Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
I agree Dangerman
We have just returned from a Cruise with I/Cruises and it was completely sold out, so the chances of a family cabin which are few and far between being available is very slim!

We have just had the last family holiday as they are all grown up now, so we are debating the last min deal or the pre-book now as we are wanting to go away in September for the first time ever due to school hols and are a bit undecided as would hate to be on the lowest deck.

Any advise out there?

Liz.
Undoubtedly your strategy with families is the only sensible approach. When the family are "gone", in my experience at least, it is much better to do late deals provided you are happy to accept cabin anywhere on ship. Having said that we have only once been on second lowest deck and third cabin from most forward, and it just wasn't an issue for us even in rougher seas......but others may think differently.

Earlier today on the discussion headed "deals" (or similar) I recommended a very good deal to Liz on NCL Gem for September 2008 with vacationstogo.com so it is possible, even with families, to book ahead at sensible prices.

Happy cruising to all of you!!
OK I will reply on the other thread later but the trick once the family is gone is to be flexable, VERY flexable dates,ship length of cruise, I have to work and still with the OH having to book her holiday windows a year ahead we usually manage 3 deals a year, TA are good if you like ship time, repos are good and those that start end in different ports seem to have good prices if you look around. DIY can make the deals even better.

For the family cabin during peak time book ahead or risk missing out. or pick the unpopular cruises, we did 2 peak season round UK 10n for £550pp,and £580pp so a 4berth would have been great value.

If you can, have an Easter holiday window where you can cruise if the late deal comes up, depending on the age of the kids it may mean two cabins are cheaper than a 4 berth and you get 2 bathrooms, miss the easter break still time for a summer booking. Risk with the late 2 cabin booking is getting two together.
Agree entirely, if we want a 10/12 nighter we normally book 3 week holiday window, and watch & explore deals from 3 months out. Great value to be had, as W'J points out.
Yes, we are tied to School hols but always book late and yes, we also look apporx 3 months before hand.
Dangerman- if you book a cruise with Royal CAribbean or Princess lines and the price goes down they will give you a refund. You have to monitor the prices yourself,they're not going to bring it to your attention. I have had several price drops,before and after final payment so it pays to watch. Meanwhile if it doesn't, well you have the room you wanted.
Thanks for the tip. I've actually booked with Thomsons for next year. I wonder if they do the same? It won't hurt to ask!
Don't waste your time asking Thomson's. They offer a "package" cruise and prices are what you agree....they do not operate like the premium lines.
I am very (pleasantly) surprised to hear that you have had a price drop after final payment. How does that work? Is it a credit card refund or a credit voucher?

I hope that Carnival and Vacations to Go (US) operates the same system!
You just call and tell them where you saw the reduced price and they credit the difference back to your credit card without any problem. In my case I saw the price drop online on the cruiseline's site and called pronto. Prices fluctuate a lot specially after the US 70 day cancellation window,so it pays to check. Haven't used VTG,sorry don't know but they should if the cruiseline is one that does. Check your booking conditions.
Wow! I knew about the price drops but i had no idea that they applied it even after the payment! Having been badly burned by a 50% price drop with a UK agent last year i think my future bookings will all be in the US - exchange rates permitting.
After final can get tough, NCL are currenly trying all new prices as "newbookings only" but are getting a backlash.
Craig- make sure what the cancellation policy is if booking online US agent- some of them have their own policy which can penalise you -whereas the cruiselines all allow for cancellation without penalty up to 70 days prior to 7 day cruise and 60 days for shorter cruises. You can check a few agencies by going to http://www.cruisecompete.com - they will email you back with offers from severalwith no obligation or pressure, and they usually all spell out in detail what their policy is re price adjustments and cancels.
I got two price drops on my recent Freedom of the Seas cruise,one was before and one after final payment. I actually called another time too but couldn't get that one as it had a disclaimer * New reservations only.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.