Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Definitely EUROS, not sterling, It is best to change in the UK as out here you may find that some exchange rates are a little high!
Not sure what SaraP means by some exchange rates being a little high!In general, any island I have ever been to has had an exchange rate around 2-3 cents above what you get in the UK.
Changed sterling to Euros before going to Zante in May and got €1.40. Rate in Kalamaki was €1.42-€1.43. Take sterling travellers cheques or by all means take Euros--Dont take Euro travellers cheques.

Andy.
I have to agree with Smee - don't take EURO travellers cheques - because of the commission charges or lack of them you will find you can only cash these at the Banks. Hotels will not exchange them - but it's their own currency people cried at us when we got back - after our last holiday - yes it might be their own currency but they don't make any commission on them and some hotels, bureau exchange will NOT accept them and much prefer Sterling Travellers Cheques cos at least they get their commission!

Chinks
Thanks
I think i'll take euros with me.
Cheers
rugbynut
Have you thought about using your ATM card to withdraw cash?
If your bank won't charge you it might be just as easy to do that.
When I used an ATM in Rhodes with a barclaycard I got charged some ridiculous amount, I think it was 5 pounds per withdrawal.

I suppose it could make sense if you withdraw the whole amount that you will need!
that will be because you used your barclaycard, any credit card will make a charge for withdrawing cash... even if you do it here in the UK. I am with barclays and i used my delta card (debit card) whilst in Kos last year and i had no charges to deal with and they gave me a good exchange rate. If you are travelling to greece i would always recommend taking a small amount of euro's with you and then take your bank card, its the best way!
as i am in the tourism i recomment the following.
take a good look at the rates now that you are back home. check for lots of days if in general it goes up or down for the sterling. Since june sterling is going down in comparison to Euro. so keep an eye so as you get the best possible for you.
in case you get lost or no time to watch out the rates, you can always have your money half in Euro and half in sterling. that way its a 50% chance you will be on a possitive site.
my opinion at the moment for the next few days is that it sterling will continue going down. in long term it always go up.
Sorry for sounding a bit thick but I always understood that I had yto take a visa, mastercard or barclycard.

I am with the TSB so can I use my everyday speed bank card like I would use it in England at ATM's.

It would be alot easier.

Regards

Sarah

PS going to Rhodes on Saturay and looking forward to it
Sarah, if you mean a Lloyds TSB debit card/cash card, then the following taken from a Lloyds TSB leaflet might be of interest.

Transactions abroad
Whenever you use your debit card abroad, we convert the amount to sterling using our exchange rate on the date we take the money from your account. We will also include a 2.75% foreign exchange administration fee for every overseas transaction.

When withdrawing cash abroad, either at a bank or an ATM , we will charge you 1.5% of the amount withdrawn. The minimum transaction charge for this is £2.00 and the most we'll charge you for each transaction is £4.50. This applies to all foreign cash transactions.

When you make a purchase (not a cash withdrawal) abroad or in a currency other than sterling - we will charge you £1. This fee will also apply to internet or home shopping card purchases that are not made in sterling.

If you use your Cashpoint® card abroad you will be charged 1.5% (minimum £1.50) of the amount you withdraw.

For the above reasons, I have now opened a Nationwide account. They do not charge you for use of your card or for withdrawing cash when abroad.

Andy.
Hi Andy

Thank you for that I feel a trip to the Nationwide coming on believe it or not they are next door to each other where I live.

Thank once again

Regards

Sarah
sorry folks, I should have said we are with the Nationwide and they don't charge for using your debit card at an ATM abroad. We've been doing it that way for years now.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.