Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Dogs in Goa
4 Posts
I love (most) dogs but they for me are one of the "negative" aspects of Goa, have also seen similar problems in other countries. I've seen very young puppies abandoned under a tree early in the day and gone past twelve hours later and the three of them had died! A very soul searching experience, what could I, what should I have done? I was told later that the puppies had belonged to a Hindu family of transient workers and they would not themselves kill the animals but leave them for nature to take its course,it did!
Yes there are too many stray dogs in Goa, in the tourist areas they are mostly there because of the tourists who rightly or wrongly (the latter for me)feed them scraps and adopt them for a couple of weeks, but then jump on a plane and are home leaving the animals to scavange again. The answer has to be neutering, but who will pay and organise this in Goa most locals have more pressing issues! Culling is a contraversial issue, not one I like to think about but we have and still do this in the UK. A European lady died from rabies recently after being bitten in Goa, sad as this event was it's the sort of tragedy that should have stimulated a response by the tourist authority but didnt. Rabies is a big issue in Goa and India in general, I am going out for over four months this season, the injection x3 cost approx £100, do I or don't I ?
So yes, something does need to be done, tourists need to be more responsible, and careful, dogs do go hungry and you just have to look at one and it thinks it's adopted, well, you have been!
My wife was attacked twice by two dogs near our apartment. They belonged to a family in a nearby house, although they were over 100 metres from the house when they attacked her. They then attacked me with one in front distracting me and the second sneaking in from behind. Both of us are fond of dogs and not really frightened of them, but these two were some of the most aggressive dogs I have ever come across. Fortunately I had a hiking stick with me which I bent over one dog's head, and chased them back to the owners house, where I explained to the family what had happened. They promised to tie the dogs up and not let them roam free. Guess what, two days later they attacked a female tourist who had a young child with her. Luckily the dogs both died within a week, but it remains to be seen if the familiy's new dogs will be as aggressive.

After this experience my wife and I decided to get rabies vacinations but were appalled at the price of just over £100 each. This is for three injections and will last for 5 years, after which we will need only a booster injection. However, better safe than sorry. Incidentally the same two dogs were responsible for killing a calf which had wandered off from its mother a few weeks before they attacked me.
I too am very much against the so called dog lover tourists that start feeding and take on a dog for their stay, then fly off home and abandon them to their fate. I do a lot of walking in Goa and these dogs are easily recognised, you dont have to clap them, eye contact is enough, and they will tag on behind you until you reach your destination, either a shack or your accomodation where they will invariabley be given their marching orders by the local owner It's very sad but you dont do the dog any favours acting in this selfish fashion, all thats left on your departure is one sad and confused dog Alan
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.