Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Re: Dogs
41 Posts
I agree Fizz, the animal rescue centre have done a fantastic job. I was really impressed by their facilities.
Honestly, to anyone worried, the dogs aren't a problem, just enjoy your holiday and don't worry :sun2
roxey wrote:
..Honestly, to anyone worried, the dogs aren't a problem..

Hmmm, I don't think people's ACTUAL experiences should be dismissed - they were there. ;)
Yes, you are right tookatuktuk that is why I mentioned what happened to me and my friends - we are lucky that the dogs that bit us didn't have rabies or I wouldn't be sat here writing this now!! :yikes Another lady as mentioned earlier wasn't as lucky :cry this is why I started the thread as I'd read there had been 2 more fatalities recently in Goa. I don't want to scaremonger, this is just about awareness and I know that even though I had a close encounter I still let my love of animals over ride my common sense - I am a stupid woman for doing so. I really don't think anyone is being dismissive at all, we all know the potential consequences of our actions and also recognise that we shouldn't allow our hearts to rule our heads :) Some of us try - but some of us also fail dismally, to be human, is to err unfortunately.
Fizz
Ok, Fizzzzzz....this is my take.

When someone says "don't worry" about an obvious (in yer face) problem - its worrying. :(
If I were to do somersaults in the middle of the high street, not worrying about the traffic - that would be silly :tdown . If I do the same somersaults but being AWARE of the dangers, then that's a different matter. I know the dangers - but I take the risk and I know....
fizzy2 wrote:
the potential consequences..

;)
Well this topic was started by me to raise awareness and to wake some of us up - (including myself) who may have become somewhat complacent at times. It isn't to scare the pants of visitors.

There are definitely fewer dogs out there than there used to be but it is always wise to give them a wide berth where possible.
Animals that are sick or injured should be reported to the Animal Rescue Centre who will deal with them - not wise to intervene yourself ........ you may get bitten.
Be aware that dogs will shade themselves under your sunbed or your table - just remember they are there - they will leave you alone as long as you don't tread on them!
A dog wearing a brown leather collar and/or has a nick out of it's ear (sometimes they lose their collars)indicates the animal has been seen by vets at the Animal Rescue Centre.
If a dog follows you down the street just ignore it and keep walking, don't inadvertently antagonise it in any way, it usually reaches the edge of its territory and turns around again, finds someone else to follow or becomes distracted by other dogs.
Try not to show fear to a dog, they pick up on it and may feel threatened by you.

If anyone else has more advice then please share, I am not an animal expert - just trying to remind myself of what I should do (and don't always do) when I'm in Goa :tup Fizz
Sorry it was a trite thing to say, what I should have said is that they aren't generally a problem. of course I don't want to make light of what has happened to these poor people and folks should be aware that there is rabies in Goa, the point I was trying to get across (badly) is don't let the odd dog wandering about terrify you and ruin your holiday. In the main they will ignore you if you ignore them. Lots of the shacks and restaurants have 'resident' dogs, they are scroungers if you take no notice of them they will move on to the next table, if you are really frightened by them then get a waiter to move the dog away. Don't be tempted to start waving your arms about, kicking out etc. just stay calm.
I would be very sad if there was a mass cull of the Goan dogs, I hope that will never happen. Many of the street dogs are neutered now, they usually have a little 'v' nick in their ear. Numbers have reduced considerably and will continue to do so.
over the last few years there has been a large drop in numbers of stray dogs due to the great work the animal rescue do and the horrid kulls that go on by the local poilce in the monsoon season.
as a dog lover myself its hard not to get involved with the dogs but i must say that if your scared of dogs they can seem a threat so its best to try to stay well clear of them,and as others have said there is the real threat of rabies.
but i really want to say as i type this i have my own goan beach dog curled up on the sofa next to me,and im thankfull that she wasnt one of the unfortunate strays that died,and im thankful to the animal rescue for all the help they gave us in helping us get her to the uk
xx
and the horrid kulls that go on by the local poilce in the monsoon season

