Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
where are you going to in Turkey??
Can happen anywhere in the World :shock:
The Foreign Office website is always worth checking but they don't seem too worried at the moment. The link is too long to post so try http://www.fco.gov.uk , click on travel/travel advice by country and enter Turkey. The last update was 8th June and it is still current.

It is a very useful page for all sorts of things.
Original poster hasnt come back but I was going to point out that Istanbul is 900km from Marmaris etc. And I would point out that for the five years I have lived here full Time its been statistically safer than UK.
Hi Nighthawk,

I can understand your concerns. When we book a holiday we're looking for relaxation; and when you know your chosen resort could be a target from a terrorist attack, it kind of defeats the whole object. :cry:

Having said that, Marmaris was targeted last year, and (I think) Kusadasi was targeted the year before. So, if statistics are anything to go by, they should be pretty safe. Then again, the terrorists may just be lulling people into a false sense of security.......................and could target the same place again.

If your wife is worried about it, and it is her holiday too; then you should reach a compromise. Maybe go to a very small resort in Turkey where the chances of being caught up in any poilitical unrest is fairly low. Or try one of the Greek Islands' - which are very similar to Turkey anyway.

Hope you have a great time whatever! :P

Strawberry
sorry been out its marmaris we go to

decided it wont stop us

thanks
Hi Bryn, Nighthawk is going to Lunamar, Marmaris. I have just been through the who's going where Forum and found him !! Nighthawk, I have said this before, don't be put off by the bomb in Istanbul. As Bryn has said, Istanbul is a very long way from Marmaris. When the bomb went off in Marmaris last year, many people cancelled their holidays because of it and lived to regret it afterwards. Those who stuck to their guns and stuck two fingers up to the Bombers and went ahead with their holidays, had a terrific time. All I will say though, if you DO go, just be a little more vigilant with your surroundings and where you go. Other than this, have a superb time and let us know how you got on when you come back. Please don't be put off by the bomb.

Les
we booked last year so we are not going to panic now .. obviously a worry in the back of our head though .

cheers all
Please try not to worry. We flew out to Jamaica our first long haul in the oct after Sept 11th.

We went to Sharm in Egypt the week after the bombs went off 05. I was amazed that my OAP parents still came.

We took an WW11 veteran up to London to the celebrations of the 60th Anniversary of the end of the war. Both the sat and sun after the London bombings. It was my youngest daughter then aged just 13 who insisted we could not let him down.

This year we are in turkey for the first time in August. :roll:

So please dont let it ruin your holiday.
never heard about that
As already said, you are a target anywhere in the world today. I work in the City of London for the past 30 years and we have seen the IRA et al in that time. You just have to carry on living your life and not give in to them.

Happy Hols everyone.
Hiya

Have booked to got to gumbet in August with my husband and 12 year old son along with friends who also have son same age as ours. Was telling someone today about our booked holidays and they raised their eyebrows to the heavens. Told us we were braver than them as they would never dare because of the terrorism threat. We decided against Egypt for this reason and I have dwelled on it all afternoon, can't believe I didn't think about it to be honest. Had a look on the Government website and it states that there is a high risk of terrorism in Turkey and there have been attacks in Marmaris.

Now, I don't want to blow it out of proportion as we are at risk in the UK, we live with it every day but I just wondered what your thoughts were as you lot are far more familiar with Turkey than I. I am only asking for your opinion I don't want to scaremonger but I also would like to enjoy my holiday :duh

Thanks in advance.

A very blonde Em :really
Well Turkey is like anywhere esle ... when we went we thought it was safe and loved it ... You could be walking down your own street and something could happen... you cannot let the terriorism spoil it for you... i think it could happen anywhere!!!
:que

Hope this helps... sorry this is just my opinion!

Curlylocksm
In this world we all live with the prospect of something happening, Turkey is no different to any others, I wouldnt worry about this to be honest as since the last bombings in Tourist areas of Turkey they certainly have toughened up their ways with plenty of effort in stopping vehicles getting to Tourist resorts and searching them, Also they do spot checks on the people whereby they have to have the Identity cards with them or they may well find themselves in a police station until the card is provided. Dont worry as im sure once you arrive at your chosen accomadation you will see how well you will be looked after by the people of this great country.
I holiday in Tunisia also,a couple of years ago a bomb went off in Monasir,I didnt cancel,no problems.Also go to Benidorm,same a few years ago,again I didnt cancel,no problems.Im off to Marmaris in June,no way am I cancelling,not even considering it.If we cancelled holidays because of bombs we woulnt be going on holiday at all.London,Egypt,New york,the list is endless,so dont go cancelling your holiday,your more than likely to regret it.
Well we have booked for turkey again this year. I have friends who still will not go on the underground in london! :duh I never give that a second thought.

Enjoy your holiday
Thanks everyone, I know you are right, if it was just me and hubby then I wouldnt even think about it, it's the fact that I am taking my son that worries me. But then I'm sure that fear and worry are terrorists' biggest ali's. And you're right, can't let them dictate our lives to us

Haven't made a definite decision as yet still waiting to hear what the friends we are travelling with think, but I feel better than I did yesterday, so thanks a lot!

x
I think if everyone thought about terrorism, no one would go out.

I live in London and I feel more threatened here than in Turkey. I can walk out at night and feel quite safe.

No where is safe these days but I will still be going to Turkey in June and not even think about bombs,
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.