Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
dogs
23 Posts
Ah thats a shame don't let them spoil your holiday. There werent too many about when I was there November/December and they all seemed pretty friendly
Dogs are normally really friendly, although they love chasing things!! Which can be a problem if you're jogging. I would suggest (although I'm sure people will disagree) is to jog on the beach and just slow down when you get close to dogs, go over to the dogs and do a brief hello to them - and then continue... If you do that then they'll either follow you (nicely) which is not the best solution as when they get into another dogs territory the two sets of dogs will fight (but ignore you), or it will just not bark or run (as it knows you). Also as soon as you stop running so will the dogs. They're just trying to be hard - they're not really, face them and make them back down if you have any problems... I've never had a problem in Goa, and most of the dogs love a bit of attention. :) - Hope it helps
In front of the Sunset Hotel / Whispering Palms there is always a gathering from dusk to sunrise and always a big put off for many people. We like to go for a walk very early, either down to the beach or up and along the main road. Never had a problem (always the odd one ready to jump up and snarl), so just leave them and they seem to stop.
I have read that quite a few people take those joggers water bottles with them and a quick shake of it at them moves them away, others also take a stick with them if one does decide to chase.
Jogging on holiday... :tongue
Spike.
I also like to jog in the mornings, I usually take a bottle of water with me, if (not often) a dog comes running up to me I slow down and shake the bottle and they stay away. Most just look up at you when you go past, but hey I can't run too fast in that heat anyway. :rofl

Donna
XX
I can see how the dogs would scare people! One chased after my moped and tried to bite the tires. Another time I was running along the beach and as stated by a previous posted the dogs started to follow me! I was like the pidepiper for dogs! Unfortunately they strayed into other dogs territories and had a mass scrap!! Felt quite bad :que
The locals tend to bend down to pick a stone up and pretend to throw, they soon back off.
Sorry to go slightly off topic but we're possibly going to Goa next year and all the talk of lots of dogs is starting to worry me. I've never been scared of dogs (father used to breed spaniels) but found myself petrified in Santorini a few years back when a doberman took a special liking to me :duh It popped out from nowhere and started following me around wherever I went. It's a long story so I won't go into it except to say that I'm now wary of strange dogs.

What sort of dogs are about in Goa? Are they strays wondering the streets or are they in and around their own owners property? Also are they likely to be Dobermans, Rotweillers or Alsations or smallish mongrels. As I say, sorry I can't answer about the cats but hope I'll be forgiven for going :offtop just this once. Thanks

:whoops I've just noticed a 'dogs' thread. Would one of the mods please move it for me. Thanks
Hi Shirley,

The dogs in Goa really are a bit of mixture, some strays and others belonging to people, but still wandering around. It never ceases to amaze me how they lie at the side of the road fast asleep, I would have kittens if either of my spaniels got out! The best one I saw this last holiday was a dog curled up asleep at the roundabout at Calangute :yikes

We have never had a problem with the dogs, although I have heard that after dark you need to be more careful.

They tend to be mongrels rather than pedigree dogs, although you do get the odd few and a friend of ours does have rottweilers.

Hope that helps
friend of ours does have rottweilers

Thanks for replying. Can I ask you where in Goa your friend lives. Am I likely to run int these rotweillers.
No there's absolutely no way you will run into his dogs, they are kept in his compound.
Thanks Miccie. I'm getting paranoid :duh I know there can be no guarantees about dogs, don't know why I asked really :think
Shirley, I'm sure you will be fine :tup
Feelthevibe Post subject: Re: dogsPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:59 am

The locals tend to bend down to pick a stone up and pretend to throw, they soon back off.

i hate to say it but the locals dont just pretend to throw the stones,THEY DO THROW THEM
:yikes
I told security guard at MD off for throwing a stone at a dog. The poor thing really did nothing to deserve such treatment.
I thought us Brits were notorious dog lovers!! obviously our reputation is unwarranted.
Spare a thought for these animals, shunned by people, physically abused, victims of road accidents and left to die. OK, they may appear well nourished in the tourist season, but then what? who will pay for medical attention for them when they are ill? No-one. It is enough for the locals to feed and clothe their families, so they wouldn't spend money on a dog.
The best that can happen is that they are picked up by the animal welfare centre and speyed/neutered, thus preventing more puppies being abandoned, so please phone this centre in Goa if you see a dog ill, injured or in distress.
If one follows you, it has probably been dumped and left to fend for itself, having been accustomed to human companionship.
I don't advocate that anyone puts themselves at risk of rabies, which some of them have. But imagine the pain and suffering they endure if they have it!
The rescue centre is crying out for resources ( see the 'wish list' on their website). http://www.iar.org.uk/india/goa
well said moles kent totally agree with what u say,
mind you at this moment curled up on the sofa is our very own goan puppy dog its hard to beleive its been nearlly four years since we rescued her and brought her back to the uk
xx
I went for a jog most days at 5.30pm along the waters edge. The sun set about 6pm and the beach was quiter, Watching the sun set while jogging was brill. Yes there were a few dogs but not once did they bother me. I went in both directions from Holiday St. If your really frightened take a few small snacks and throw them to the dogs as you jog. They will soon realise you mean them no harm and are their friend.
take a few small snacks and throw them to the dogs as you jog.

:rofl at the image of me jogging on hols. Nooo thanks. Hubby will probably go for a jog at some point but dogs don't bother him. I'm just worried by the thought of them following me as I'm walking down the road :duh
Shirley H, I'm sure that is unlikely to happen. We have been going to Goa and Kerala for about 12 years now and I have never been followed by a dog. Again, if it is a lone dog, who is not part of a pack, it has probably been dumped at the beach and the pack dogs will not give it any peace or allow it to stray into their 'territory'. It is looking for human affection. It will not survive long.

Cartman- I can imagine how you became attatched to your puppy. It landed on it's little paws when it met you!! To go through the red tape, quarantine etc, you deserve a medal.

My son and his wife and two friends went to Goa yesterday for 3 weeks, loaded with stuff for the animal welfare centre and I will be taking some more with me in March.
We can all choose where to contribute, and I would only give money to disabled beggars, and certainly not to the groups of children who dance/girate on the beach in front of tourists. I've seen how much they earn every day for this undignified begging, and this encourages them - and the adults/pimps that send them.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.