Spain - Canary Islands - Tenerife Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tenerife.
Anybody who drives under the influence of alcohol or drugs on unfamiliar roads driving on the opposite carriageway from home deserves a lengthy prison sentence and also should qualify for psychiatic help when they are released. I am a very experienced driver excess of 50,000 miles per year and I don't fancy driving abroad whilst sober so I am pleased to hear that punishments are being made more severe
Why not adopt the same type of rules in this country? Probably the courts couldn't cope with the influx of cases :)
Couldnt agree more
I live here and admittedly driving on the other side of the road does take a week or so to get used to. However its not an impossible task and I really don't think people should be frightened to do so.

Whilst I agree that drink driving is a no no, I would say that driving education and safety in general over here is pathetic. Most of the Spanish drivers use their indicators as a warning to other drivers that they are stopping rather than their intended use (turning left / right etc.)

An example of this incorrect use is found at zebra crossings... A car that slows up to let pedestrians cross will put his off side indicator on as a warning to cars behind that he is stopping. This is taken as read by us 'in the know' but to all the tourists in their hire cars it looks like they are about to turn left. Many of whom simply drive around the right of the stationary car 'waiting to turn left' and nearly kill the pedestrians on the crossing in the process!

Furthermore, this unauthorised practice goes even further... many cars that stop on the carriageway to reverse park with use the above warning! I.E. they put their OFFSIDE indicator on rather than their NEARSIDE one!

I have seen at least three bumps happen over indicator confusion within the last month. Gringos simply do not know this 'unwritten' indicator fad/game that the locals play and the result can be disaster.

I think the police could save far more grief by stamping out this trendy Canarian indicator mis-use club!
The zebra crossing situation in PDLA is crazy - they are every 50 yards if you stopped at all of them you would never reach 2nd gear. As one of my good mates on the island Didi (compere in Full Monty at the time)said several years ago the only reason zebra crossings are there are so the ambulances can see the knocked down pedeastrians at night
Yo Paul hows ypur head after sunday
Not as sore as my wallet. Only lager gives me headahces. Stopped the lager about 3pm. Vodka and Tia Maria all the way till we dropped at 11pm in the Newsham. :D
Meanwhile back on topic....
(where are the Mods when you need one?!)

Further to my previous post. Tenerife has now got a British driving school, opening in Parq Royal office complex, Torviscas next door to my office. This school will teach you in english and book a test with the islands new (and only) English driving test examiner!

So come to the synny isle, learn to drive like a Columbian gringo then fly home and exchange your 'micky mouse' licence for a bona-fide UK one...Sorted!
Where are the MODS now? What a load of tosh!!!! Who comes on holiday and wants to take a driving test???
I think that this school is aimed at english speaking ex-pats Paul, not tourists :wink:
hi its a essage for chukkas hubby f you get a minute to reply!!! Could you please tell me more about the driving school in torviscas atall or an address or number i would be totally grateful! I lived in tenerife for a few years in 1995-1998 and am thinking of coming back over there. I will be a fully qualified driving instructor in a month or so and am hoping i could get back to tenerife with this!
many thanks in anticipation........
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.