Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Delta Airlines
88 Posts
ive just booked a flight this weekend for my mum to new york 10 june,and delta came in cheapest £339 1 week return,manchester jfk,i checked the prices out on flightline(i didnt know this website existed until i read the forum)and then got the same deal via expedia in there january sale.a lot of the other airlines were quoting £500 plus.hope delta are ok :) mo
I flew Delta Airlines (economy) from London Heathrow down to Santiago, Chile in late December (few days before Christmas) returning the second week of January. Before flying I researched prices and they where the cheapest by far. The only issue with the flight was a long lay-over at Atlanta, one of Delta's main hubs in the US together with Salt Lake City. The flight from London to Santiago normally takes 18 hours :shock: but with the lay overs it was about 25 hours this time. Delta's long-haul services have expanded strongly in Latin America - they are filling the void left by the end of United Airlines direct flights to the region.

All together the service on Delta was good - the cabin crew was very friendly and eager to help. My only complain would be their planes. Due to their financial troubles it is evident their plane fleet of Boeings has not been updated in years. The seat pitch is poor, the in-flight entertainment non-existent and the overall look and feel very old. Also if you have the opportunity I would recommend you request the vegetarian meal on Delta. You 1) get served almost 20 minutes before anybody else and 2) get fresh green pasta and fuit as opposed to food that has been heated about 10 times. I would recommend Delta as value for money. If you are looking for a better experience, go for British Airways or Virgin Atlantic.
flying manchester to new york [jfk] with delta on 27th dec 2006. direct flight.
Has anyone recently flown with this airline before and what were your experiances with them
thanks

EDIT: enquiry merged with previous topic
David HT Mod
I'm flying with Delta to Orlando, via JFK in August. They were certainly cheaper than any chartered airline. I look forward to reading any reviews on this route, and I shall certainly post my experiences.
Hi am flying to New York with Delta later this year.Just wondered if they are ok, am flying out Manchester, would like to hear if anyone has done this route recently, and what immagration is like other side, and onward travel into New York from JFK
Jay
I believe this MAN/JFK route is one of the new routes from the UK that commences later this year. I doubt anyone can therefore comment on the service ex MAN.

I have flown DL several times from Gatwick to Atlanta and on various domestic services with them. As far as the international services go they get you from A to B but are not a patch on BA/VS or even some other US airlines. The B767's (which will be on the MAN service) are past their best. They used to fly B777 ex LGW on one of the ATL services but moved that on to Paris services over a year ago. That was a shame as the B777 wins hands down on the B767. The crew always seem to give the impression that they would rather not be working. Food nothing to write home about. Alcoholic drinks are also charged for in economy. Delta Elite is better. Crew and food improved on Y class. Leather seats but they don't fully recline. No on demand movies either. Again their business class product does not match to other carriers. All that said, as MAN/JFK would be little over a 6 hour flight I'm sure you will find them tolerable.
Hi, wonder if anyone can help? My sister and her new husband leave tomorrow for their honeymoon to Las Vegas flying from Edinburgh via Atlanta. Can anyone tell me what type of aircraft they use from Edinburgh as I was going to check on seatguru.com where their seats are situated. I also wondered if it would be possible for me to contact the airline to see if they could maybe arrange for them to make an announcement on the flight that it is their honeymoon and present them with champagne or something as a nice surprise for them from me. They fly at 2pm tomorrow so I don't have much time to arrange it, so how would be the best way for me to do it? Hope someone can help. Cheers.
Sorry, never mentioned that it is Delta Airlines that my sister and her husband are flying on. cheers.
Mary Jo

Think you have left it a bit late.You needed to contact Delta Customer services to arrange the suprise but they usually need a week or so notice.Cabin announcements on the day are at the discretion of the crew and Delta long haul crew are not usually noted for being ` friendly`.

The Aircraft to Atlanta will be one of the variants of the Boeing 767.Not sure what the Atlanta to Vegas sector will be operating though.
Delta and United have done a bit of horse-trading. Delta pays US$21mn to United, and in return United stops flying between Heathrow and NYC, while Delta starts flying from Gatwick to NYC. United will still fly from Heathrow to Washington, Chicago and California.

