Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Do you have a complaint?

Members of HT are always willing to assist where they can. It is possible that you will find someone but waiting for a possible response could take a while. and where complaints are concerned, then there are time limits - except in extenuating circumstances when you could get a positive response.

If you post brief details the we can try to help.

fwh
Yes, we have several complaints about the holiday, I wish we didn't; it was supposed to be a once in a lifetime magical Christmas in Lapland

I know that there were other guests that had complaints.

It's been a bit frustrating because the only feedback about this firm at that resort has been glowing - that's why we booked it in the first place - and yet we had a very different experience.

We're still writing up the complaint, it's about eight pages long - and I'll post a brief summary as soon as it's done.

Chris.
FWH, a always makes some good points but in the meantime, I would strongly urge you NOT to send a complaint letter that is 8 pages long. There's too great a risk that it will get dismissed as a rant, rather than aserious rational complaint and is also likely to include too much detail that could enable them to dismiss too much of the content as petty and irrelevant. You'll get a better response if you list the problems as a series of brief, concise bullet points, limit it to the things that seriously impinged on the overall holiday experience (ie lieave out the petty irritations that can be par for the course in any package deal) and make it clear exactly what you are now wanting from the TO.

Leave out the over emotional language, avoid heavy sarcasm and petty point scoring and stress all your positive reasons for booking with them in the first place. After all, you want the first person who reads your complaint to take it seriously, to sympathise with you and pursue your case on your behalf with their employer. In other words you want to get them on your side and not to alienate them and have them put your complaint on the backburner because they think that you're a professional complainer or someone with unrealistic expectations. I'm not saying that you are any of these things or that you will write an inappropriate letter of complaint, especially since you haven't given us any indication about the nature of your complaint (other than that the trip didn't live up to expectations) but the more objective, briefer and to the point you can keep such a letter, the more likely it will be taken seriously and so more likely to achieve a positive, sympathetic response.

SM
Thanks SMa - my thoughts exactly, although the last time I gave that advice the poster was offended. One very important point is do not email your complaint but send by recorded/signed for delivery.

Allow a reasonable period for them to reply, typically 14 days. You will then get an acknowledgment telling you they are sorry things were not to your satisfaction and they are investigating. They then have 28 days in which to reply.

Take care not to bombard them with follow up requests for progress as thay then use that as a means of delaying. Each time they get your follow up the clock is reset. TOs are masters at finding ways of not fully addressing complaints - the policy seems to be you will get fed up before them.

Remember we are here to help where we can. The advice we give may not always be what you want to hear but it will be honest and impartial.

fwh
I agree with the other posters. I am sure if you have had a torrid time you will want to have a rant.

It might actually be better to do that on here, but when it comes to writing to the company, be brief and to the point. If a lot of things went wrong you might even like to consider putting down the complaint's as bullet points.

It's also helpful to say what outcome you want or at least have an outcome in mind. ie do you want a refund for parts of the contract that you paid for but weren't fulfilled ?

I would think if you send an 8 page letter, it will not get read properly and you will get a reply that frustrates you further, letters may even go to a junior member of staff in the first instance in the hope you will just go away.

I do think you are doing the right thing writing and not emailing as they will just say they didn't get your emails, also I would send any letter as 'signed for'.

Good Luck.
Thanks,

As it happens I give advice on another forum so I understand what you mean when people don't like the truth.

No I'm not easily offended, and I do appreciate your input.

We have to write out what happened anyway, because the process of doing that has helped us see the whole thing more clearly.

When I post the summary I would be grateful for any comments good or bad.

Chris.
Can I suggest that instead of sending an "eight page letter" you send a one page letter with not more than three paragraphs basically stating where you went, a very basic summary of why you aren't happy and most important - what you want off them because of it. Then those who only skip read will be aware of the basic complaint. If you want to make a list of all the individual details do that seperately and attach it as an appendix. But as the others have said, stick to fact and don't get emotional.
I am interested to hear what went wrong? We stayed at this hotel with Inghams in February 2007 and didn't have any problems, really. The cleaning of the bathroom was a bit perfunctory - never replaced empty shower gel, even when I threw it on the floor of the shower. Just left it there, indicating probably didn't attempt to clean in there. The food selection was small at dinner, but adequate. Finland is not renowned for its cuisine and as expected there was a lot of reindeer meat..... Of course it wasn't Christmas when we stayed - maybe your problems centred on that?
Sorry, lifes been a bit chaotic. Here is the first letter text. Sorry it's so long.

