EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
Hi Jackie,

Good luck with the move. I am afraid I cannot help you with the areas you are looking at, but thought I would hopefully offer some helpful advice to you.

Have you considered renting for the first year? It is a very good way of finding what you want because not only do you get to know the areas in this first year, you also get to understand a feel of the property market and the prices. I feel sure that by doing it this way you would save in the long run as you could always make an offer on any purchase which would cover at least any rent paid.

You say that you are not familiar with the areas you mention, so why would you buy in these regions without first doing your homework?

Hope you find success and happiness and good luck in your search.
Danzacurt

Thanks for your advice. We will be renting for a while until we find the right property in the right area for us.. I was just asking if anyone was familiar with these areas in the hope that someone might know i.e like a ghost town, OAP's only (not that there's anything wrong with OAP's :lol: ), too far from any amenitites etc. We will do our research of these areas when we get there but just thought it might be helpful to us having other peoples opinions of them before we looked. If people tell me that in a certain area I would have to travel 10 miles to the nearest shop etc then I would know that area is wrong for me as I don't drive. Just asking for a bit of advice. Forwarned is Forearmed as they say.

Regards Jackie
Hi Jackie. We visited Callao Salvaje about 14 years ago :shock: We booked it through teletext so we had no idea where we were going. At that time there really wasnt much there at all apart from some beautiful privately owned apartments (like the one we stayed in). I also remember Airtours used a hotel there (it might have been the only hotel - can't remember :oops:). I think it was fairly close to the motorway into Las Americas and it was about a 15/20 minute drive. I dont think the beach was very nice and there were just a few bars/restaurants near the beach. I am sure it has changed drastically in 14 years. Sorry can't be any more help. Gx
pargaluvva

Thank you. I did hear that the beach was not very good but that they were supposed to be doing a man made beach there. Wonder if it has been done yet!.

Rgds Jackie
Hi Jackie

My only experience of the areas you have listed ie Palm Mar, El Medano, Los Abrigos, Calleo Salvaje, etc. is as a visitor so cant offer much advice except to say make sure any area you are interested has been formally "adopted" by the local council who will then be responsible for maintaining thing like drains roads street lighting etc and providing bus services schools etc.

Many areas outside the large resorts are still classed as private developments and remain unadopted which can cause problems.
San Isidro
Typical Spanish town. 5 minutes drive east of the airport turn-off and one minute to the town. Good for shopping. Traffic queues quite bad in the old town. Lots of new development on the outskirts.

Aldea Blanca
Like San Isidro - but smaller and without the traffic problems. It's at the Las Chafiras turn-off where you would go down to Golf del Sur but take the road in the opposite direction. minutes drive from the motorway.

Los Abrigos
Take the same turning as above but head towards Golf del Sur without turning off towards it - keep on the main road straight town and you will come to it. Similar size to Aldea Blanca. Used to be poplular with tourists visiting to eat in the fish restaurants but it's fairly quiet nowadays. Again typically Spanish village - mostly apartments,

El Medano
Same exit as for San Isidro but head towards the coast - 5 minutes drive. Some tourism in hotels and apartments. Popular beaches for windsurfing etc - so it's always fairly windy. The 'old' part of town is typical Spanish-style apartments above shops type of thing, but there's a lot of new development on the outskirts.

Callao Salvaje
To the end of the motorway at Adeje and then a 5 minute drive. It is basically splti into 3 parts. As you go down to the sea there are hotels etc and shops and bars. To the southern part of the village there are new apartments, town-houses and nice villas. As you go down into the village there is Sueno Azul on the right where there are older apartments (some right on the coast with fantastic locations) and 20 year old bungalows which are quite nice (depending on the level of refurbishment) - but basicall all the same. The main disadvantage is that there are mostly 'walkways' between the properties, so depending on the location it may be a long walk from the car to your home.
Thanks Peter and Mike, your insight into these areas has been very helpful.

Rgds Jackie
Hello Jackie

We were recommended Parque Reina as a living area - plenty of ex Pat community amenities pools bars etc etc and the accomodation is very good - especially the newly built part. Close to motorway and about a 10 - 15 min drive to PdlA. !! :)
Hi David

I thought Parque de la Reina was mostly Spanish, or so I was told. We are looking for somewhere with a mix of nationalities. The place we were originally after was in a street of about 20 villas and in that lot there was only one Brit, the rest were Swedes, French, Spanish and a variety of other nationalities.

Regards
I thought Parque de la Reina was mostly Spanish

It is (mostly)... but there's also a fair few other nationalities there too (including Brits)

Some of the newer apartment buildings are reported to have 'damp' problems.

The new houses being built are very close together - for some reason ie if you were to stand on your bedroom balcony, you could actually shake hands with your neighbour.
Mike

That's what I had heard so didn't really consider it at an option. I definately don't want to be that close to my neighbours that I can shake hands with them from my balcony, my neighbours here are not that near and they are still too close :lol:

Regards Jackie
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.