Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
That travel shop in Avenida Telefonica. Armeni Tours is very close. Actually called Arman. And, yes, it is about the cheapest around. Only one I know that may beat it is the small shop (don't know the name) overlooking the Hercules apartment block in Benalmadena's Gamonal.
if theres a few of you - why not hire a car for a day. Its a quick whizz down the motorway (i reckon you could do it in an hour and a quarter). If you park in La Linea de la Concepion and walk across the border you'll have no problems queuing, which i bet you have on a coach.

as soon as you're in you can get a bus ticket for all day travel for £1.50 which will take you anywhere you need to go. Morrisons for example!

Driving down the autovia does involve tolls which is another cost, or you could take the coast road which is pretty scenic, but much slower.
We are going to Fuengirola on 20 Feb and while we are there want to goto Gibralta for the day.

Anyone know hows best - book a trip?
Theres 6 of us 4 adults and 2 kids

Thanks
Michelle
when we stayed in benalmadena we used a local firm which actually picked up at places along the way! It was half the price of the tour operators! There are signs posted all round Benalmadena advertising the trips! I presume it will be the same in Fuengirola!
Think there is a post within the costa del sol forum about day trips to Gib and the charges of local companies etc . probably a few pages back now - maybe mods can find? On anoher but related note - access to and from Gib by road has improved. Extra lanes are now in use although care should be taken when leaving Gib if wanting to use the "green channel" -nothing to declare - as it is not well sign posted and you can find yourself in the wrong lane. Somewhat easier when entering Gibraltar however.

Nivsy
While la linea has improved dramatically over the past few yeras (still some of the best tapas bars on the coast in my opinion), local press has recently highlighted some problems with crowds of youths hanging around an area surrounded by Chinese/thai/Indian eating houses - on the main road frequented by many who walk from Gibraltar to La Linea for a "tapas run" (always popular with Gib locals and people holidaying on Gibraltar).

There has been reports of attacks and muggings of locals and tourists however it is now understood that the local spanish police are taking greater interest in patroling the area.

If not familiar with La Linea etc - and even if you are - just be careful.

Nivsy
what about hiring a car for the day,it may work out cheaper and you can please yourself,what you do.
Personally, I wouldn't bother with the trip at all, unless you were hiring a car and particularly wanted to see the rock! Enjoyed seeing the apes, but that comprised about half an hour. The rest was spent on a 2 hour coach trip either way (went from Torremolinos) and 2 hours shopping in Gibralta, which I didn't think was a nice place at all. Why people go to Spain & then spend hours walking around a place which looks like the town they've just left behind to come on holiday is beyond me. If I wanted to go to Dorothy Perkins and BHS I'd wait while I got back! Never again.
Why people go to Spain & then spend hours walking around a place which looks like the town they've just left behind to come on holiday is beyond me. If I wanted to go to Dorothy Perkins and BHS I'd wait while I got back! Never again

Hear hear....and never again for me too.!...but I suppose you have to do it once. :lol:

Sanjiiiiiiiiiiii
While not wanting to sing praises particularly of Gibraltar - i do have a somewhat ironic smile on my face when i consider the costa del sol and previous posts in this forum. You do have to really look quite hard for real spain down the whole coast - yes I do know it exists of course - but lets face it - english breakfasts - food like pie and chips etc - pubs and rotten lager readily available - so I cant really fully agree saying Gibraltar is like UK when - it can be argued - you dont have to look too far throughout the whole of the costa del sol to find "little britain"
The hoistory and culture of Gib is indeed with strong british influences - but perhaps that is why it is maybe more of a shame that such influences have developed up the coast!

Nivsy
Not keen on the place but there are some interesting things to see. Most just tend to wander around main st. pricing spirits and perfumes, cigs etc. and they don't see anything else. can't understand people who give up one whole day of their annual holiday just for some cheap booze and ciggies though.

Hardly any queues at the moment (5mins).
Hi

Spot on posts from nivsy and sanji.

Been twice to Benelmadena and have not been tempted to visit Gibralta.

As for peoples attitudes to visiting the costas,. I have just returned from Calella de la Costa and was asked by a party of 4 english people visiting for the day, where they could get english food? although sorely tempted to say most of england I refrained due to there age.

Having suggested a good cafe we met them again in the street looking lost, after being thanked for the recomendation and making conversation I asked the gentleman where they were staying the answer was that he did not know but it was somewhere up the coast.

regards

Pars fan
While not wanting to sing praises particularly of Gibraltar - i do have a somewhat ironic smile on my face when i consider the costa del sol and previous posts in this forum. You do have to really look quite hard for real spain down the whole coast - yes I do know it exists of course - but lets face it - english breakfasts - food like pie and chips etc - pubs and rotten lager readily available - so I cant really fully agree saying Gibraltar is like UK when - it can be argued - you dont have to look too far throughout the whole of the costa del sol to find "little britain"
The hoistory and culture of Gib is indeed with strong british influences - but perhaps that is why it is maybe more of a shame that such influences have developed up the coast!

Hi Nivsy
IMO: I think what you are referring too, are two different things.
Gibraltar is a British overseas territory that was taken by force from the Spanish by a joint effort of the British and Dutch fleet, well it belonged to the Moors actually and when the Catholic Queen Isabella kicked all the Moors out of Spain, Gibraltar became a place for the Jews to go, who until that time had lived side by side with the Moors in Andalucia .and ever since that day the Spanish have been wanting it back, so the British made it everything that can/could be British because they needed the navy base there to control the Straits of Gib.

Don't mean to give you a history lesson (sorry) but I've never seen a Calle in Spain with Dorothy Perkins, M&S, Body Shop, BHS etc etc and such a British "concentration" of flying the flag.
We British took it and made it ours, and even Franco and his troops could not get it back, so when you visit Gibraltar, you are visiting Britain in the sun.
The British influence up and down the rest of the Costa's is a different thing altogether, and you really do not have to look too far to find Spain still there amongst the "fish n chips" but, like most things, you have to want to find or even see it in the first place. :wink:
Sanjiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
  • Edited by Sanji 2007-03-17 22:51:00
We went to Gibralta a couple of years ago when we were staying at The bali in Benalmadena! We went on a local trip and I think it was only about 7 euros each! Plus we got 200 fags each which we sold on when we got home so the trip was really for free!
We didn't go to see the apes but I think maybe we should have as after walking the shops there wasn't much else to do!
we got our litre of booze each and ended up having a pub meal!
I found the shops were really not that cheap apart from the booze and fags and it was really like a small high st from the uk!
We wouldn't make the trip again but it's something to do once! especially as it was really free if you take in to consideration the fags and spirits we got! Depends if you want to use up a day of your holiday doing it or not!

We got off the coach and people were pointing out the red post boxes etc and I was thinking, blimey we have hundreds of them that I walk past everyday at home! :)
I think you've got to go and have a visit just to see how it works. Maybe hire a taxi when you are there and get the driver to show you the sites-I thjought it was fascinating-but then we had a good driver who did a good job of showing us round.
hi im staying in benalmadena/arryo de la miel area and wondering if there was any places where i could book a day trip to gibraulter and how much it costs?
thanks
princess :D
going to benalmadena in 3 weeks and thinking of going to giraltar for the day.
Anyone any ideas as to how much a coach trip costs

thanks
Think it's €22 for shopping and rock tour, best place is Arman tours opp Bali to book.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.