Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Cancelled flight
14 Posts
I think you can only claim from one source not both.
This seems to be coming typical BA behaviour. Since they are an EU registered airline and your destination was in the EU you have rights under EU reg 261/2004.

The first one of these is that BA should have informed you of all your entitlements - which they clearly haven't!!

The list of rights and entitlements in this case are shown by the Air Users Council here. To start with they should have arranged the extra hotel rather than have you pay and try to claim the money back. And even that assumes that it wasn't possible to offer the alternative route option.

Then there is the question of compensation. They will try to claim "extraordinary circumstances" but the fact that they were able to give 48 hours notice weakens that arguement - it means they had at least 48 hours to arrange an alternative routing.

As you have already had your claim turned down and they haven't informed you of your rights use the Complaints link on the AUC page and ask them to look into it. In the first quarter of this year Cancellations were their biggest source of complaint - more than the next three types added together!!

As for insurance, a lot of policies exclude airlines not doing what they should (otherwise the insurance industry would collapse!) so even with a written explanation they may not pay out.
:think Thanks for the replies I will check out the links.I have just been sent 80 pounds worth of vouchers to buy stuff on my next BA flight and I dont intend to travel with them if they dont sort this out.I've already booked onto Cathay Pacific for my next trip.Its so unbelievable that they say they are not liable they obviously had days to find staff,which shouldnt have been difficult.
If the delay was outwith their control you won't get compensation I'm afraid. The online claim is just for compensation for delays and gives an automatic response. They will probably have a reason why it was outwith their control- no doubt ;) . However, are you saying that you had to sort out your own accomodation? You haven't made that clear in your post. If you did then BA are definitely at fault as they should have sorted that out for you as well as meals, refreshment and a phone call and transport to and from the hotel.
Hi,Yes,I had to arrange my own,hotel,meals,transport,etc.I thought that because they cancelled my flight about 3 days before the actual flight that they would be liable, because surely an airline of that size had plenty of time to get staff for my flight?
have a look at this link. They definitely should have sorted everything out for you
Also, you can claim all expenses through your insurance and they will claim back from BA.That may be a quicker route. Its certainly worth finding out what they say.
The insurance company wants me to give them a letter from BA explaining why this happened and BA arent answering my emails.
phone customer relations
0844 493 0 787
With all the T5 fiasco emails are taking a while to reply to.
Hi,It might be expensive because I'm in Hong Kong.I'll try the local BA first.Unfortunately I've lost the receipts for my meals and transport but I still have the hotel receipt.
the number in HK for general enquiries is
+852 2822 9000
there is a fax for customer relations
Fax: +44 208 759 4314
but the phonecall might be best as hopefully they will pass you on to someone who you can help
Thanks.I'll try that and let you know what happens. ;)
yes- keep us informed. Good luck :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.