Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Thanks

Pippy for the Help.

Regards

Tony.
Can anyone please tell me which electrical adaptor I need to purchase prior to my first trip to Egypt? Also, can you buy things like camcorders there?
We will be staying in the Falcon Hills hotel and I'm REALLY excited!
Do they supply irons and hairdryers in the rooms? Also tea/coffe making facilities?
Sorry for so many questions....I'm new to Egypt!
Thanks
Hi :D

I can answer one of your questions :D

Electricity info here....

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=21241

Philippa :D
All you need is the usual type of adaptor which you would use in Europe.
Hi
You won't get a kettle, but you can probably get room service to bring you a cuppa! Irtt won't be expensive.

Take your own hairdryer - the hotel on's are unreliable and cut out quickly!
Thanks for all the help re the adaptor plug, kettle and hairdryer.
Do people tend to dress up to go out in the evenings or is it just casual stuff over there? Also, does it get chilly in the evenings in May?
Hi guys,
I love this site. I've done so much research and reading on here I feel as though I have already been to egypt and I wanna go back!
We are off on May 5th, not that I'm counting! I have printed off reams of advice to take re eating etc, I doubt I will have time to read a book or do anything else for that matter!!
Just a few more questions
1)Do you dress up for evenings out in Sharm?
2) Is it chilly in the evenings in May?
3) What is the normal tip given for services

Thanks for your help
Can you use the same adapters as we have for Europe, or do we need another kind? :sun
This may be of interest to fellow travellers to Egypt with regards electrical items. If you purchase one of the 'Universal' type adaptors as seen in the duty free area of most airports you will be OK. If you are charging batteries for Cameras, Video recorders etc. PLEASE NOTE THIS: a lot of outlet sockets in hotel rooms are linked to the room being occupied, simply put when you switch off the lights, the sockets go dead. Therefore you think that your camcorder / camera is on charge when you go to bed because your charger light is blinking, as soon as you switch off the room lights, bingo! your charger goes off. My tip is to plug your charger into the power socket that serves the television as this usually stays on all the time. You may also find that your re-chargeable batteries seem to drain faster in Egypt. I think that this may be due to the variations in the (nominally 220 volt) supply to certain types of chargers.
Tez
We take off the 'electric key' off of the room key ring and leave it in place in the room so the the electric is on all the time. We learnt the hard way when charging our mobiles - or not!!
All you need is a continental plus that you would use in europe, two pin. Mosquitto type liquid repellent plugs dont work as they have to go in sideways so obviously the liquid will come out.

Key card operated electricity - just fold a piece of card, you can get this from a menu or whatever, and jam into the space and it works when you are out. Handy for air con.
This is the sort of thing you want here

All the times we've stayed in Egypt, UK plugs then go in them the normal way (cord facing down) as shown by the one in the packet.
What type of electrical plug adapters are used in Sharm, also what voltage is out there?
Thanks
Steve
Hi StevePN, Have a look at Everest's post above, the picture shows exactly what you need to buy. Available at all good duty free outlets. The voltage is a rather iffy 230 V. see my previous posts
Tez
Hi,

Sorry to start a new topic but I have tried searching for the info and I cannot find it.

I am off to Sharm on Thurs and am unsure what adapter I need, is it the same as Europe?

Hopefully someone can advise.
Yes, its the same 2-pin that you need in Europe. Also its 230V so no problems there either.
We bought an adapter from boots, be wary, reason being out of all the sockets in our hotel room, it would only work in one of them :roll: The boots adapters have two pins that scrunch together, you have to jiggle them to make them work.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.