Spain - Canary Islands - Lanzarote Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Lanzarote.
I can help with some of the prices, and the old and new town have roughly the same prices. There are tapas bars in both places, but not what you would really call cheap.

1. cheapest red wine in supermarket around 2€, restaurant probably 10€
2. sorry, no idea, prices vary wildly!!
3. local brandy i.e. Veterano 8€ a bottle
4. 5€ perhaps?
5 a range of all you can eat chinese buffets from 6.95€ per person
6 loads of bars have boards up with menu of the day

HTH :cheers
Thanks Sue, is the old town a nice place to stay ? I stayed in Pdc 20 years ago, at Matagorda when they were doing lots of building work. I loved Lanzarote and always said I would come back but have never got round to it as our son didn`t setle too well on flights so we have stuck to shorter flight.

I am looking at the Flora apartments ,which are being refurbished at the moment, I have read reviews which are mixed and also I am aware that the promanade has building work at the moment.So taking all things into consideration, my next research is the costs. We like to eat a lunch and an evening meal out. We like a bottle of wine with our evening meal. Drinks we like the local stuff ,usually a glass of wine and the odd brandy and coke. We are not into fancy places, just nice places that make children welcome. Would be be able to manage on around £500-£600 spend for a week for 2 adults and a child. Only trips we would do would be to local towns.

ps is there a large supermarket near to the old town, by large I mean one that sell things at reasonable prices, won`t be buying english products that have over inflated prices.
I have been trying to work this out for you christine!!! I have had my son staying, so have eaten out a lot more than usual, and it has been expensive!!! I really think it's the drinks prices that bump the cost of a meal up! A water, fizzy drink, or a glass of wine mostly all cost the same. Yesterday's lunch for the two of us cost 15€, and that was two (very nice) sandwiches, two small beers and a coke. This seemed expensive to me, even though each individual item didn't strike me as such!! Not sure how that compares to UK if you were to buy the same in, say, Pret a Manger or M and S? And of course we were sat on the sea front in the sun :sun2

I think your budget is doable, though perhaps not eating lunch out every day would ease it a bit? There is a large supermarket under Flora, with average prices, and yes I like the old town! Well, I like it all really!!! :D

Although you didn't say the age of your child, children are welcomed (and liked) everywhere here!!!
Thanks Sue, to be honest I think I would need alot more spend, for the last few years we have stayed half board in Spain so not spent as much on meals. One of the reasons I am trying to work out costs is that I first visited Lanzarote when I was younger and had just got my first house so I went on a budget holiday, I have always said that when I return I want to be able to do the things I didn`t on my last visit. I think Spain is becoming more expensive since they started using the euro. Last year we werr paying 2 euros for a soft drink or icecream a few of these a day can really add up.
I was hoping that we could get a one coures meal and drinks for around 30 euros but I think we would be limited in places to eat.

I am going to watch the euro for the next few weeks before I book and relook at my finances.
I have to say christine, that I think you are very sensible. When you're on holiday you do want to have a drink when you want, a snack when you want etc!! If Lanzarote is where you really want to go, then yes, you could do it on the budget, but you would have to be watching yourself all the time. That's not what a holiday is about really is it!!!!!
Thanks for your help Sue. I will be coming to Lanzarote in the next few years, hopefully this year. Got passports to renew this year as well and already have a holiday to Ibiza booked for summer, so that was another reason to watch my purse.

Hope to speak to you again soon
Christine
We found the wine in the supermarkets very cheap, Christine. Even if the euro is €1/£1, you can get something decent for about €4-6. Me and hubby are real wine drinkers, and don't drink cheap stuff, either. Even in the restaurants, it's still cheaper than the UK. However, this WAS last year, and I don't know how prices have changed.
We know we are going to have to budget when we go in March, but I don't mind as I just need to get away and RELAX. We know we probably can't afford to hire a car, or go out every night. We don't mind as this holiday is going to be about lying horizontal in the sun and reading a book! :sun2
I am a pretty good cook, and although I won't want to be chained to the cooker, I know I can russel something up decent. The seafood in the supermarkets I found to be v cheap. For me, there is nothing better than a lovely salad (the tomatoes in Lanzarote are the best I have ever had), some spanish meats and bread and oil/vinegar. Sitting on a balcony/terrance, in the sun. Away from the UK, the cold and the stress.
OMG, I'm getting old!!! I'm turning into my mother! :really

