Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
cost of living
11 Posts
yes in comparison to europe turkey is still very cheap
and the exchange rate is good approx 2.7 ytl to the pound
cost of meals vary from 3ytl up this is dependant on where you eat in the main tourist area's the prices are alot more but the little turkish eateries out side the main tourist area's it is very cheap
beer is approx 3.5 -4.0 ytl
cocktails are very expensive as they are made using inport drinks
acomadation i would say for two people a bed and breakfast hotel package / or half board would proberbly be best
self catering is great but it pays to have at least 4 of you to split the cost of rental
a/i good value if you get the rigt price but dont stay in the hotel complex or you will miss the best bits of turkey
thanks maverick thats really helpful.the only time we've gone a/i is to sharm because the drinks are quite pricey.
keep to local drinks and its not a bad price and the beer effes is really moreish
Hi Bushbaby,

It really depends on where you eat out as regards cost. As Maverick says, you can eat for as little as 3tl outside of the main resorts - but that would still only buy you something very basic: a couple of small,thin lahmucan (flatbread pizza-type things - very tasty!) or a cheese toast- that sort of thing.

I think if you want to have the usual 2/3 course meal in an average restauarant, plus a couple of drinks, you should budget for about 20tl per person. You could pay less of course, or much more - it depends on what you choose, and where you're eating.

As for self-catering: I suppose you could make savings that way, although from my experience, once you've bought all the ingrediants for your meal - it doesn't work out much cheaper than going to a restaurant and having it cooked for you. Although, the more of you there are, then the cheaper self-catering will work out at.

And you have lots of advantages in going self-catering:

You can eat what you want - when you want

You're never stuck with eating two-weeksworth of food you may hate

You don't have to go down to breakfast all bleary-eyed before it finishes!

You don't have to make yourself look respectable every evening. So tiring after all that sunbathing!

You can choose to eat at any restaurant that takes your fancy - without feeling you're wasting money by not eating your pre-paid-for dish.

And if you do fancy eating in an all-inclusive for one night only - most hotels will happily take your business.

Happy holiday anyway!

Strawberry :)
thanks strawberry 7
dont get me wrong i'd never cook on s/c-do enough of that at home! but we do like to eat at different restaurants and if a s/c deal came up we'd try that.as you say its nice to not have to keep to meal times when your on holiday.we just came back from goa bb and my oh went to breakfast once in 2 weeks.i'm going to keep my options open and see what kind of offers are aroung in september.hoping for a good deal when the kids go back to school
sue
I often choose self catering because you tend to get a bigger room with separate bedroom (unless it's a studio - in which case it will still be bigger) and you are guaranteed a fridge, which is great whilst on hols. Last year we didn't cook anything whatsoever but we did have coffee and tea in - the fridge was for cool beer and water.
thanks for all your replies but i still haven't found out about wine yet-is the local stuff any good and approx price. i dont mind red or white.in goa the local white was quite good but the red was very heavy,but in egypt the local red was better than the white. we always like the local beer but like a bottle of wine with our dinner
thanks
sue
Kavaklidere is a very popular wine producer in Turkey.

Their red wine is called Yakut - and most restauarants charge between 25 and 30tl a bottle. It's an OK wine, fairly light-bodied - and is probably one of the best wines they do.

Their white wine is called Cankaya, costs between 22 and 27tl in a restaurant. Again, an OK wine.

Another popular, cheaper wine is called Doluca (about 20tl in a restaurant) - very plonkish, and very rough! :yikes

I always stick with the Yakut and Cankaya when choosing a bottle, and although they're very basic wines, they're perfectly drinkable.

Strawberry
Yes, I prefer Cankaya - there is also another wine called Antik. I am not sure of the price as we didn't have any last year but I think it is about the same as cankaya (or a little more expensive, but not much). I only drink white wine so can't comment on the reds.
thanks for that strawberry 7 and prawn-much the same as egypt for local wines then.
sue
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.