Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
I am unsure what to say to you. I think the fact that BA booked a flight from Gatwick for you which you declined may leave you in a very precarious position. If it had been me I would have paid the bus transfer cost and not been that worried by the cost. How much is it in any case?
THat said in some ways I think that when you told them that the Gatwick flight was unacceptable I think that you would be entitled to the air fare booked from Heathrow to Manchester. Is this what they are saying and is this the amount they have sent you in a check.
I was caught up in the BA strike flying to Miami on the 25th May. We were put on to an American Airlines flight which was in the morning rather than the afternoon. Because we knew that there was a possibility of strike action and we knew almost certainly that the domestic flights would be cancelled we opted to travel by taxi to Heathrow from Yorkshire.
They offered us a flight on the Friday the day previous and our Cruise Company would have paid for a hotel in Fort Lauderdale for the extra night but this was not from BA.
We were fortunate in that our return BA flight was on and we flew back on a packed flight. I don't know what else you can do if BA have taken this stance. Have you taken the issue to the highest level at BA. Can your TA not get a better resolution for you.
Good luck

Sue
Sharon I have read your post again and see that it has actually been Thomson who have been dealing with BA. Have you not been in contact with them yourself?
On the issue of the cost of flights when they book a through fare like Manchester to Hong Kong it is not the same cost as it would be for booking the individual flight and I fear that what they have refunded is correct.
Whether they would be prepared to do something else as a good will gesture but that is the road I would take. Appeal to their better side. I would always deal with any holiday company myself as you are the one who takes the loss not the Thomson. I would suggest that you get the name of the Manager of Customer Services and they may be reluctant to give you a name then you should be able to find this out. Even if it is just the switchboard you ask. I would just say I wish to put a name on the letter. Don't let them fob you off and ask to speak to a manager.
You may already have done all this and this may not be helpful but I fear that BA are essentially right but hopefully they may respond to you as a good will gesture

Sue
I'm not an expert by any means but it seems BA offered and booked an alternative flight for you, albeit from Gatwick, yet you opted to cancel it stranding yourself at Heathrow. In your position I would have taken the offered flight and then worried about the transfer cost afterwards. I think you have done well to get £74.80 refunded.
Agreed. I am now wondering why the OP has not come back with any other information other than what they first posted. Like you I think that they have left themselves in this position and I don't think they can expect BA to do a great deal for them.

Sue
The business of BA rebooking a connecting flight from a different London airport and not including the transfer has happened on this board before. Heathrow to Gatwick price-per-mile works out as one of the most expensive land transfers in the UK if you use the direct coach (assuming it's not fully booked) and the alternative route by public transport is not an easy journey.

The original contract was for the whole Hong Kong to Manchester journey at an inclusive price - that was not the alterative offer so turning it down shouldn't undermine the claim. However, if this holiday was classed as a package under the terms of the various regulations then the claim is against the Tour Operator not BA.
Thank you for all you advise

I have now taken this up again with BA as my tour operator will not help anymore. It has given me food for thought and I might just as well give up if I dont get anywhere with BA. Thank you this fourm is great.

Love Sharon19702765
Sharon sorry I could not be more positive. Like someone else said I think I would have paid for the transfer to Gatwick and then sent BA the bill. A lot of people have found BA QUITE helpful over the volcanic ash situation but maybe not so with the industrial action issue.

Good luck

Sue
Thanks Sue for your time spent on this. I didn't choose getting from Heathrow to Gatwick as my Husband is a bad flyer and to get on another flight after waiting another 11 hours at Gatwick would have killed him fretting over it. lol
Thanks to all Sharon.xxx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.