Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Hi All

Thanks for the info so far!

One thing about taking cash though - my better half is worried about taking so much cash as it may not be covered by insurance like Travellers Cheques are - any opinions?

One more thing - we will be HB for 2 weeks - any suggestions as to how much we may need - not including car hire or excursions ?

Cheers

David
It should say within your insurance policy how much is covered. If not contact the people you had the policy through.

As for spends, it depends on how many of you are going & whether you intend on buying lots of clothes & prezzies. We take £600 for 2 weeks & still come home with some. There is only the two of us, but we go B&B so eat out every night.

Is it your first time to Bugaria :?:

TEPE
X
Thanks for the info

yep its put 1st time to Bulgaria - thought we would try somewhere that seemed a little different, and on the recommendation of a few friends and family etc.

Not planning on buying too much stuff over there, with the amount of clothes my wife takes :wink: we never have the weight allowance left!

We were planning on around £700 for the two of us but think may reduce it to £500 and a credit / debit card backup now after reading through the posts!

Cant wait til we're on the plane now! :fly

Dave
You have worried me there Tony T , I deliberately chose Bulgaria because I needed a break and funds are at an all time low.....thought it would be a good cheap option......

From what you are saying there prices are on a par with spain and italy......has anyone recently returned from Golden Sands who can report upto date food and drink prices?????

It seems from previous posts its a lot cheaper in varna, so maybe I would be better spending my days and (wild) nights there......

Happy holidays

Patxx
Hi, I have always bought my fruit in the Varna Market, always has been that much cheaper and plenty to choose from. Some of the stallholders will even cut an apple, orange or give you a cherry or grape to try, they need the cash. The newspaper article stated that the Hotels are trying to keep prices down but it is the greedy traders who are taking advantage. Tonyt.
Its a good idea to take debit/credit cards with you, but check with your bank too see if tere are any charges. :?

Your wife will probably want to buy clothes while you are there, as they are really cheap :tup

Hope you have a really great time. When are you going & which resort are you staying on :?:
beer at 5 lev a bottle

:? is this imported beer or all beer including Astika,Kamenitza ? :P

cheers Stevie
Hi DOA,

The report came from what appears to be the Bulgarian equivalent of 'The Sun', Standart News, so there may be more than an element of sensationalist journalism involved. :wink:

6 x 1 litre bottles of Zagorka from Metro in Varna (at today's prices) cost 7.56 Leva (approx. £2.66) or 1.26 Lev each (approx. 44pence) or 24 x 500ml cans of Tuborg (imported) work out at around 1.24 Lev each (approx. 43.5 pence) so, if the report is true, this would be blatant profiteering.

Baldur
We visited Bulgaria two times last summer.
First Sunny Beach and then Golden Sands, and we found that verything was more expensive in Golden Sands.
Hi Magic,

Albena tends to be more expensive than either Golden Sands or Sunny Beach, so Tony T's report should give a good indication of average prices.

Baldur
thanks peeps, I knew from the last 3 yrs we pay more in GS than in Varna but it was still great value for money.......but if the price hike quoted by Pete were true then it would be on a par with the Costas where it has alot more sun, but the people are alot less friendly.

cheers Stevie
Hi Baldur,

I`ve got a friend who is visiting Golden Sands now, and I sendt him a text message asking about the 5 lev pr. beer prices.

This is his reply:

"They might charge you 5 Leva for a pint somewhere, but what I have seen is between 2 and 3 leva. The four of us had a great meal and got really drunk the other day, and the we paid 100 Leva. We are talking loads of beer here"

Sounds good to me :D
Thanks for the update magic......2-3 lev sounds fine to me.....I am sure that not every bar is profiteering but it does sound like a worrying trend starting. It could end up with the situation like it is in Marmaris now where all the bar owners meet up at the start of the season to agree their inflated barprices and have a pact not to compete with each other. I know this as my ex lived their working for 2 years.

When I am back in 3 weeks I will post a thorough update on prices in Golden Sands...in clubs, hotels , bars and restraunts.

Anyway no point fretting over it now.....I leave next THURS....too late to change to sunny beach....

see ya in the sun

pat :P
any up to date prices would be really handy for all future holidaymakers.
Hi all :)
Sitting in Sunny Beach right now, and here is a small update..

Prices has raised a bit since last summer, but Bulgaria is still cheap.

Pint 2.50-3 Leva (1.10-2 in supermarkets)
Cocktails 4-7 Leva
Kebab 4-5 Leva

Main courses are betwen 8-15 Leva in restaurants.

Sunbeds in the beach is 6 Leva, and umbrelllas are 6 Leva.

Its been a few windy days but mostly sunshine. Water temp is around 20-22 degreece celcius.

This keyboard is really bad, so I cant wite anymore now.

Ill check this thread later to see if there is any qustions!
anyone just back from sunny beach.it would be great to find out how much meals,drinks,clothes etc are this year.
Thanks for that guys 2-3 leva for a beer is fine by me.How much is a liver. :lol: Its gonna be a good week can't wait.
Hi this is Pat ....live from golden sands

Just thought I would give you an update on the actual prices being charged here......

BEER daytime 3 lev for 2 pints in quite a few bars normal 2.5 lev per beer
evening 2.5 to 3 lev for large beer

KEBAB 3.5 lev
BURGER 4 lev
HOT DOG 3lev
FISH AND CHIPS 7 lev
COCA COLA 1-2 LEV
MAIN MEALS 6-20 LEV

CIGS 2.6 lev for 20

TAXIS (whatever they feel like charging you lol) negotiate first!!!!

whether is warm here not scorching hot though

golden sands is quiet but that is nice
Plenty of bars showing all world cup games .....

Hope this helps.....

PAT :D
hi all,
can anyone tell me who,s been to bulgaria this year if the prices have gone up for almost everything, i,ve just been informed from a friend that the prices in varna were really expensive this year is this just in varna or is it all over? my friend has just come back from varna it was his first time to bulgaria but from what he was told by friends who,s been a few times was how cheap everything is over there.
well my friend was quiet shocked that he was paying £1.50 for a pint of larger as he was told its likely to be around the 50p mark.
also a three course meal for himself and girlfriend cost around £25 and that was,nt just in one place as they tried a few other places to eat also.
so guys/girls whos been this year can you clarify if this is all over bulgaria now or just in varna :?: :?: :?:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.