We have listed a range of complaints about the "Luxury Holiday" you sold to us.

We made a holiday choice because of statements made in the Inghams brochure, in particular because of the statements put in boxes at the top of page 86, which say:

Best for........ NON-SKI ACTIVITIES GROUPS FAMILIES

We now know that the Yllas Saaga Hotel is not a luxury hotel, and this part of Yllas is not suitable for anybody who does not ski - or for families, or non-skiers - it is ideal for people who simply want to ski and sleep and do very little else - and your brochure should say so.

Many of our complaints arise from Inghams unwillingness or inability to provide the goods and services as they are described in the brochure.

Booking the holiday
The holiday was booked at xxxxxxxxx travel agents in the xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. The representative xxxxxxxxxxx, told us we could book excursions and ski packages up to the week before our flight.
The advertised return flight time arriving at Manchester airport at 13.35 appeared to be ideal, and we made an arrangement to be at a family party on the day of our return.
This was a party that was supposed to take place on Boxing night, but because we wouldn't be there over Christmas it was specially rearranged.

Travel Information came too late to be useful
When the tickets arrived, there was a booklet with them which amongst other things said that ski packages and excursions could only be booked in the UK up to 14 days in advance, we realised that xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx had given us incorrect information which was to cost us almost double the cost of pre-booking the ski packages, and Inghams sent us the tickets and the correct information too late for us to do anything about it. We rang to explain that we'd been given incorrect information by the travel agent, but Inghams refused to pre-book ski packages from the UK after the 14 day deadline.
If Inghams had sent the information booklet with the confirmation letter it would have saved us a considerable sum of money, we can't understand why they didn't.

Flight times changed
When the tickets arrived, we were disappointed to find that the flight times had been changed and we would not now be attending the family party, no explanation or apology was given - and it's clear that the customers plans don't matter.

Flight to Kittila
We paid extra so that as a family we could all sit together, but that did not happen.

Arrival at the Saaga Hotel, Yllas.
The brochure description of " A modern ski in/ski out luxury resort hotel with excellent spa facilities and a choice of superior hotel rooms and high quality apartments, located next to the lifts, ski school and ski hire shop on the Yllasjarvi side of the fell, it offers superb views over the surrounding Lappish countryside" is not accurate in our opinion.
In a luxury hotel you would expect food to be varied and of a high standard, not repetitive, boring and bland. The cafe would be well stocked with a range of foods for lunch and snacks, not a lonely stand up display fridge next to the bar area with a few bottled drinks and a few pre-packed sandwiches with ingredients we didn't recognise.

Luxury hotels of this size as a rule, provide dressing gowns and slippers to use in the hotel room or to go to the pool area, they generally make an effort, especially for the Christmas period, i.e. entertainment, Christmas decorations, Christmassy food, and they normally have a Queen or King-sized bed in the rooms, not two single beds pushed together, and they usually have quiet and comfortable lounge and bar areas.
We were amazed that there was only ONE washing machine, that took an hour and a half to do one wash, and was constantly in use. We had to wash base layers by hand. We found no pay-TV films available.
The brochure description of the facilities for young children and non-skiers is not accurate in our opinion, the play area for the children in the hotel is amazingly small, so small that if an adult supervises their child, there isn't room for other children to play in it.
There is nothing to do in that part of Yllas for non-skiers and small children.
There is a small bar, and no entertainment - except for other package tour guests.

