Greece - Corfu Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Corfu.
Corfu
10 Posts
Hi hudo - we are going to Corfu for the first time this summer, after recommendations from my sister who loves it. We are staying at Steven's on the hill in Agios Gordios. I don't know what the prices are like this year, but we've been to various Greek resorts for years, and although prices have obviously increased, it's not dramatically. We went to Kefalonia 2 years ago, which is probably one of the more expensive islands, and when I compared prices with my sister, who went to Turkey, we paid less for most things. I haven't been to Goa, but listening to others, Greece will be more expensive. I'd put prices as slightly cheaper than the UK, but as far as drinks are concerned, you have to remember that the measures are considerably larger.
I agree with Helen. I doubt you'll find anywhere in Europe as cheap as Goa so if you're looking at similar prices, I'd say forget it. It's horses for courses really as long as you're not expecting cheap, you can do Corfu on a reasonable budget. Like all places there are expensive places to eat and drink and also cheaper ones. I love the Greek islands and especially Corfu. I can recommend Kassiopi as a resort and if you'd like to know more about it, let me know :tup

Hubby and I are holidaying with Helen and her OH in Agios Gordios this year but haven't been there before. however our research tells us that it's going to be another place we'll love.
HI

Thanks to both of you. I don't think anywhere is as cheap as Goa, but we are in dispute this year, as I want to go away for our anniversary, and we generally go goa november and april, so we cannot do it all. We have been to rhodes and loved it and the people. So many people have said about Corfu that I would really like to try it. Not having been europe for a few years, roughly how much would you say are the drinks and food, just so I know how much to budget for, roughly as I know we all drink and eat differently.
Once again thank you to both of you.
Sorry just one more question, would you book a package or flight and accommodation seperately?

Many thanks
This year we have booked flights with Easy Jet from Bristol and accommodation direct with the owners. As far as we can remember, last year we paid on average 2 Euros for a pint, and anything upwards of 6 Euros for a main meal. It depends if you want to eat at traditional tavernas, or in the more up market establishments.
  • Edited by Helen T 2012-03-20 16:05:58
Just before we get into it too much hudo, did you say you were thinking of going in April? Just two points there-
1. If you're gonig for the weather, it's not going to be great in April.
2. package operators don't start their holidays there until the first week in May.

Hubby and I went to Kassiopi to celebrate oour silver wedding 6 years ago. We flew out on the first flight of the season and although it was a good time of the year to see the flowers and greenery the pools and sea were very cold. We had a couple of episodes of rain but we did get some nice sunshine too and did come back with a tan.

Hubby and I go self catering (never cook though) or B&B, eat out most meals and have a few drinks and we could probably do 2 weeks for say £1200 at a push. No doubt if you really looked for places off the beaten track and didn't have a couple of drinks every night you may be able to do it cheaper.
Hi,

No sorry we are going 26/27 July for two weeks, so that is fine, but I think it is the most expensive time of getting there. But our anniversary is on the 29th, so want to be in place by then so we can find a nice restaurant to celebrate. We are like you we would go b/b or self catering but would eat out, is that 1200 just spending money for two weeks? This is just so I know what I will need.

I really appreciate your help.

Many thanks
Hudo, yes we would spend about £1200 between us both for the 2 weeks. That would include air conditioning (not normally included in the accomodation price if SC), most of our meals, drinks and probably the hire of a quad bike for one day. We don't do organised trips any more, prefering to go our own way. We also have to go at peak times as I work in a school.

We normally go to Greece on a package holiday but this year we are going DIY. It hasn't worked out any cheaper but the apartments we fancied aren't featured with a TO this year. we are flying Easyjet and have booked our apartments direct with the owner online.
It's a looooooong time since we went to Corfu for 2 weeks at the end of August (think it was 1996) - my first year using my holiday concessions at First Choice holidays.

Having been on holiday to Crete, Rhodes, Cyprus, Canaries, Balearics and Tunisia in the years preceding our holiday to Corfu we were pleasantly surprised to find that we spent less holiday money whilst in the resort than we had spent on any of our other holidays before. We came back with money in our pocket, which was most unusual!

We were in Sidari and hired a jeep for 3 days to tour around the island and we also took the day cruise to Albania. We were on a S/C basis and ate out for breakfast and our evening meal, often having lunch by the pool at the Zafiris Apt complex or grabbing a quick sandwich back at the apartment.

We have been to India too - the Golden Triangle tour and a week in Goa afterwards and yes, it's cheap to eat and drink out. But they are entirely different kinds of holidays as well as having different cost of living so it's difficult to compare them side by side.

In Corfu and elsewhere on holiday, we always drink local drinks (beers and the odd spirit) rather than imported stuff so our eating & drinking habits don't really change.

Not sure if it helps you but we really loved Corfu and would definitely go back at some stage.

Shell
Limassol, Cyprus
Hudo
If you want a quiet sort of place with lovely scenery and great beach then consider Agios Georgios north in the north-west of Corfu
http://www.agiosgeorgios.info.

For 2 weeks package holidays will usually work out cheaper and include transfers but don't rule out going independently as it is easy. The above web-site contains some links to help you. You can also email queries from there. From UK Thomsons have package holidays at Theo's Hotel and Costas Golden Beach Hotel. As its name suggests the latter is situated overlooking the beach whereas Theo's is on the side of a pleasant valley with great views about 8minutes walk from the beach. We have stayed at Theo's for many years.

There are ample friendly tavernas and restaurants including some rather special ones for your celebrations. I am thinking of Dionysos or Porto Timoni on the headland at nearby Afionas looking down on Agios Georgios bay ( see links on http://www.agiosgeorgios.co.uk/afionas1.htm. Then there is the remote and rustic Fisherman's Cabin for an usual setting and memorable fish meals http://www.agiosgeorgios.co.uk/fishermans.htm.

Just part of the view from Dionysos Restaurant !

Http://www.agiosgeorgios.co.uk/dionysosview.jpg

Dennis
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.