Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Dogs
41 Posts
:( That's one of the main things that's put me off going to Goa. Having done some research, I've realised that no way would I be able to relax there as I'm very wary of stray dogs, let alone ones that might have rabies.
I've sent you a PM Shirley :tup

Just wanted to put this new thread as a reminder as I know I have become somewhat complacent about getting friendly with dogs (and cats) in Goa and I probably have more reason than most to use some common sense:-

In 2000 (i think it was) a friend of ours got bitten by a beach dog who was shading itself under his table at a shack. He thought "must remember the dog is there when I stand up - don't want to tread on it" - guess what? He forgot and yes he trod on the dog which then bit him. He had to undergo the rabies injections in Goa. This is how we met this particular friend and his wife, they returned to the "Silent Retreat" (now Neelams) and his wife was in pieces. We all rallied around them to support them and thankfully the story ended happily and we have been friends ever since.

I also got bitten, this time it was at a Goan friends house. The dog just jumped at me and snapped at my leg - hardly broke the skin, just a bruise and a tooth mark. I sterilised the area as soon as I returned to our hotel and thought no more about it :duh When I returned to the UK I thought I'd better speak to my GP just to be on the safe side and all hell broke loose. GP was on the phone quick smart to some rabies expert and the relevant stuff was located so that I could start the injections. The first one (was on my birthday of all days) and OMG it hurt, the next 2 weren't so bad. I became a bit of a celebrity among the nursing staff at the surgery as they'd never had anyone come in for rabies injections EVER before - thankfully I also lived to tell the tale.

I expect that another cull will occur if there are more cases reported in the papers.

Just to say, don't be put off trying Goa, there aren't nearly as many stray dogs as there used to be - if you aren't a doggy person (and even if you are) just be aware and give them a wide berth if you have any doubts as to a dogs health.

Fizz
Ooh fizz,that sounds terrible,i`m not a dog lover and give them a wide birth wherever i am,however i din`t find them a problem at all in goa and this was one of my concerns before we first went there
I just read on the Goa newspaper http://www.goacom.com that they are opening up a dogs home in Margao for the 8000 stray dogs.
I am another one who strokes the stray dogs and puff that dog flea powder on them.Poor things its not their fault they are in that state.
my OH had a similar experience as your friend in January .A dog nipped him in a bar for no reason.
he has had 5 rabies shots in the arm over a period of one month as advised by rabies experts in the uk . We were told that rabies can lie dorment for up to ten years after being bitten, then you can become unwell and it cause death within hours.
I wont be befriending any animals there , they are mostly lovely natured but its just not worth risking it.
Saw a pack of about 6 'strays' attack a calf on Baga beach, once - he hoofed 'em.

I carry a big stick when I go for a run on the beach 'cos I don't fancy being chomped - I make no apologies to dog 'lovers' !!
When we go to Mobor Beach at Christmas, there is a woman who insists on feeding the dogs, and putting water down for them.

"They remember me, I'm their mummy" she says.

Personally I think it's the bacon she sneaks from breakfast in a pringles tube every day that they remember.

The thing is, when she leaves, do the dogs remember the beds, and then pester the unfortunate who sits there the following week?
Don`t wish to scare anyone but I met a fella at the Renton Manor in 2006 whos wife died the previous year after being bitten in Goa, during the day they are usually very docile but never walk on the beaches away from shacks early in the morning or after dark as the pack mentality comes out.

