Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
ooh fiona where do we start this should be interesting :?:

on a serious note dont forget to visit your G.P. get your injections which dont usually cost anything and start your malaria tablets prior to going sometimes they make you feel a bit sickly so i recomend taking them at bed time you dont feel the ill affects while your sleeping anita :D
After weeks of intense negotiations with Fiona, she has agreed to making this post a new sticky for the benefit of first timers to Goa. Hopefully, all you seasoned Goa's will provide much needed information on what and what not to do, where and where not to go or stay, best and not so good places to eat, etc, etc... So lets do all the new travellers to Goa a great favour and talk them through from getting of the plane, getting a taxi, their first day on the beach and what to expect and how best to deal with it (dogs, cows, beach sellers, tidal undercurrents etc). I am sure the information will be of help to lots of people.
Ray. :yikes
Ray
Too late - I started it off for you! :lol:
I don't know if this will be of any use, but i strongly suggest keeping out of the sea! well not out of the sea completely, but only venture out to knee height. The currents are so stronge. I remember a few months ago on my last visit to goa, i went waist deep and nearly drowned. It was a scary experience.
Please don't be tempted to go all inclusive on your first trip - you will almost certainly go back! There are so many fantastic places to eat (see restaurants sticky) and very cheap.

If you are on a package the rep will no doubt tell you not to eat at the beach shacks - ignore this. They are brilliant, the food is all fresh everyday and very tasty.

Don't book trips with the reps ask people you meet eg shack owners, other holiday makers (most of whom will have been going year after year) who they use and they will usually give you a taxi drivers number and details of how much you should pay.

If you need to go to the chemist for anything it is very cheap. The first time we went to get some rehydration salts we took our credit card just in case! It cost us about 25p for loads of satchets and was much better than the stuff you buy over here.

Don't tell a taxi driver it is your first time in Goa say it is your second/third trip. Otherwise they will want you to stop at their friends shop etc and can be quite persistant.

Mist of all enjoy yourself. When we first arrived I wasn't at all sure about Goa partly because I was tired after a long flight. After the initial culture shock I just fell in love with the place and I know I am not the only one on this site who feels the same.
Never offer money or anything with your left hand! and if eating with fingers the same applies. left hand only used for toilet !
Never ever trust a taxi driver or a beach trader :roll:
Remember you are in a developing Country. You will get power cuts, it won't be clean everywhere, you will see poverty.

Nothing gets done quickly - it will get done, but on the local's terms. Just sit back, relax and enjoy another beer!

To you things are cheap, but don't throw your cash around. A lot of what you are buying is sold at vastly inflated prices to begin with. We asked a local to buy some tablecloths for us - he paid 100 rupees, tourist price 500. Shave for a tourist 50 rupees, local 10.

Beware when buying saffron - most of it isn't genuine.

Remember you are in India, a fascinating Country. Try and experience as much Indian life as possible. Go to Temples, see the Countryside, get to a local town to experience life beyond the tourist zone.

Go on at least one local bus journey!!
Never say to a beach seller:
'Later'
'Maybe'
'Perhaps'
I'll look tomorrow'

- unless of course, you DO intend to look at their wares later.

Anything other than a 'NO' means 'yes' to them - and they'll always remember you and say to you 'You promised'.
Maybe be careful about getting too friendly with a beach seller or taxi driver etc.....

Take a look at Ladyjan's post titled 'Were we too friendly' - it's easy to get yourself into a situation where your new 'friend' suddenly starts asking you for money and you may find it hard to say 'No'.
this is a good thread. Well done Ray for suggesting it- some really good tips from members.
Dont pay outrageous brochure prices, remember you will be making a long charter flight and unless it,s with First Choice it will be an uncomfotable start to your holiday, also remember the hotel accommodation will be very basic, so keep that in mind when you see the price Alan
Don't use the transfer bus from the Airport to Hotel, take a taxi and beat the crowds. That way you'll be checked in and enjoying your first Kings before the rest of them, another good reason to get there before the crowds is to scrutinise your room. If you don't like the room that you've been allocated there should still be some un-occupied rooms for you to swap with.....shame for the people on the bus who get your rejected leftover!!!