If you're wondering why Delta are using Gatwick, it's for the following reasons:
Only 2 US airlines can fly from London to NYC - one being Delta, now United have sold their rights
Only 2 US airlines can fly out of Heathrow - United still retain this right, along with American
Delta have infrastructure already in place at Gatwick

United have sold their rights, because JFK is a Delta hub, but not a United hub

A possible effect may be that Delta decides to reduce flights from London to Atlanta, now that people can connect at JFK instead
Returned to Manchester from Jfk Nyc last weekend, what a preformance at Jfk, we qued for 2hours outside, before getting into the building, then qued somemore, we were there 3 hours prior to departure. It was 2hours 40mins, before we got through, twenty mins before flight departure.
The Delta ground staff are unhelpful and down right rude. Outside the terminal, the footpath stopped and we waited on the entrance road with taxi's and buses passing us, it was cold and the smell of aviation fuel filled the air. Then when finally in the que to have or hand baggage searched, there was only one security line open, on the Sunday night at least 6 european flights were leaving in a short space of time, it was stupid. The ground staff and set up in Manchester is great, the crews are fine, but Terminal 3 at JFK is dreadful, has anyone else gone through this.
It is not just down to security, as have been through O'Hare on high alert, and it was not like this. Either Delta are paying low usage cost due to being in chapter 11 or there quality of ground staff need a lesson in service skills. They should realize we have the option to fly BA or Continental to Newark.
Jay
I don't think it is worth complaining, as these airlines do nothing anyway.
Can you please tell me what I should expect from this flight? Flying 3 April 2008 MAN-JFK. Is there seat back entertainment? anyone flown this route? All info greatly received.
shoei,

Delta are scheduled to operate a Boeing 767-300/ER on the DL154/5 in April 2008 which don't have seat back IFE. Only the larger -400/ER's which they use on the summer schedule have seat back IFE. For more information, refer to Delta's website.

Darren
Hi,
We are flying with Delta in April to JFK from Manchester Flight No 155 (757-200), JFK to Las Vegas Fl No 421 (737-800), LAS to Orlando MCO Fl No1896 (737-800), MCO- Atlanta Fl No 58 (757-200) and ATL to Manchester MAN Fl No 64 (767-400ER). Can anyone please tell me what entertainment will be on board? Overhead or seatback.

Thankyou
Paul.
shoei,

The various IFE systems are listed on Delta's website. The 737-800 has overhead screans, the 752/764 have seat back systems. I would assume the newly configured 752's will be AVOD, not sure if the 764's are or not.

Darren
Having been on two DL B767-400 flights recently I can tell you that only in Business Elite is it AVOD. Down the back in Coach it is a set series of films/tv. You can check the Delta website to see what movies are being offered.
Delta and Northwest to merge

Delta Air Lines and Northwest Airlines are to merge to create a new airline under the Delta name.

The airlines said the new $17.7 billion company will provide "a more stable platform for future growth in the face of significant economic pressures from rising fuel costs and intense competition".

Delta will have executive offices in Atlanta, Minneapolis/St. Paul and New York, and international executive offices in Amsterdam, Paris and Tokyo. The company's world headquarters will be in Atlanta.

But the airlines said they were also committed to retaining "significant jobs, operations and facilities" in Minnesota.

"In an industry where the US network carriers have shed more than 150,000 jobs and lost more than $29 billion since 2001, the combination of Delta and Northwest creates a company with a more resilient business model that is better able to withstand volatile fuel prices than either can on a standalone basis," said the merger statement.

"Merging Delta and Northwest is the most effective way to offset higher fuel prices and improve efficiencies, increase international presence and fund long-term investment in the business."

But the news was met with opposition from the US airline workers union, The International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers' (IAM).

Its general vice president Robert Roach, Jr. said: "Airline industry consolidation will come at tremendous public expense. We firmly believe this merger is not in the best interest of passengers, employees or the communities these airlines currently serve.

"We will do everything legally possible to oppose any merger that threatens our members' jobs, labour contracts, pensions, seniority, and their right to union representation."

Under the new merged company, Delta CEO Richard Anderson will be chief executive officer, while Delta chairman of the Board Daniel Carp will become chairman of the new Board of Directors.

Northwest chairman Roy Bostock will become vice chairman.

Ed Bastian will be president and chief financial officer. The board of directors will be made up of 13 members, seven of whom will come from Delta's board, and five of whom will come from Northwest's board, plus one from the Air Line Pilots Association.

Delta and Northwest, together, will have more than $35 billion in aggregate annual revenues, a mainline fleet of nearly 800 aircraft and employ around 75,000 people worldwide.

The transaction is expected to generate more than $1 billion in synergies from "more effective aircraft utilisation, a more comprehensive and diversified route system and cost synergies from reduced overhead and improved operational efficiency".

The merger is subject to the approval of Delta and Northwest shareholders and regulatory approvals. It is expected that the regulatory review period will be completed later this year.

With permission from Travelmole
Have been been on the lookout for a while now for a good deal for a flight to las Vegas next march from Edinburgh. Via the Kayak site, i have came up with what looks like a pretty good deal for £472 return with Delta Airlines, was just wondering what everbody's view is that have already flown with them.

1) Are they punctual and reliable?
2) Do you have plenty leg room and in flight entertainment?
3) What are their baggage allowances?
4) Are meals included and if so are they any good?

Thanks
My answers would be:
1 Yes
2 Adequate
3 50lbs times 2 per person last time I flew with them. Strict on the max 50lbs.
4 Meals (average) and drinks included.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.