Arrival at the Apartment
The apartment was very compact and simple, clearly designed to get as many functions and facilities crammed into as small a space as possible. The bedroom had two single beds pushed together and one pull out sofa bed in the lounge area, there was no room anywhere for a cot or small bed.
This meant that our grandson slept between us while our son slept on the sofa-bed.
There was no way this could be describe as luxury.
The balcony was filled with snow to a depth of about 2 feet.

First night - Dinner
Finding our dinner was a confusing experience, there was no attempt at any sort of signposting or welcome - we found the buffets were closed and we found ourselves in the A La Carte section of the restaurant, we were told that the other part of the restaurant was closed, so we were left with no alternative but to order an expensive a la carte meal which cost €117 for two courses for 3 people.
Monday to Saturday the buffet is open from 17.30 - 19.30, but on Sunday the buffet is supposed to be open from 18.30 - 19.30, however on our arrival it was closed.

First morning - Monday 22nd December

At around 9am we met the rep, and booked a range of excursions and three ski packages.
We asked her about free ski hire for our grandson who was under 7, she said she didn't do that, but the ski centre would sort that out.
Interestingly payment was made by card using a manual card machine, it wasn't till we started this letter that we realised the significance of that.

After breakfast we went to the ski centre to collect ski equipment which was at the bottom of the hill, not next to the hotel as described in the brochure.
After being given ski equipment, my wife had a asthma attack, she gave everything back to the staff on duty, and they told us that they would see the Rep about arranging a full refund. When I spoke to her subsequently she said that that charge was cancelled and no longer existed, she was later to change her mind and say that we had to claim on our holiday insurance.
When my wife returned the ski equipment back to the ski centre ( she'd only got one boot one before the asthma attack), the attendant at the ski centre refunded me the 6 euros for the ski pass in cash there and then.
On the Sunday we were leaving, the Rep said she had a letter for our insurance company.
My wife objected to the letter because it wasn't an honest account of what had happened, and she told the Rep that we shouldn't have to be claiming because when we approached her the payment for the ski packages hadn't gone through - the card payment was done manually and the ski centre hadn't been paid, and to our knowledge never were.

My wife returned to the apartment to rest - after about an hour she recovered and then found that there was nothing for her to do, except wait for us to return from skiing.
There is no cafe in the hotel, there is a display fridge with some sandwiches and drinks near some cheap tables and chairs by an exit door which is apparently the cafe area.

Dinner
We went down at about 7pm, and found few diners there, most of the available tables were dirty, and the food was simple, bland and unexciting, we noticed that tables with serviettes on were reserved for First Choice and Crystal guest - this was the recurring theme for all buffet dinners and breakfasts that we had.
It simply isn't possible to use the word luxury to describe the food that we were given, or the environment in which we were expected to eat.

Second day - Tuesday 23rd December

Mini husky experience.
Mini is the correct term, because there was little to experience, we were given a 2/3 minute ride driven by one member of our family - and then there was little else to do except look at cages of dogs and wait by a fire, either inside or outside. Almost all of the guest spent that time talking to each other about how little there was to do, and how short the one ride had been.

Third day - Wednesday 24th Christmas Eve Ski lifts closed early

Because there was nothing for my wife (a non-skier and non-swimmer) to do, we decided to do some last minute shopping in preparation for Christmas day, rather like we do at home, or anywhere else we've ever been at christmas.
We booked a taxi at 1pm to take us to a nearest large supermarket and shopping area, only to find that they had closed at 1pm. The taxi turned round and brought us back to the hotel at a cost of nearly £40. By the time we got back the ski lifts had closed and we had little to do but return to our apartment. Simply warning us, at the start of the holiday would have been a nice idea, and would have saved us time and money and upset.

On our return from the aborted shopping trip we found a leaflet stuck to the apartment door warning us to be at the INGHAMS CHRISTMAS DINNER at 18.30 sharp!

Dinner
More bland food, no entertainment, not even piped Christmas carols.
Except that we knew the date - you wouldn't have known it was Christmas at the Saaga hotel, and the dress code is so casual that most of the smart clothes we took for evening and dinner, were returned to England unworn because the buffet dinner is a canteen, and within about 30 minutes we would be back in our room, there was nothing else to do.

