Help And Assistance

Need help and advice on using this forum? Post your queries in here.
Well, I guess this site doesn't run on fresh air, it has to generate some revenue to continue and if they don't want to start charging a membership fee, there has to be some advertising.
In an ideal world it would be nice to be advert free, so like it or lump it, that is the reality, and having them tucked away under the avatars is IMO the best place for them, rather than like other sites where they have them sprawling across the page in between posts.

Sanji x
sanji,

I agree with you completely and fell that it is important that Holiday Truths stays a free site as this is the best way to get across all the knowledge of the people who contribute. I think the main reason why I am not keen is the fact that it makes the box you post in much larger. (even if you don't have much to say, like me often :) )

I am sure we will get used to them in the fullness of time.

Gower
Hi Gower
Yes, I had noticed that ( the boxes larger) and you have to scroll down more, but it's a catch 22 scenario because if they were positioned like other sites in between the posts, you still have the same problem of having to scroll passed them.
I think being tucked away under the avatars they are 'not in your face' like they would be under the posts, and you can train your eye to ignore them because I tend to look/focus at the post part of the page and not the avatar boxes part (if that makes sense), where as if they were sprawling across the page....you can't.
That's just my opinion based on my knackered eyes.

Sanji
Agree with that, Sanji... and David, thanks for the reply

ATB,J.
Thanks both for your positive feedback. We do try to limit adverts to as little as possible but we do need some revenue to keep the site running.

Regarding speeds I've spoken to Van who's said that they are being monitored and hopefully rectified due to the removal of the .tv thumbnails and we will be looking at including them in the future without them affecting speeds
I like the new ticker feed at the top of HT think it's great idea - especially good to remind new folks that HT are Independent :tup
New ticker is a great idea - but, the rest of the adverts and particularly under posters avatars I find are misleading, too many and the constantly refreshing adverts are continually slowing the site down.

We only have a slow broadband connection here in Cyprus (my 2mb is the fastest I can get without going business based) and it's really time consuming going between posts and different parts of the forum.

Any chance of a half way option?

Thanks
Shell
Limassol, Cyprus
Ticker is great, I quite agree.

A genuine question though, about the ads under our avatars. I really don't understand why they are there, why does HT need revenue to continue, if that is what they are for? There are already ads at the top of the page, and some after first posts in threads. From other forums I belong to I have been led to believe that if you click on an ad, then it generates income for the owner. I also am a member of forums that have no ads at all, yet continue quite happily without them.
Don't know if I've pressed something by mistake or whether it's a new look forum but the layout of the forum's just changed on my screen. Everything seems to be centre text now and I'm a bit lost. Has something been altered in the layout please?
Nothing has changed as far as I can see Shirley, everything looks as normal to me. Not sure what your problem might be. :hmmm
David :wave
shirley h wrote:
Don't know if I've pressed something by mistake or whether it's a new look forum but the layout of the forum's just changed on my screen. Everything seems to be centre text now and I'm a bit lost. Has something been altered in the layout please?

I'm getting the same thing Shirley

Judith
I use Firefox and everything is displaying as normal, but switching to Internet Explorer I can see exactly what you mean. I will alert Van to these posts.

I've just checked in IE and it all looks fine to me although I'm not logged in in IE.

luci :wave
Yep, Van has been on and fixed things.

Hi,

Site looks informative.

You can use better colors and graphics and trust me, it gonna rock!
;)
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this - please feel free to move it if not, but I want to add a signature but keep getting the message: "You are not authorised to define a signature."

Is this a known problem or do I need to request it?

Thanks

Justin.
Hi Justin ... signatures to a member's travel/holiday related website are at the discretion of Admin. They would normally be considered after a significant period of membership and appropriate level of informative input on the forums during that time.

Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.