Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
This threat has been happening for the last 2 years. At Xmas last year we even had Sanbags and Officers with guns on the beach. It hasnt stopped me from going and it wont again this year but everyone needs to make their own choice.
What is the feeling once you are actually out in Goa? I am just worried about getting there and everybody being on high alert all the time. I love going to all the markets and I've seen that they are a possible target. I wouldn't want to go if everybody including the locals are on edge?
Like ellie has said, last year there were armed police on the beach, road blocks etc so it has to be your choice on whether you go or not. If you'd feel happier not going to crowded areas (ie markets) then do that.

The only way I would not go would be if the foreign office said so....... I never stopped going to London when the IRA were bombing everywhere ...
There was no feeling of concern while there Jusp. The only thing that changed was they wasn't holding evening beach parties.

As Celcat says, we live in a country where we are on constant threat from terrorism.

Last year there were quite a few members here who decided against travel to Goa but similarly a lot that took the same attitude as me. The decision really has to be down to the individual.
The threat of terrorism seems to be everywhere. Why let them win by doing exactly what they want to achieve. Only 3 months to go for me!
coralshore,
If the theat is real you could die, that is something to worry about, the bravardo of I will not let them stop me is a very dangerous outlook, I was on the beach in goa last xmas, no worries about bombs in the markets down south, there was no markets, no fireworks at newyear, no music after 10 o'clock, nobody on the beaches, except armed military men, thankfully, no bombs, and not a lot of fun.
Danny
Dan where down South were you? I was there at New Year and we certainly had fireworks and music after 10pm.
Benaulim, there were people on the beach untill about 12.30, some one let fireworks off on new years day outside funnys and they were surrounded by armed soldiers and forced off the beach.
Danny
Maybe you should have come down to Cavelossim for New Year's eve. The restaurants were as lively as they have been in previous yrs.
We were in N.Goa immediatley after the Mumbai attack. We watched Goas response, with amusement, I'm afraid the gun empacements would'nt have deterred any terrorist, they'd just landed a 100yrds up the beach. There did'nt seem to be any doom and gloom anywhere among the tourists, indeed most of the action from the police etc seemed to be against the much more serious threat of music after 10.00pm. sun beds, and shacks that had'nt paid their bribes. We'll be there as usual Nov & Dec, while we are there, if there is a creditable threat of an incident, we certainly would'nt go to Anjuna market, or any of the night markets, and perhaps our visits to the Mapsa market would be on another day, than the usual touristy Friday one. Apart frrom that, Helen will be ensconced on her sunbed at Aggies, and I'll be walking the beach daily from Baga River to Sinquerm. Roll on 17th Nov. Alan
Here we go again - more threats of terrorist activities. We would all be rather foolish to say that we won't take it seriously, we will of course, but as many have already said if we change our plans and hide away at home where it's safe then these "low life's" win. The only thing we can do is to continue (as best we can) as normal and enjoy life, take precautions as you think are necessary and remain aware when in crowded places such as markets and any other places that have been flagged up as potential targets.

The Mumbai attacks last November were horrendous to see on TV (I was in Goa at that time, and some of our HTers were in Mumbai). :yikes The local Goans were as un-nerved by it as anyone else. It brought home to me that India isn't the safest of places to visit, there again, I could walk outside my house and get run over by a bus - not the same thing I know, but dead is dead no matter how it occurs. I am still going to Goa in November (unless the Foreign Office totally forbid it), and I intend to enjoy myself as "safely" as possible. Can't wait for a bit of :glynis and :hot :sun Take Care.
Fizz
not going to put me off just got to be more alert and have your witts about you.roll on 1st Nov :sun2 to you all take care
Its everyones individual choice to go or not,but no way are we not going,just keep away from
the crowded places :tup
Does that mean you will be giving the meet on 25th November a miss then split? I, too, will carry on going and just keep my wits about me.
Polly50 wrote:
Does that mean you will be giving the meet on 25th November a miss then split? I, too, will carry on going and just keep my wits about me.

:rofl :rofl :rofl I ask for that one Polly50 :tup
I don't /can't afford 5* hotels, don't use railway stations or frequent night clubs so judging from where most terrorist attacks on tourists take place I consider myself pretty damn safe.
Now, as long as I can make it along the que, past the machine gun post and into Diabolim airport without being shot by either a drive past terrorist or the response firing from the security forces hey ho, home safe and dry !
So judging by previous tourist attacks would you think that the Baga / Arpora area would be a safe place to stay? If we avoided all the busy areas and just went to restaurants in the evening then there should really be nothing to worry about?!
jusp, I think it will be fine. Just avoid those places that have been flagged up as high risk in Baga I guess that would be night clubs such as Tito's - not good news for their business but if you are really worried about this then avoid. As has been mentioned, markets such as Ingo's and Mapusa possibly Panjim too - I guess we could make an endless list of places WE think could be potential targets but then again, none of us would get our usual Goa experience. To be honest, if they target Goa, it could happen anywhere these "low life's" choose but personally, I am still going, I will just use a bit of common sense and avoid places I think may be risky - What else can you do :que Fizz
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.