Don't show any interest for the goods on sale at the beach in the first few days that you arrive, otherwise every hawker and his dog will surround your sunbed and hassle you into submission..."Fresh Meat" is what they call the new arrivals and I've seen loads of people eaten by the sharks.

Stock up on Imodium, stomach cramp tablets and vomit stop as soon as you arrive. They cost a fraction of what you'd pay at home, if you fall ill during the night at least you won't have to scramble around for a taxi in the early hrs to get you to the 24hr chemist.

Always carry wet wipes or liquid handwash - evryone you meet in Goa will want to shake hands.

GFF xx
If during a taxi journey the driver asks you to go to a shop so he can have a docket stamped so he gets a free tire/service etc, be firm and say no. Otherwise you will spend the next couple of hours at a jewelery store or the like having the hard sell at inflated prices....

When bartering always be careful before the handshake as they have a tendancy to up the price slightly just as you are about to shake hands, dont know if they just do this as a joke as have never been caught by it.

Also after bartering if you have agreed a price then you will be expected to purchase the item, if you then walk away and dont buy the item you can expect some hassle (and so you should) :D

Dont buy anything for your first few days until you get an idea of what you should be paying etc, as you can get royally rip'd off. Remember a person paying 2000 rupees for a sarong :shock: , we bought the same sarong from the same seller whilst the woman was still there for 150 rupees.

Also if you dont get the price that you want, dont worry just walk away, either the shop dude will come running after you and agree your price or you are in fact to low so at the next stall just up your price a little.

Dont listen to any sob storys about how they are making a loss or no money on an item so they can squeeze a few more rupees out of you after you have agreed a price, no shop/stall will sell anything if they are not making money on it.

Also remember that the products that you can buy are available everywhere so if you dont agree a price at one shop/stall/beach seller you can be sure the same item will be available elsewhere.

Lastly if you get a bargain great if you dont its nothing to worry about as another bargain is just round the corner.
Ladies Beware :yikes Dont take lots of fancy shoes and high heels cos there are no pavements as such and you will walk along some dark dirt track roads, and you dont want to topple over and hurt yourself.
Its a good idea to take some nice fashionable sandals which are still pretty but not to have such a very high heel.
Just to let you know
I have never paid more than 50 ruppees for a sarong. and I have bought many haha after learning my lesson the hard way. I kept saying tomorrow and by goodness they dont forget. This was the first visit to Goa and after the first week it was a standing joke that I was buying only the 1st week and the second I would be selling on the beach as I had bought that much tat.

The other guests at the hotel used to nearly die laughing when we got back from the beach somedays, and thought it was a right result for me to arrive back at the hotel after a hard days slog sunning it with just one bag full

But..... I loved every minute of it and them kids on the beach never forget you year after year.

I love listening to them and they are always interested in what you tell them. We have been dead lucky as no one has ever asked us for money, maybe the odd bottle of water but they are very welcome to it.

They are Lovely people who have very little but have the biggest smiles for everyone
Dont get in Taxi without getting price first if they say I give you good price walk away they will soon give you a fixed price ask other tourists what the going rate is.
This is an excellent sticky for first timers- I shall print this off and use it as my Bible. Thanks everyone keep 'em coming :D
Please note that nudity is not allowed on the beaches and this includes topless, so if you do it you could be in for some unwanted attention from the Indians. Its best to respect the local customs in a country were ladies bathe in saries :oops:
Small torch is a MUST :lol: (especially staggering back off the beach after stopping at the shack for 'just one more Old Monk!' :lol: ).

If you do get a taxi from the airport...REMEMBER TO TELL YOUR REP FIRST...otherwise a whole coachload of people will be sitting their waiting for you! :wink:

Personally....I don't eat the bacon/pork either :shock: :wink:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.