Fourth day - Thursday 25th Christmas Day. The ski lifts were closed.

Reindeer mini-safari
On page 86 the brochure describes the availability of "a wide choice of activities and safaris, including exhilarating reindeer, husky and snowmobile safaris." The picture in the top right-hand corner of the page shows two sleighs with two reindeer pulling each one.

After feeding small reindeer with branches of leaves, we then had drinks of juice and biscuits, queued up and climbed into sleighs.
Our first reindeer turned our sleigh over and threw our driver and then tipped me, my wife and our grandson onto the ground, fortunately there were no injuries, but that proved to be the highlight of the excursion because when we actually got going, we found that one reindeer struggled to pull three adults and one child at much more than a slow jog, even when the driver got out and walked. Hardly an exhilarating ride, we felt very sorry for the lonely beast that dragged us slowly up a gentle slope and down again over the five or so minutes it took. We visited the souvenir hut, and waited for the coach to take us back to the hotel.

Dinner and the Christmas Fairy
On page 79 of the brochure, DINNER WITH SANTA is described as follows:
For all Inghams guests arriving on 7th, 14th and 21st December we have included a special dinner with Santa during your stay (even for guests who are booked on a self-catering basis). This is in a secret village location, where you will enjoy traditional British Christmas food and Lappish specialities. Santa will arrive with his reindeer and all the children will have the opportunity to meet him individually and receive a small gift.

On page 86 of the brochure, at the bottom of the page DINNER WITH SANTA is also referred to as follows:

DINNER WITH SANTA
ENJOY A SPECIAL DINNER WITH VISIT FROM SANTA AND HIS REINDEER
Included for all Inghams guests on 13,20 and 25 December
Replaces dinner at the hotel for guest on pre-booked half-board

To add to our expectations, on our return from not shopping on Christmas Eve, the leaflet stuck to our door had a picture of Santa waving, and included the following text.

SANTA LIKES TO PARTY......AND SO DO WE!!!!!!
SANTA AND THE CHRISTMAS FAIRY REQUEST
YOUR PRESENCE AT THE INGHAMS CHRISTMAS DINNER!
Please bring your completed holiday reviews with you
THURSDAY
SAAGA HOTEL RESTAURANT
18.30 SHARP
SEASONS GREETINGS TO EVERYONE

We were looking forward to a lovely roast turkey dinner with stuffing and roast potatoes, etc, Christmas pudding, crackers and silly hats, after the boring fare we'd had so far.
It was to be the highlight of the holiday on the most important day of the year.

We were stunned to find that we wouldn't be leaving the hotel to go a magical secret village location, there were no reindeer, Santa was upstairs on the 2nd Floor doing the whole hotel as a job lot and it became very clear that we would be having our Christmas dinner in part of the ordinary restaurant.

When we got there, it looked just like it looks on any other day - the only Christmassy feature was the Rep dressed in a light pink frock and tiara with a wand. When our 2 and a half year old grandson called her Cinderella, she pointed out that she was the Christmas Fairy, and then asked for assistance with mistakes that she had made with our bookings and had clearly made with others. She didn't explain why the excursion was cancelled, she behaved as if this was completely normal, and we realised that there never was a secret village location, or an arrangement to have dinner with Santa and his Reindeer.

What could we say, it was 18.30, dinner was about to start, we were hungry, people were sitting down, and all we could do at that point was try to make the best of bad job and resolve to deal with it later. Had we known what kind of food we were about to eat, we would have kicked up a fuss there and then.

The food had nothing to do with Christmas - and was worse than we'd become accustomed to in the hot buffet in the usual eating area.
There were fish nuggets and oven chips, a processed smoked meat in a thick dark jellied gravy, potatoes that at first sight looked like pasta, rice, square chunks of carrot, what appeared to be the boiled fish that we usually got for dinner at the buffet, chicken pieces in some sort of sauce.

The Christmas Fairy vanished, and after the stale chocolate sponge cake Christmas dinner was over.

