They(like ETA in Spain) hit tourist resorts to gain big TV coverage.
Al quaeda however have suicide bombers to cause massive damage and will hit anywhere in the world.
whilst the incident in marmaris was terrible, and I wish a speedy recovery to thse injured, I think it should be put in perspective and not compared to 9/11... 7/7..or the Istanbul bombs.
You are totally correct chelsea boy !!!!!!! I also wish to those injured a big get well. :)) And that even in other parts of Turkey are hearts are with you.
just had trip around Marmaris. It is all quiet now. there are extra securty polices around and every corners.
I ain't gonna let these idiots stop me from looking forward to my holiday there in 3½wks time, maybe just a tad wary of the dolmus but looking forward to having a fabulous time as always!!!
:( my thoughts are with all the families who got caught up in this terrible act.
this morning my daughter and grandchildren are now flying into marmaris, first holiday on their own, of course we back home are worried for there safety, as we cannot get in touch. personally i would have wished for tour company`s to cancell flights, you never know if these terrorist will strike again.
for all those in turkey take care.

worried mam.
I am ın Marmarıs now, all ıs calm and as normal - ın fact most people are unaware of what happened. Last nıght we seen the lıst of all the people and there ınjurıes and they were quıte superfıcıal ınjurıes thankfully

Went down on the front thıs mornıng and the only dıfference you can see ıs a few extra polıce cars - To all those of you comıng out ı would say dont worry

Take care

LA
Jagger, if nothing else they will be safer with all the extra security around. Try not to worry, generally lightening doesn't strike twice in the same place.

I just heard a rather damning report on Turkey on our local radio station and was quite angry about it. Just about to send them an email in fact. It was a young lad from Glasgow who had just landed back in from Gumbet this morning. He was going on about how the group of English lads he was with were subjected to all sorts of abuse in Gumbet, threatened with sticks etc to stop them going into shops, a DJ in a nightclub encouraging everyone to boo and hiss the English in the club. I find it very hard to believe that anything like that would happen in Turkey as it would be very destructive to the lucrative tourist market that they have. What the hell it had to do with the bombings I have no idea! He also said that after he tried to stop a few Turkish guys chatting up his girlfriend one of them flashed a gun at him :shock:

That was the type of report that the Turkish tourist industry really doesn't need at the moment and I can imagine it has caused a few people who've never been to Turkey before to try and cancel their holiday after hearing that.

Here we go again with all the nonsense reports on the news etc. Turkey has had a hard enough season this year and rubbish like this will surely affect next season too since its quite late in the year. :roll:
I'm due to go back to Sarigerme 4 weeks today and have been thinking about the Dolmus situations a lot this morning. I will still go of course and will probably still use the Dolmus' but will be a little more alert looking for abandoned boxes, bags etc.

I also feel a little more secure knowing that the Sarigerme area is patrolled by the Army thinking that this may put any potential terrorists off that area. Then again, maybe not, but it makes me feel better.

I'm more paranoid about a forthcoming trip to London in March, in which I'm very panicky about having to fly in/out of Stansted and travel on the tube. :x
scottish mam im a great fan of turkey and have been visiting the country over 24 years now going up 6 times a year and sadly for us my 16 yr old son had a very bad experience last month ,on 2 occasions once playing pool in a hotel and the other minding their own business walking along the beach in a very quiet resort and a gang of about 10 turkish lads all around 16-19 stopped them ,swore at them told them to go back to the uk etc was a very unpleasant experience,i have to mention my son and his friend are both quiet laid back chaps and wouldnt start anything, especially as my son has medical problems, it hasnt put me off going to turkey as its the first bad experience ive had in 24 years but its certainly worried my son, so sadly this can happen, speaking to some of the locals about it the following day they said more likely to have been a group of turks on a day visit, im not siding with this lad on radio but wanted to let you know that it can happen.

ive spoken to my mother who lives in marmaris and she assures me all is getting back to normal and it can happen anywhere, we are going out again in about 5 weeks and i wont cancel for either of the reasons ive mentioned
Im supposed to be going to marmaris next monday im really worried about going i know i shouldnt let these idiots :evil: spoil my holiday i have been really looking forward to going back to marmaris as i havent been there for about five years .

But now im not sure if i want to go but if i dont want to go will my holiday company offer me somewhere else ?
Thanks Ellie,

I was just more annoyed that these reports should have been about the bombings and they were dragging up all sorts of other stuff. I'd read about your son in your post last week, awful!

I just spoke to Leighanne off here on Messenger too and she said pretty much the same as your mum. She says she'd read a list of the injured too and its all pretty much cuts and bruises, so I think everyone is ok. Thank God eh! It could have been much worse.
The B*****ds, whats the point of it? injuring innocent people is not going to get them what they want is it?
I hope all the injured make a speedy recovery.
All those who are due to travel soon, i hope you dont let this spoil your holidays, obviously exercise more caution while you are out and about.
Dont let them win
I have been thinking of booking a week at the end of september and still intend on doing so.

Last year hubby and i were in Marmaris in July and an incident happened that was kept quiet, the point being that the police were onto what was happening and stopped it before it became a serious threat, so they are working behind the scenes too.
It also didnt stop us taking our 3 boys and my baby niece back to Marmaris in june this year.

Loulou
its terrible but so many places are targets, look at what they stopped here recently ,its a nightmare. i agree the lad shouldnt be talking about that when discussion was bombs and i know some uk people do cause trouble and behave badly think we have all witnessed that once or twice, we just didnt expect it in such a quite lovely resort, his experience wont stop me as ive been going to turkey too many times and incidences like this can happen anywhere
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.