In a nutshell, both me and hubby need a holiday. We know we won't have much money to take, but we are prepared for that. All we care about this March is relaxation and sun.
Christine, the old town is where we are going too. I think it's lovely. It's close enough to the new town to walk, but I find the restaurants in the old town and the atmosphere better.
There is a good supermarket, near to c/reina sofia (Sorry, can't remember the exact road they're on, could actually be ON that road). Easy to find, anyway.
The harbour is lovely, but the food is a little more expensive around there.
Good_Queen_Bess wrote:
We found the wine in the supermarkets very cheap, Christine. Even if the euro is €1/£1, you can get something decent for about €4-6. Me and hubby are real wine drinkers, and don't drink cheap stuff, either. Even in the restaurants, it's still cheaper than the UK. However, this WAS last year, and I don't know how prices have changed.
We know we are going to have to budget when we go in March, but I don't mind as I just need to get away and RELAX. We know we probably can't afford to hire a car, or go out every night. We don't mind as this holiday is going to be about lying horizontal in the sun and reading a book! :sun2
I am a pretty good cook, and although I won't want to be chained to the cooker, I know I can russel something up decent. The seafood in the supermarkets I found to be v cheap. For me, there is nothing better than a lovely salad (the tomatoes in Lanzarote are the best I have ever had), some spanish meats and bread and oil/vinegar. Sitting on a balcony/terrance, in the sun. Away from the UK, the cold and the stress.
OMG, I'm getting old!!! I'm turning into my mother! :really

In a nutshell, both me and hubby need a holiday. We know we won't have much money to take, but we are prepared for that. All we care about this March is relaxation and sun.

Good Queen Bess - you have just described my perfect holiday!!! We last visited Lanzarote in 2007 and thought the prices had risen then, so we are coming at Easter with the thought of eating out occasionally and having a nice relaxing drink in the harbour. I usually rustle up some rolls at lunchtime and will maybe cook a dinner or two to be eaten on the patio - pure heaven! Can't wait - especially after all this snow we're having! Counting down now ... 8 weeks tomorrow!
Well, Chris. If we COULD afford to go out every lunch and dinner, we would. But we know we won't be able to afford it. But it's a week in sunny hot Lanzarote, in the middle of winter. It's better than a week in the UK, in the cold! :sun2 :cheers :tup
Absolutely. You're going before me - can you report back on how the roadworks are going on your return?
I was thinking that we couldn`t afford I think now it would be possible. Thanks Good Queen Bess. We love our wine as well and have an idea what to choose in the supermarket. Got me thinking about ali oil, bread, cheese, spainish omelette, a glasss of wine and the sun shining down. Bliss.
Mmmmmm. :sun2
Sangre de Torro is always a good bet for wine. Nothing to write home about, but a good solid, reliable, nice drinking red rioja. Cheapish too!
You can buy ali oli in Morrisons! Great on a french stick!!! :tup
Chivas I buy ali oil from morrisons and Spainish Omelette from Sainsburys. Asda sell Marques red wine for £3.
I would like to thank everyone for their help, I have booked for Benalmadena half board at the Bali, I found a good deal and we love the place.
Perhaps next year I will have another go at trying to get to Lanzarote the pound may be stronger and it will give more time to save.
Isn't it called Ali oli? Or are you talking about something else? It's the little yellow pot, sort of like Mayo and garlic!
I thought it was alioli.

As regards the cost of living in PDC, I am willing to spend 6 months to a year living there. If HT is willing to pay my expenses, I will be happy to spend that time dedicated to quantative and qualatitive reseach. :sun2 :cheers ........... Aw, go on.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.