By 19.15 we were back in our room, we had been treated so badly it was difficult to comprehend that on Christmas Day, in Lapland, there hadn't been any tinsel, any carols, any Christmas crackers, or Christmas pudding, or Christmas cake, or mince pies.
We'd told all our friends and family about the magical holiday of a lifetime that we were supposed to be having, and yet here we were being treated in this way.
It was both shocking and humiliating - our feelings were clearly of no importance to Inghams - who seemed to have no intention of providing the holiday they advertised in the brochure, and there had certainly been no plan to provide British Christmas Food.

For us, Christmas and much of the holiday was a disaster. Up to this point we had realised that the excursions were not as advertised, and Inghams were giving us the minimum that they thought they could get away with.

Fifth Day - Friday 26th December Boxing Day

Santa's Secret Hideaway
The location has no electricity or running water, it is clearly in the middle of nowhere, and takes well over an hour to get there, our journey was made longer because our coach broke down, and had to be replaced, and by the time we were picked up, other guests had already been on the bus for over an hour. One guest was heard to say that altogether the excursion would have lasted over five hours for him and his children - it was unacceptable.
The toilet facilities are almost medieval, there was little smell because in the very low temperatures around - 5 Celsius the sh*t would have been frozen fairly quickly, the only difference was that a polystyrene seat and plug was fitted over the hole in the wooden box, through which you could see the product of many previous visits with toilet paper attached. You could only see that if you happened to have a torch with you (which I did) otherwise it was very difficult to see anything. Because changing a nappy in these conditions would have been a nightmare, and we felt safer waiting until the bus returned.
A tiny generator and a chemical toilet with a simple hand basin with waterless soap would have solved the problem very neatly. Clearly that was far too good for Inghams guests. There is no way to wash your hands which we found disgusting and after using the toilet in the near darkness must represent a health hazard - We were offered one sausage per person which took 5 minutes to cook on a toasting fork over a wood fire which we ate with our hands.

We were amazed at such unsanitary facilities in a modern country with about the highest standard of living in Europe, it indicates the contempt that Inghams must have for their customers. For what we were paying, a warm dry, well lit modern toilet with hand washing and nappy changing facilities isn't a lot to ask for.

Apart from sitting in a hut, or round a fire, there was little to do, because the advertised nature walk wasn't sufficiently lit to see anything, there weren't enough snowshoes to go around, so we simply waited in subzero temperatures just to see Santa.
Once we got to see him, he was an excellent Santa, probably the very best we've ever seen; he didn't rush us, and took time to put our grandson at his ease. However even so, that didn't make up for the poor way in which Inghams treated us.

We began to see a pattern forming in Inghams policy.
When booking excursions they would discount or exempt very small children, but insisted on charging for a seat on the bus - however, each time we were on a bus, the rep would ask if small children could sit on guest laps because there weren't enough seats.

Sixth day - Saturday 27th December

A Christmassy dinner, but not for us
We dressed and went for dinner at about 7pm. There was no notice indicating any changes.
We noticed that there was a queue of very smartly dressed people, and felt a bit underdressed, we were surprised that our rep hadn't warned us to dress up a bit for the last night.

After waiting in the queue for 10 - 15 minutes, we all went into the buffet.
We were pleasantly surprised to find the room dressed with Christmas decorations, there were Christmas napkins and crackers, candles and a live band playing music!
The buffet looked rather nice for a change.
So we chose a table and sat down and our little grandson started to play with the Christmas crackers, we told him to wait because we would pull them after we'd eaten.
He reluctantly agreed, and we waited for the other guests to take their places.
Then a rep, who we didn't recognise came over and asked if we were with First Choice or Crystal.
We explained that we were with Inghams - and she told us that we were in the wrong place, that our dinner was in the restaurant that night and we had to leave.
We couldn't explain to our grandson why we were leaving the Christmas crackers and all that clearly went with a Christmas dinner, naturally he was upset, and so were we.
By this time it was 7.30pm, the buffet we should have been was only supposed to be 17.30 to 19.30 and there wasn't much food left because they were clearing away.

