General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Plug adaptor
10 Posts
You can buy two to three pin adaptors in the little pound shops, I nearly picked one up by accident last week. And it was only £1.

Talking of plug adaptors, I have an electric toothbrush that I want to take on holiday to Ibiza with me. Do I need to take a separate plug adaptor with me? It has a two pin that has to plug into a shaver adaptor. Will I need anything special or will it just plug straight into the sockets over there?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sarah :)
I am just back from the states and I bought an electrical item that has a US plug,

Unless you are sure that this is a dual voltage appliance then you need to make sure that you buy an adaptor that also contains a transformer that will 'step down' the voltage from our 220V supply to 110V as per the standard American supply. If you don't there's a good chance that you'll burn out the circuits in whatever you've bought.

SM
Going one step further than SMa's good advice - is this a low voltage item with a 110v transformer in the power supply lead like a laptop or game device? If it is you need to get a whole new lead with 220v transformer and plug built in.

Maplin's is a name that springs to mind http://www.maplin.co.uk although once you know what to ask for ebay or your local computer bits shop might be cheaper.
Its actually an electrical oil burner (for fragrance oils)...?
Its actually an electrical oil burner (for fragrance oils)...?

Even more reason to check whether it's dual voltage or not and if it isn't, to make sure that you don't use it without a transformer. If you just plug it in here without making sure, even if it doesn't blow up, the likelihood is that it will overheat and you then run the risk of heating the oil to such a temperature that it will, at best smoke heavily, at worst actually set the oil on fire. I would be reluctant to use any US appliance that contains a heating element in it over here because there is such a high risk of any heating element designed to be run on 110V either burning out or overheating and going on fire when it's plugged into a 220V supply.

Sorry to be such a dampner but your really can't be too careful. The thief who stole a US IBM electric typewriter from my office but didn't realise they needed to steal the transformer too was easily caught because not only did they blow the tyoewriter up but when it went it blew the safety trips right back to the electricity sub-station and plunged the whole neighbourhood into darkness!

SM
srhjnmgn wrote:
You can buy two to three pin adaptors in the little pound shops, I nearly picked one up by accident last week. And it was only £1.

Talking of plug adaptors, I have an electric toothbrush that I want to take on holiday to Ibiza with me. Do I need to take a separate plug adaptor with me? It has a two pin that has to plug into a shaver adaptor. Will I need anything special or will it just plug straight into the sockets over there?

Any help would be appreciated.

It will just plug into the socket in the bathroom, the one that's usually for shavers. We always use them for toothbrush and have never had any problems.
European sockets although 2x round pin they are slightly wider apart, fine if they have an international shaver socket, buy if you need to use the hair dryer socket then an adaptor is recommended

wizard
Thanks guys. I have seen the 2 pin shaver sockets when we've holidayed before but have never had the need to use it. I might take a couple of ordinary toothbrushes - just in case.

Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.