Here`s the story http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/3321421/Rabies-kills-Goa-holiday-woman.html :(
I would agree that early morning is the worst time, even worse if you happen to be jogging, they seem much more territorial at that time. Another time to be carefull is when you go to move your sunbed, they have a habit of sneakung under the bed unnoticed, and can be a bit cross, when disturbed by a heavy bed wakening them up !
Alan
Someone in our hotel at Xmas was bitten whilst walking through the village next to the hotel. He had walked past the same dog on numerous occasions but for some reason that morning it decided to go for him. He had to undergo all the rabies injections as well. The hotel were very good though in taking care of him. It did stop us from walking that way again though.
Over the last few months I have taken 8 dogs in to International Animal Rescue to be neutered and to have anti-rabies injections. According to John who runs it, there are no dogs with rabies in North Goa.
I will e-mail him and ask if this information has changed and let you know what his reply is.
Met friends at "their" shack yesterday and there was a dog there retching and trembling so much that we decided we could not stand it any more and went home. As we were walking down the beach we saw another dog in the same condition which was almost dead on the shore line then believe it or not another hundred yards further there was a dead dog on the beach. No idea why - not into dogs.
Our friends thinks there may be an illness in Goa - not rabies - which is affecting dogs.
We have stopped walking on the beach at daybreak which used to be a favourite time due to hassles we had from the shack dogs and decided to take to the roads - which is almost as bad. Every house we walk past has a dog that wants to come out and attack us.
Hopefully the pavement from the temple on the Candolim/Calangute border will be finished soon so we can walk on there as far as Luwanda supermarket and back as many times as we want - can't walk on the beach when it is like trying to walk Mount Everest down to Baga.
Squigs - are you in Goa now - do you think there is anything that can be done about the dog in the following story?
There is a blasted dog that is in the supermarket just before Snips hairdressers that is the bane of our lives.
It is a gray mangy looking thing that goes after anyone who happens to walk past the shop when it is there. We have been in the shop and asked the woman to control it but we just get the shoulder shrug.
We will now not walk past there and friends who live just past the shop take a taxi to their home so they don't have to come across it.
We have asked and asked them to do something about it but it is falling on deaf ears - it has bitten one friend and drawn blood and snapped at me but did not break my skin but was very frightening.
Waterproof, it sounds like these dogs could have been poisoned - poor things. Can you let the animal sanctuary know what you have witnessed they may be able to help these dogs.
I am a dog lover, I run an animal rescue charity here in the UK, the dogs on the beach during the day are in the majority friendly, many of them are associated with 'their shack' and cause no problem to visitors, if you dont like dogs just ignore them, they will soon move on and scrounge from someone else. They do lie under the sunbeds so it is as well to check before you move your bed. You don't get many 'strays' venturing onto the territory of an existing shack dog - they police their area very well and soon see of unwanted intruders.
My first year in Goa back in the early 90's I was surrounded by a pack of strays on the beach at night - I was blooming terrified!!!! however just carried on walking and they eventually wandered off. Goa isnt full of slavering beasts ready to attack you, its actually been great to see attitudes change over the years - many homes have a family dog/cat - loved and cared for as we do at home.Just use your common sense. don't feed them unless you want to be surrounded by them, a needy dog will follow you home if you so much as say a kind word to it. Just ignore them, if you are a dog lover spend a couple of days helping out at the animal sanctuary, that is far better than throwing a few scraps to a 'beach' dog who will then see every tourist as a source of food, he may get kicked and shouted out by the next person occupying your sunbed when you have gone home.
A run in the morning, with the sun rising to its zenith is a pleasure I'll not give up!!

Dogs are wild creatures - the so-called 'dog lovers' don't really know what the animal is going to do ...from one moment to the next!!

I'll continue to go running ('cos I likes it) - with my Big stick, of course :tup
If anyone needs any advice on the condition of a particular animal in Goa that seems ill, these are the details of the animal centre that squigs referred to, near Mapusa (0832) 2268328 or 2268272

http://www.internationalanimalrescue.org/india/goa.shtml
I'm a dog lover and find it difficult to ignore them but that's what I nearly aways force myself to do. Some are unpredictable but Roxey has it dead right - most are shack based and very territorial and they defend their territory against incomers. I did notice that many people walking on the roads early mornings/late evenings were holding sticks. I think the trick is to ignore them and walk purposefully - more easily done if you're "at home" with dogs rather than naturally wary of them.

My son also met the husband of the poor lady who died a few years ago. It just makes you realise that the threat is real.
The dogs are a complete menace.What is needed is a mass cull.

Papa
Personally I find the cows more of a nuisance, I feel more threatened by them than by any dog I have ever met in Goa. Perhaps they should all be got rid of too :que
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.