We realised that First Choice and Crystal's guests were having a Christmassy meal with entertainment for their last night - we didn't even get that for Christmas Day.

Seventh day - Sunday 28th December

No room at the Inn
We had to leave the rooms by 12 noon so time was short.
We returned our grandsons ski equipment to the Ski Centre, we'd had to pay for it on the Wednesday and complained to the rep. She told us to show them the brochure page where it said that ski equipment was free for under 7's.
As it was we didn't have to do that.
The staff explained in great detail how the Inghams ski hire contract worked.
If you pre-book your ski packages, ski school, and ski equipment in the UK up to 14 days before you are due to travel - the under 7's equipment and ski pass is free, otherwise you have to pay.
It doesn't say that on the page in the brochure. I felt I'd been unfairly relieved of €72, but since time was short we decided to take it up on our return to the UK, and went off to try to get a little bit of skiing done.

When we got to the ski lifts our ski passes didn't work, so we had to trudge back down the slope carrying our skis and returned to the ski centre to find out why they didn't work.
Again the staff explained that the contract was not to their liking (they would have preferred to give a 7 day pass) but was arranged specifically that way at Inghams request.
The Inghams 6 day ski pass plus one day free is an illusion, because you are paying for seven days.
Only a fool would believe that anything is free in business, but Inghams clearly think their customers are fools they charge them for seven days, but give them 6, because that's what they pay the ski centre for, then, if the customer does any skiing on the last day they will have to pay for the seventh day.
Since most people spend the last day waiting around for an airport transfer thats a days ski pass you paid for but didn't get. If you hired ski clothing, Inghams want them returned on the last morning, so on the last day no skiing is possible although you have paid for it. Christmas Day the lifts are closed but we paid for a full day.
Christmas Eve the lifts are closed for half a day, but we paid for a full day.
Boxing Day the lifts are closed for half a day, but we paid for a full day.

From 12 noon on the last day, if you are on the 21.30 flight out of Kittila, you must spend 6 hours waiting in reception, hoping that your bags will be safe in the baggage room, for which the hotel and Inghams will take no responsibility for; what are you meant to do?
From Monday to Saturday the buffet is open from 17.30 - 19.30, but on Sunday when the late airport transfer is at 18.00 the buffet is open from 18.30 - 19.30. This meant that we couldn't get any dinner at the hotel before a long journey - we thought it was mean.

Having read all of this, I'm sure that you can see that the holiday we believed we were booking was not the holiday we got. Our Christmas was ruined, we had a miserable time and felt abused and humiliated. This holiday cost us over £5,000, and we are not happy.
We had the right to expect better from what is supposed to be the leading ski/snow holiday operator.
Sorry to hear about your terrible holiday, Chris. The whole thing does sound pretty appalling and, whilst you may not have much of a case for most of the meals (except the Christmas dinner) and the flight change, it does seem that Ingrahms advertised many services that were either not available or, at best, were "watered down" to what they hoped they could get away with.

When booking excursions they would discount or exempt very small children, but insisted on charging for a seat on the bus - however, each time we were on a bus, the rep would ask if small children could sit on guest laps because there weren't enough seats.

That's priceless... I can't believe they had the nerve to do that.

I would certainly contact Ros or another lawyer specializing in travel law. You can find her contact information in various threads on the site. The false advertising from Ingrahms would lead me to try to get a 100% refund, especially since they misrepresented what should have been the highlight of the entire holiday - the visit with Santa in the "secret village location." Isn't that the point of going to Lapland... to see Santa with his reindeer and such?

There were fish nuggets and oven chips, a processed smoked meat in a thick dark jellied gravy, potatoes that at first sight looked like pasta, rice, square chunks of carrot, what appeared to be the boiled fish that we usually got for dinner at the buffet, chicken pieces in some sort of sauce.

Mmm yummy. :(
I'd be tempted to sue them, even if they offer a decent settlement, just out of principle.
I have read your complaint and can understand how you feel - however - it is far too long and detailed for you to get a sensible response.