Oh dear.Hope thats not what ends up in my lamb curry. :yikes :yikes

Papa
Ah how lovely Cartman, would love to see a photo of her :)
Yes, that is nice to hear Cartman, can't even imagine the difficulties involved in bringing a dog home from Goa so well done to you. :tup Great to know that at least one dog has been spared an untimely, horrible end and is now getting all the love and pampering it deserves. As Roxey said, it would be lovely to see a picture of her.
Fizz
i will try and put a picture of her on here,shes worth all the time and and energy to took to get her home,shes been in the uk now for nearly 5 years and we wouldnt be with out her,she is very spoilt,ive turned into one of those crazy people who treat their dogs like babies :tongue
Hello - Does the Animal Rescue Centre take cats and does it have a website and/or contact numbers. Just back from Betalbatim and can't stop worrying about the starving orphan kitten I left behind. Thanks.
jeff46 wrote:
Hello - Does the Animal Rescue Centre take cats and does it have a website and/or contact numbers. Just back from Betalbatim and can't stop worrying about the starving orphan kitten I left behind. Thanks.

The one at Assagao does, or certainly did, but the big problem is that most Goan households do not see cats as pets in the way we do. They are right at the bottom of the food chain. Their sole purpose is to catch small vermin (full grown rats, bandicoots and snakes are out of their league and more the responsibility of dogs and traps/poison)

Whilst your agonising is understandable, and commendable, this feral kitten is a victim of it's environment. This situation exists throughout the Med as well, but had you wandered through Mapusa market 15 years ago, dying/dead kittens were everywhere. This is the price we pay for choosing an un-caring society to holiday in.......
Ok thanks - but I don't give up easily. Will keep looking/trying.
jeff46 wrote:

Wasn't suggesting you should give up, I too have kept on thinking about this kitten all day.

If it is permitted by the moderators, can I suggest..........
1) Join the IndiaMike forum, and go to the general Goa section.
2) Find the thread about a dolphinarium in Goa (God forbid!)
3)Post seeking the help of a member posting on there called "birds". She is an amazing animal activist living there, and if anyone can help your kitten, she can, or will know someone.

Best of luck Jeff, you are a good person
Thanks very much - will try that.
Jeff
I carry a big stick when I go for a run on the beach 'cos I don't fancy being chomped - I make no apologies to dog 'lovers' !!

I agree and that's the best practical solution. Even my daughter has a phobia of dogs and when we are in Goa I have to protect her.We generally do not jog on beaches in morning/evening and walk just on the edge of main road and not on footpath.This helps us from dogs though there are very few happenings of dog bites in Goa to be honest-nothing to fear about.
My friend who is a dog trainer tells me that never try to see in dog's eye because you are stranger to it.Just stay firm when it barks at you or run towards you.Problem with steet dogs are when one starts barking at you,soon the big company of dogs join with that dog!
We were in Candolim in February. Came out of the Bending Bamboo at about 3am one night and had to walk back to our hotel just passed Kingfisher Villa. Being slightly worse for wear I befriended a dog. The dog then happily followed us along collecting other dogs until finally there must have been about twenty of them. They were barking at anybody who came near us and seemed to be protecting us. We finally got to the hotel and the security guard chased them. Seemed quite funny at the time but looking back could have turned quite nasty. :think
botany bay wrote:
jeff46 wrote:

Wasn't suggesting you should give up, I too have kept on thinking about this kitten all day.

If it is permitted by the moderators, can I suggest..........
1) Join the IndiaMike forum, and go to the general Goa section.
2) Find the thread about a dolphinarium in Goa (God forbid!)
3)Post seeking the help of a member posting on there called "birds". She is an amazing animal activist living there, and if anyone can help your kitten, she can, or will know someone.

Best of luck Jeff, you are a good person

Thanks for your help. The GAWT were going to pick her up tomorrow morning but she has already
been adopted by a german lady living in Colva!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.