Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Dogs
16 Posts
I use the pretend to bend down and pick a stone up trick, it works for the locals and it has saved me once or twice .
Got back on Monday from Candolim there were plenty of dogs around in the streets and down on the beech but we never had any problems with them, more problems with scooters avoiding cows.
Got to agree,we have never had a problem with the local dogs.We have brought our dog with us from the uk and she does not have any problems what so ever with them.The only problem that may occur is locals who keep the dogs tethered and which escape.

john
Hi everybody, Im going to Goa for the first time in January but am concerned about the dogs, dont like dogs like most people dont like spiders and snakes, really really dont like them so will I be ok there??? Havent booked yet but am looking at the Alor Grand, does anyone know if its any good? :oops:
we ignore them they ignore us,i like dogs,but i dont get friendly with them because i have to leave.i have never found them a problem,only when your in wrong hotel and they start barking about 1am,they seem to come to life then.
Thanks, am wary but definitely going. Hotel recommendations will be much appreciated :roll:
hi,the last thing to worry about is the dogs, like the the cows they are part of goa.they may follow you sometimes but they just want food or more important some T L C.silla goa ,cmc,senor angelo,are all good hotels,i will be in goa my self in 2 weeks.
Thanks, am determined to be booked before the weekend is over, got my visa and skin so soft fresh (mozzies love me) so all I need is a hotel. Silla Goa looks favourite so hope they have room for us
Have been told,when you come across foot ball pitch in baga at night.there is a pack of dogs waiting for you,i am staying in riverside.so will be coming that way every night,also they bark allnight,has anyone who has just come back had this problem. cheers John
i got chased by a gang of dogs on calangute beach april just gone. I really did think they were going to bite us. scary :(
Dogs are still a major nusisance. They're not so bad on their own, but when there's a pack of them they can be very agressive. Poultonkid - i would carry a stick walking across the fields between Riverside and Baga at night.

And for anyone who thinks they're just cute and cuddly, you should try the monsoon when they hunt in packs, and turn some areas into virtual no-go zones, by day as well as at night.

They're also a major contributor to noise pollution.

All in all Goa would be a better place if there were less of them, though i don't want to open the can of worms that is the answer to how to achieve this!.
I agree phill ,i am a animal lover,but when they are allowed to get to the stage,when they go around in packs,cruelty is going to happen,the animal charitys do a very good job without them it would be a lot worse,I dont know the answer.A lot of people say they do no harm,but one day they will,rabies is spreding in india,im afraid that one injection to far for me.
I am a dog lover and have made friends with many goan dogs.

I have noticed recently that nearly all now have been neutered. You can tell this as they have a little v shape cut in the ear.

This will make them less aggressive and reduce numbers in the future.

However the food chain is alive and well in India and I wonder what impact less dogs would have on the rat population?
I have been going to goa for ten year now,i have seen dogs get run over on a daily basis dogs getting into fights over food and get badly injured and proberly die a painful death,A dog followed me home one night down south ,i could not give it any food as it was so late,i had none,i gave it some water and said goodnight,next day i went out and found it dead in hedges.You are right neutering on a big scale is the answer,but i think goa goverment should do a lot more,after all tourisum keeps goa alive,some of the dogs are well looked after but most i see are limping or skin diseses ,you just have to cut youself of from it, but it still makes me sad,
The dogs up north can be a problem however they don't compare with the ones at Paolem. We had one night here and although I have kept a
dog for most of my life these muts were really agresive consistantly fighting amongst themselves at times there seemed to be more dogs than people particularly at one end of the beach. We called it a day after one night more than anything because of the number of dogs on the beach.
Stewart
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.