From past postings here on HT the consensus is that replies only ever seem to express sympathy that your holiday was not up to expectations, and then answer just one complaint. The process goes on forever and people just give up.

May I suggest that you contact Ros Fernihough who is a travel law solicitor, she has assisted many of our members, although she does not read this forum and has no connection with HT - except for a lot of satisfied people.

The direct number to Ros's PA Pam is 01922 705134

Or try the switchboard number 01922 633214 and ask for Travel Dept.

None of us on here are experts and can only really express our personal opinions.

fwh
I'm no expert but you really need to cut that letter down to the key facts - what was advertised and what was not, where Inghams are at fault etc. Cut out all the padding about we had this drink, walking to the ski lift and back, playing with crackers, detailed description of aged reindeer etc. You can't say things like "I would expect this that and the other in a luxury hotel" and then claim Inghams are at fault because theses things weren't available.

My suggestion is (and I am not a lawyer) is to cut it down to no more than two pages clearly stating what was advertised and not supplied, what extra costs you had to pay, and a reasonable amount for loss of enjoyment.

As it stands your letter will always find it's way back to the bottom of the pile.
Hi,

I would agree with AHV ...

Take out things like the departure issue, where you had to hang around for ages .... it is normal that you have to be out of your room by 12 ... if your flight isn't until 6PM, well then you are going to have to wait ... normally you leave your luggage in a locked room & come back when your transfer is ready.

How did you book the holiday ... via a travel agent in a shop? via the phone, internet? Just that if booked the holidat via an travel agent in a shop ... I would have gone back in there & complained about the 7 day exursion before going on the holiday ... did you have a brochure from the travel agent? did you read the t&cs in the back?

Mark
Definately cut it right down. Bullet points. What was advertised against what was received.

I have received a complaint letter today which is 3 pages long but in fact there are only 2 issues. I have had to wade through a lot of waffle and sarcasm to get to the actual complaints.
Thanks folks,

Really appreciate your replies.

You are quite right about trying to cut down on the areas of complaint,

and as for the reply they gave, well, perhaps I should post it, because it drove us nuts.

So sorry if this next post is even longer.

Chris.
Chris, please do not reproduce the letter in detail, as it could be subject to copyright.

Many thanks.

Kath x
Okay, here is the answer they gave us, slightly abridged.
I stand corrected, sorry about that -- of course you are quite right that is not a risk worth running.

Was sorry to hear about your booking of ski packs etc. We refer you to the brochure conditions.

We apologise about the change of flight times, but we do reserve the right to make those changes.
We are sorry you didn't get to sit together, but we did warn you that you might be separated by the aisle.

In our opinion the hotel is located on the opposite side of the fell to the resort, and that it is a ski in/ski out hotel.
We consider the meals at the hotel to be a good standard, for Lappish hotels.

Ski packages and excursions are non-refundable, and that's in the welcome information.
Our representative advised you to contact your travel insurance.

We were sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the Christmas dinner, we did our best to make sure that you got your dinner before anybody else, and it did take place in the a la carte restaurant.

We were sorry to hear about your incident on the reindeer safari. We checked on this but nobody could confirm it, we are also sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the husky safari and Santa's secret home.

Checkout is at 12 noon, half-board guests first meal is dinner and the last meal is breakfast on the day of departure.

We think it is a lovely hotel, other guests seem to think so, so we don't agree that you can have compensation.

That is the modified version, to avoid any possible copyright issues.
After what we've been through, that reply drove us nuts, although I must admit that after some of the comments that have been made here, I'm no longer surprised at the way the answer was crafted.
May I suggest that you contact Ros Fernihough who is a travel law solicitor, she has assisted many of our members, although she does not read this forum and has no connection with HT - except for a lot of satisfied people.

The direct number to Ros's PA Pam is 01922 705134

Or try the switchboard number 01922 633214 and ask for Travel Dept.

This is what I said before. Same still applies. Based on the synopsis of the reply you have posted then, in my opinion, Ros is probably your only chance of getting any further.

fwh
We will phone her tomorrow and see what she says,

Thanks,

Chris.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.