Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
cost of living
19 Posts
The rate is currently hovering at around £1 = 2.44 to 2.45 Leva in Bulgarian banks, compared with around £1 = 2.88-2.92 Leva last August-September, which will certainly make people from the UK feel that it is more expensive. Bulgarian friends' reports and my own checks on prices at one online store there show that there are increases in the Lev price of foodstuffs (especially) and other goods but the amount is quite small from a Western European perspective - not so from a Bulgarian perspective!

Baldur
Thank you for your reply.We are going to see friends of ours that we made last year and have kept in touch via Skype they play at the Rock Bar in Golden sands.Diano and Orfy a great duo. But the friendy Bulgarian people are the best thing about Bulgaria they are realy good people..Thanks again..Paul :cheers Johnson.
the friendy Bulgarian people are the best thing about Bulgaria they are realy good people.

The majority certainly are, some are most definitely not, as in any country - fortunately, you are unlikely to encounter any of the latter category, as a tourist.
Bulgarian friends' reports and my own checks on prices at one online store there show that there are increases in the Lev price of foodstuffs (especially) and other goods but the amount is quite small from a Western European perspective - not so from a Bulgarian perspective!

OK, but that's the effect in the real Bulgaria for Bulgarians, ie., THEIR cost of living, but bears no relation at all to how prices in the resorts might have gone up.

We won't know this until we get the first reports back towards the end of May.

Peter
that's the effect in the real Bulgaria for Bulgarians, ie., THEIR cost of living

.....and MINE, for at least part of the year, Peter ;)

Baldur

<Edit> As far as the resorts are concerned, a fairly large number of people who had visited at least one of the Bulgarian ski resorts over the winter period reported significant price increases there.

As Peter says, whether this will be reflected in the coastal resorts this summer remains to be seen.

B
Just managed to book up two weeks in June at the Helios Park hotel. There are not a lot of companies going to golden sands this year they are all sunny beach I wonder why. So we shall be able to meet our friends at the rock bar golden sands. I hope there will be some English people there as there as I say not a lot of choice to golden sands. Thanks for all your help .Paul Johnson.
There are not a lot of companies going to golden sands this year they are all sunny beach I wonder why.

Many of the tour operators have pulled out of the Northern coastal resorts or, like at least some Balkan Holidays' flights, are flying into Burgas airport and transferring clients from there by coach up to Golden Sands, Sveti Konstantin, Albena, etc.

The reason? highly likely to be a commercial decision relating to their profit margin, one suspects - I would speculate that it's probably due to things such as better rates being offered by hoteliers in Sunny Beach (with the massive overdevelopment there, there are a LOT of potentially empty beds to fill) and/or lower airport charges at Burgas compared with Varna, as Burgas is virtually only a summer season airport and the operators, Fraport, need to boost passenger throughput there.
I agree with you Baldur, that's a good assessment.

Peter
Baldur and Peter, can I add my tuppence worth, I feel that another factor is that Albena is becoming more of a All/In Resort and the scope for D.I.Y, S/C in Sunny Beach is in abundance. Tony.
we are going to golden sands the end of june theres 3 of us on an all inclusive deal how much spending money should we take
Hi lal,

we are going to golden sands the end of june theres 3 of us on an all inclusive deal how much spending money should we take

How long is a piece of string?

As Peter and I said above, until the first tourists return after this summer's season starts, no one can accurately guess what prices will be like in the resorts.

The amount that you may need is also dependent on how you want to spend money on holidays, sightseeing, shopping, watersports, etc., etc.

Baldur
all of those, we want to sightsee and eat out now and then
Hopefully some of the regulars will be able to give you some idea of what they usually take, afraid that I can't as I tend not to go into the resorts. Remember to allow around 20% extra (at least) on any Sterling figures that you are given, because of the Pound's current weakness on the forex markets, compared with last year.

It will probably help if you say how long you are there - 1 week/10 days/2weeks?
we re staying 2 weeks at riviera complex.
The Riviera complex is at the very south of the resort & close to the bus stop into Varna.

Have a look through the 'things to do' sticky at the top of the page, on there you will find a list of excursions from Golden Sands, if you add about 10% to the prices I quoted it should give you some idea of costs to expect for this year.

Patka
hi all my mother-in-law is going to bulgaria next month but not sure where she is going yet as in what resort and she has been told everything is cheap there is this true. :-)
Hi katwoman,

Welcome to the board.
she has been told everything is cheap there is this true.

Bulgarian prices are very low in comparison with the UK but prices in the resorts tend to be higher than in the 'real' Bulgaria. See HERE.

Baldur
A pint of beer and a Big Mac costs just GBP 1.49 in Bulgaria, making it the world's best value holiday hotspot for Brits, the survey claimed.
I do hope that this is not the reason you all go!! ;)
:sun2 grz Tanny
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.