Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
Favorite wine
47 Posts
Thanks to all the recomendations. I manage to try a few different wines this time but didn`t manage them all but have wrote them down for next time.
Faustino vII I tried it left a strange after taste, not one I would have again.
Campo Viejo I like this ,very nice, will def have this one again.

Found a nice local cheap wine had both white and red in a Chinese and again at a local bar. It was called Alacante.

I tried several different ones out and about but didn`t get their names.

I tried sherry, husband ordered it and it came chilled but was sweet and dark very nice but sickly, didn`t try to get the pale one again as didn`t have time.

Ididn`t manage to try Marques , we noticed Spainish ordering it but didn`t realise what it was at the time until we saw the bottle on the last day.

Christine W
Glad you had a good time trying out various vinos Christine. I'm not a fan of the Faustino VII either find it a touch harsh, I much prefer the I and the V. The Marques you mention will probably be either Marques de Riscal, Marques de Caceras or Marques de Murrieta. All Three are large reliable producers with quite an array of wines both white and red. I too like Campo Viejo wines, again a reliable producer with Crianza, Reserva and Gran Reserva reds. Its good that you tried some wines from the local Alicante region too, as you say you can get these quite cheaply and very decent they are too. I'm starting salivating again now....got to wait till 22nd Jan for my fix...but I have got some Marques de Murrieta, and some Torres vina Esmerelda to keep me going at home till then! :lol:
  • Edited by Taggy 2006-04-20 21:43:06
Price Range local supermarkets: €4-€10:
RED:
Campo Viejo(Sometimes you will get a bad wine)
Cune
Marques de Caceras
El Coto
Faustino V

€10 and more:
Marques de Riscal
Faustino I
Marques de Murrieta
Latter is the Best

White:
Torres Vina Sol
Marques de Caceras(Dry)
Monopol(Dry)
Antonio Barbadillo (Cadiz), not expensive and the locals love it!

Semi Sweet:
Diamante

Iam not fond of local wine, especially the Housewine from Alicante(except more expensive Red Alicante wine)

Except to pay double supermarketprice in restaurants(triple in Fancy ones)

My local chinese(China Town) sells Nice wines for a reasonable price.
They have a nice dry Housewine from Valencia.
I've tried most of those and can Recommend them. I've not tried the El Coto or the Antonio Barbadillo wines so would be interested in any views about them, and which restaurants they may have them in. I've been lucky with my Campo Viejo wines i've not had a poor one yet, but I hav'nt had the Crianza, just Reserva and Gran Reserva, and found them delicious.
Marques de Alicante Red is a good and Sangre de Toro from Torres is also good.

Most Rioja wines from 1996 and 1998 are excellent!!

I have tried a wine from d.o.c. TORO(not sangre de toro but origin Toro)
It was also excellent. Locals tell me d.o.c. TORO is the new Rioja
Hi Philemon - I am assuming from your posts that you live in or around Benidorm.If thats the case was wondering if you may be able to suggest which would be the bars and/or restaurants that you could recommend as having the best Spanish winelists? The most extensive Spanish lists i've found so far are at El Meson Restaurant on Calle Gerona and The Restaurant La Cava Aragonesa below the well known Tapas bar in Plaza de la Constitucion (spell?). Its always a joy to try different wines and local knowledge is most helpful. Salud. - Taggy.
Hi Taggy,
Yes Iam living& Working in Benidorm.

Well Iam a casual drinker and do not drink that much in restaurants, only at home behind the pc ;-).

Currently Iam drinking a Jacob's Creek from Australia. it`s a nice wine.

About restaurants&bars:
I know that Meson Plaza Mayor owns a nice Wine Cellar, it`s situated in old town nearby calle Thomas Ortuno on the Plaza Mayor.

The Corte Ingles in Alicante has a fancy restaurant(not the buffet/cafetaria) on the top floor with excellent food(lamb) and nice wines.

I eat a lot in Toscane, China Town & Gaviotas. The Latter has not that many wines to choose from.

But to be honest I think the most upscale spanish restaurants have a decent winelist, but you will find almost the same selection.

If you try some regional restaurants(pais vasco or andalusian) you will find wine from overthere.
Thanks Philemon, am there on Sunday just for 4 nights, and will certainlt be sampling several bottles then! Am salivating already! :lol:
Had a lovely bottle of Villa Magno Gran Reserva 1997 at El Meson during our recent visit, it was a superb, smooth, delicious wine!
Just tried a lovely Rioja called campo alto, I only paid 3.5 euros for it, it was the last bottle, so I couldn`t get any more. I thought it was the nicest Rioja I`ve tried. Any one seen this one for sale in the uk.

