Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
It is a nice, concise letter and will fit onto one side of A4 so that is good!

There are a few typos which you should correct before you send it off - I always think unless it is perfectly presented and all typos remedied, they do not take you so seriously.

eg line 1: complaints procedure not complains procedure

3rd para: understandably, not understandable

premium not premimum in last para

I am not being funny and criticising your spelling (after all, it is not that, just typos) just saying that it helps them to take you very seriously if you make no mistakes.
A sensible letter Mark, which could serve as an object lesson to many of us - and I wish you all the best with your claim. However perhaps the right to substitute a different aircraft will be covered in their T&C, and is there any possibility that they did not know your reason for booking the premium seats so would not know why they were so important when they decided whom to 'downgrade' due to limited space?
violetta,

Thanks for pointing out the typos, I have corrected them. Blame the jet lag for that myself.

Alsacienne,

First Choice was fully aware that wheel chair assistance for one person and the other person had walking difficulties and would need some aid getting to the plane as (1) this was booked back in November and (2) it was mentioned to the resort rep on our first day in Aruba as Thomson Airways failed to provide assistance for both parties on the way out and we asked her to assure the same didn't happen on the way back (which it didn't).

Yes, the t's and c's state they can substitute airplanes and even airlines and that this will not be classified as a major change, but despite reading these t's and c's on a number of occassions (I booked online not via a brochure) it states nowhere that a premium upgrade is not guaranteed when booked.

Mark :)
accommodated and understandable put a damper
Think that should be understandably Mark ;)

We can all understand the need to change aircraft but if that's the case then surely they should refund the money spent as they haven't fulfilled their contract?

More out of curiosity Mark - did the return flight not have premium service at all or was there only a certain amount of seats and you were unfortunate?
It did have premium service on the way back - 5 rows instead of the 10 rows on the way out. I believe some 20+ people found themselves in our predicament.

A refund to my debit card for £ 400 was made on the 3rd June - one full week before we flew back. On return, an adjusted confirmation invoice was in the post, deducting £ 400 from the original invoice with no reason given for it.

Presumably the refund was to cover half of your premium upgrade (ie the inbound sector) plus something else. I don't think it's reasonable to request your full premium upgrade to be refunded as you had the benefit of half of it.
Is your request for compensation for loss of enjoyment (1/14th of holiday cost) after the cost of flights has been deducted? Unfortunately they can, and do, change aircraft.

I am only asking because we were in a similar situation last year with Thomsons but the outbound sector was 'off-loaded' to a a different carrier. Premium seats with less pitch but extras not as paid for. The flight started as a 9.30am to Jamaiica and ended up as a 10.00pm. We lost a full day. It has taken us from last March 2008 to 4 weeks ago to get this settled (including court mediation). Thomsons/First Choice customer service is like banging your head on a brick wall only slightly more painful.

I wish you all the luck in the world.
We paid £ 330 each for the upgrade, eg £ 165 per leg, hence I am miffed why only £ 100 per person was refunded (party of 4).

1/14 of the cost was calculated as total price of holiday minus 4 x £330.

• Edited by MarkJ 2009-06-11 17:06:32
    Calcutation error
The upgrade was expensive!!! So yes, you should be refunded half of it. I think you would have to knock the full price of the flights off the cost before dividing by 14 so you can justify what you are asking for. Only saying this because I know exactly how hard work they can be. It took months to get them to admit that the service wasn't as described let alone even thinking about compensation for loss of a day. There was also duty of care issue but that it is too complicated to go into here.
Yes, we paid more than others for the upgrade (we spoke to others and they paid £ 200 return) but we were more than happy to pay for this.

But as usual, it is going to be a battle proving this (booking through web) as the confirmation invoice doesn't give a breakdown of the cost as usual.

Your letter (spelling errors excepted) does demonstrate how complaints should be addressed.

You completed a report in resort. So many decide to skip that and rely on their letter of complaint. You refer to a legally binding contract (it is) which should immediately move it past the automated response that so many get. You state the facts - without the waffle and rant that so many feel the need to include, and very importantly detail exactly what you are asking for, including distress compensation.

I particularly like you re-assurance comment - although no doubt they will reply ignoring that, or with their own waffle.

For anyone seeking advice how to put in a claim it could be considered as an ideal model.

Obviously you will be keeping us informed of the outcome. I just wonder how long it will take them.

fwh
I totally agree with FWH, Mark,

Great letter and to the point. You should definitely be given the refund for the seats/services they didn't provide but if I know these holiday companies, it will be a long drawn out process before they agree that your last night was spoilt. Anybody with an ounce of intelligence would see how it could have affected you but hey, these are FC.
Good Luck!!
Thanks all for your comments and I will of course keep you all updated with how the claim progresses.

I will post the letter recorded delivery (signed for) on Monday when I have access to a printer.

I feel you are doing nothing but trying it on with regards to the "loss of enjoyment" compensation...how can the fact that you had to sit in a normal aircraft seat have distressed you so much as to ruin your holiday! why should they give you back the money for day 14? did you not get fed? did you not get your drinks? did you not get a bed for the evening? did the hotel not provide everything it was contracted to do as per days 1-13? commpensation culture again....the airline cant magic up 5 more rows of premium seats can it? it had a change of aircraft for a reason this meant some people missed out..you are as others say entitled to have the payment for this service repaid but as for being distressed for the last day of your holiday - I can only say grow up! if you are that easily distressed I don't think you should be leaving your cotton wool wrapped world that you must live in.

all IMHO
I think you can get your point across without being rude.

May I suggest you familiarise yourself with our terms and conditions in particular number 3. http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=968

Kath
Gaz I can understand where you are coming from though in that really there was no loss of enjoyment from the holiday itself, just a knowledge that the return journey would not afford the comfort you had paid extra for.

However, I think it's worth trying for loss of enjoyment compensation. If you don't ask then you certainly don't get. They would argue the toss on refund for services not provided anyway so why not give them a higher figure to negotiate down from, rather than a lower one?

Perfect letter I agree with the others, no emotional blah, blah blahing that is so easy to put in and would be ignored.
kath I disagree - I have not been rude or disprespectful - I am just saying it as I see it, people who try and sponge compensation for no good reason should be discouraged because all it will succeed in doing is putting up the prices for those of us who live in the real world. Again I say if anyone is "offended" by the words Grow up then they really should not be playing with the grown ups in the nasty big old world we live in.....
gazthomas you obviously have no idea what its like to travel when you have disabilities. Long haul flights are very uncomfortable for us and for that reason disabled people are more than willing to pay extra for the space provided by the Premium upgrade, to find that it wasn't available for the return flight would cause worry and distress. Looking to spend 9+ hours in pain when you have no choice is very upsetting indeed and its about time the airlines prioritised disabled people when this kind of thing happens.
Sorry silverpixie can't agree with you there. How is being disabled and being bumped from premium any worse than being bumped when you are 6'6" with a 36" inside leg and had a pulmonary embolism (which means you have to be able to move around)?

Unfortunately when we book premium seats we should be aware that there is a likelyhood of not getting them. Not saying this is right but it is a fact. Perhaps this is something to take into account when we pick our holiday destination.
silverpixie1uk - 1st off I am disabled

2ndly - Risk analysis - always plan for the worst possible event - if you don't feel a 9 hour trip in a normal seat is possible for you then don't risk the trip...because like this story an alternative may just not be availbable

3rdly - everyone will always have an argument for why they should be treatred as a priority....
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.