Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
I would just add to the comments above that only in Business Elite are alcoholic drinks free. In Economy/Coach they charge $5 for wine/spirits. Soft beverages are however complimentary.
With all the current instability in the airline industury, just wondered if anybody knows much about the financial stability of Delta airlines as i have a flight booked for my honeymoon with them next year.

Thanks
jake burns,

Delta are a mainstream US airline. Like many of the airlines at the moment, profits are being hit and its a difficult time for them. Delta are a long standing airline though so things should be ok with them.

Darren
Thanks mate, that's reassuring to know.
does anyone know how long you have to give for check in for a delta flight from Edinburgh - JFK?

I am flying with them in 4 weeks - what kind of plane will it be? I know you get complimentary soft drinks but do you get a proper meal in economy class or is it just a snack?
pinkyjo,

EDI-JFK are operated by a Boeing 757-200. It is recommeneded you check-in at least 2 hours before your flight is scheduled to depart. You'll get a proper meal, all the infomaton is on Delta's website.

Darren
Is online check-in available from Delta in the UK?
busdriver,

I think online check-in is only available for flights where you don't require a visa (you presumably have to show it at check-in). More here.

Darren
Found out today that on-line checkin is available with Delta from the UK...well, Manchester at least!
Looking to book a flight with Delta to Las Vegas in April. Just want to check that I am understanding things correctly when booking with them, and that there is no charge for choosing seats when booking. Is this what people tend to do or do they just wait until check-in and getting whatever seat is allocated to them.
uktony,

It's personal preference really. If you like to sit in a particular part of the aircraft, eg a window or isle, some prefer to select their seat. If you're not too fussed, just wait until check-in.

Darren
Thanks for the info Dazbo.

Do you know if there is a charge when you pre-book seats with Delta? I have done a dummy booking so to speak and the price doesn't change when you pre-select seats, just seems like one of those instances when something seems to good to be true it isually is. Wherever I've seen the option with other airlines of pre-booking seats there has always been a charge for this.
uktony,

I think fees apply in some cases, but not all. There's loads of information on Delta's website.

Darren
I don't think there is a charge for pre-booking your seat. It is usually the charters and low cost airlines that charge. Most of the scheduled airlines don't.

luci :wave
Some of the scheduled airlines are starting to charge for seats in demand such as exit rows, not all though.

Darren
Yes, that's why I said most and not all. We have never been charged for choosing our seats with the major American airlines such as American Airlines, United, North West, etc. However the exit row seats are not usually available to book in advance.

Several times I have chosen the best seats available when booking and been able to change them for better seats at check in.

I booked a flight from Edinburgh to Vegas months ago with Delta airlines with a change at New York. However they have changed my flight from Edinburgh to a later time and i now only have 1hr and 45min between flights at New York instead of 4 hours, my questions are:

1) Is this long enough to disembark, reclaim luggage and check in again?
2) Can i check my luggage right through without reclaiming at New York?
3) Is there any likelihood i would not need to get of the plane, ie, how would i know if it was perhaps the same plane moving on to Vegas?
4) Would they delay the connecting flight if the first flight was delayed?

thanks
jake burns,

Given you only have a short amount of time to transfer, I think you'll be pushing it to make your connection in that amount of time. If you could through-check your luggage, you'd be ok but to check-in for your connection, I think you'll be struggling there. If you are travelling with Delta, or a Sky Team partner airline, then you should be able to through-check you baggage so you only need to get on to your connecting flight; your luggage will be taken of. The flight to New York won't then go on to Las Vegas, you'll have to connect to another flight (aircraft). They won't delay a flight unless there is a significant number of passengers missing. Time is money! If you missed the flight, they'd transfer you on to the next available flight.

Darren
You will need to clear immigration and customs in New York so will have to retreive your luggage and then put it back on the belt for the onward journey. You will be pushing it in 1h 45m, but it could be done if you are near the front of the immigration queue.

Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.