I also have bought a Torres Esmerelda, I think I got a got deal in duty free 6.5 euros, I sure I saw it in resort for 12 euros. I might save it for a special occasion but to be honest I don`t think it will make it past the weekend.

I did`nt relaise the Rioja we regularly buy from Asda £2.90 ish was a Marques it`s called Marques Del Norte, it`s lovely nice easy drinking.
Hi Christine, I'm glad to see you are being adventurous with your wine choices and experimenting...fun aint it Hic!! :lol:

The Torres Vina Esmeralda White wine you mention is available at Tesco, at around £5 a bottle. I've got about 4 bottles left...its lovely stuff...brill with seafood or just for guzzling!! They had it at La Aitena Restaurant in Benidorm last time I was there, will be going again in 4 weeks!

I've not tried Campo Alto Rioja (means High Country/Field) myself and have done a swift search on the net and the only bottles I can find, are in a deli shop in Palma de Mallorca!!! ...so you might have to wait till you go back there!!

Rioja is divided into 3 wine growing regions...Alavesa which extends into the Basque Country...Baja which is the Low Region...and Alta (where your wine came from) which is the High Region and the largest of the 3 areas.

I'm only drinking Tea at the moment :(

Best Regards - Taggy :)
Not being a wine drinker myself I'm a bit stumped here.

Last year I bought a 1994 (I think) vintage Rioja for a friend from that off-licence/grocery store on Avda Mediterraneo - can't remember the name of the place but it's the one that's been there donkey's years - anyway, neither of us can remember the name of it.

Can any of you help me out here? All I can remember is it cost about €18 and they had three different vintages of the same wine with thisone being the most expensive. Faustino 1 rings a bell but I'm not convinced.
Chears for that info Taggy.

My Dads going to Majorca twice this summer , I think I`ll ask him to bring me a bottle or two back.

I`ve tried lots of wines this year but just starting on the Spainish.

Lucky you going again to Benidorm, were hoping to go at Christmas or New Year
Hi WiganFrank - The price sounds about right for a Faustino I(Primero) Gran Reserva. The vintage of that particular wine that is in good supply at the moment in UK, is 1995. Its priced around £15 at Oddbins and should be available at many of the larger supermarkets too. They also produce a Faustino V (Quinto) Reserva, which spends a bit less time in Barrel & Bottle, and is usually about £5 less than the Primero. Also a Faustino VII (Septimo) which is usually around £7 a bottle but is a younger wine still.

Hi Christine - The address & phone no: of the deli is Villamar 2000SL, Gremi Boters 17, 07009 Palma de Mallorca. Tel 971 432690. If your Dad was going to try there I would check in advance that its still in stock, to save making a wasted journey if not. If you look for the name Alta on the label of other Riojas, it may be worth giving them a try, given that the grapes are growing in a similar terrain & altitude to yours, you may like them too. A lot depends on the grape variety used too, it tends to be mainly Tempranillo Grapes blended with Garnacha, the blend can alter every year depending on climate. Also you quite often get a little map of Rioja on the back label, to show you which region of Rioja its from!

Yep, I'm ready for Beni again now!! :D

Thanks Taggy. I had a feeling that was it but wasn't too sure as the label on the back wasn't quite as I remembered it. £15 would be a comparable price though. Ishall have to give it a try. I recently found an off-licence in Southport which sold imported Estrella Damm so they might be a good bet as well.
If in the area of Denia,the co-operative in Xalo (Jalon) is worth a visit for their wines.I can recommend their white at about 2.50 a bottle or you can buy it in plastic gallon cans.
I brought home as much as as I could carry.Cant wait till Im in the area again to get some more.
I recently found an off-licence in Southport which sold imported Estrella Damm so they might be a good bet as well.

Theres also an Oddbins on Lord Street, WiganFrank so you might be in luck there too! :)

Castillo San Lorenzo (Rioja) is available from Tescos, on offer, normally £8.99 now £4.49 for anyone from Lancashire who might be interested.

Sue :) :)
Well thank you kindly Maam!...If you got any Sue let us know what you think! :wink:

Best Regards - Taggy :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.