Spain - Balearics - Ibiza Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Ibiza.
Fishing in Ibiza
30 Posts
In the ocean! :D :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist!

I think they allow it off the marina in Santa Eulalia. I will ask John who owns Beachcomber in Almeria now but used to live in Santa Eu and is a bit of a fisherman for you. Watch this space!
Hiya Balericjobs,

Any information would be appreciated do you know if a permit would be required? Thank you for your help, take care.

wgipk.
I've seen people fishing off the foot bridge in Santa Eulalia, the one you cross on the way to Siesta.

With the amount of fish around that marina you really couldn't fail to catch some. You just have to throw in a bit of bread & they're six high above the water as they fight for it.
There is an article regarding fishing in Ibiza here
I can assure you that fishing is NOT allowed in the marina in Santa Eulalia. You are also not allowed to park your car across a zebra crossing, let your dog off its leash or allow it to foul the footpath but it doesn't stop anyone - this is Spain and rules are made to be broken.

One piece of advice, if you fish in the marina and you catch anything - don't eat it. The fish there live off diesel and raw sewage.
Hi,they are quite strict about fishing in the marina but you can fish off the harbour wall into the sea.
Reasonable fishing can be had anywhere that tourists throw bread to the mullet although the bigger ones are finnicky feeders.The smallest hooks and pieces of bread usually does the trick and if you can fish without weights and float then even better.
Near the harbour in Escana for small fish and at Mangos Beach Bar between SE and Escana can be very good.
Good luck and by the way by law you have to have a permit but in 21 years Ive not heard of a Tourist being fined for not having one,John.
Hiya John,

Thank you so much for that report, will pass this information on to hubby,

gook luck john.

wgipk.
As there are no rivers on Ibiza (you can't call that trickle at Santa Eulalia a river) then the only fishing is in the sea. Most harbours allow fishing off the sea walls (there will be signs posted if it isn't). Fishing off the rocks is fairly easy. Sometimes the lifeguards on beaches are not keen if there are bathers close by.

Keep the tackle light. Size 14 or 16 hooks work best. Good baits include bread, sweetcorn, bacon rind, bits of fish or pasta. Soak the pasta in cold water for a couple of hours then knead into a thick paste. It can then be moulded around the hook. Be prepared for the thousands of tiny fish to nibble the bait off the hook before you get a fish of reasonable size taking the bait. Quite often the fish are so numerous that they have removed your bait before the hook has sunk to it's proper depth! Some tackle shops and large supermarkets with tackle sections sell live bait such as worms.
Hiya Hi De Hi,

Thanx for that information, any idea what prices are like in tackle shops for rods, reels etc?

wgipk.
You can buy kits fairly cheaply if I recall. Be warned though that the kits usually contain loads of things you won't need like huge hooks and won't have a lot of the smaller stuff that you will need. Another oddity is that they use odd numbers for hook sizes on the Continent!

We use telescopic rods which will fit into a suitcase. Ours are Daiwa 5.4 metres in 9 sections. They collapse into about 75 cms. We bought these from a street market a few years back for 12 Euros each including the reel and line! Many souvenir type shops also sell tackle such as floats, hooks etc.

Our normal holiday kit is 2 rods, reels etc and a small tackle box with a dozen floats, knife and all the other bits and bobs you need. Remember to take a piece of rag with you to wrap around any fish you might land. This will keep your hands free of slime and also prevent you getting jabbed by the spinier species you are likely to land.

And if you don't intend to eat them then chuck them back straight away. The Spanish eat everything they catch but the French have this annoying habit of dropping the fish into a small beach bucket leaving them to gasp and die then just tip them back in the sea at the end!

And in answer to your original question you do not need a permit to fish in the sea.
  • Edited by Hi De Hi 2005-09-16 13:40:33
larger tackle such as rods and reels tend to be expensive so bring as much as you can with you.
There is a tackle shop close to where the ferries land in Santa Eulalia,John.
Is that the big one by the Marina? Sort of a ship's chandlers/fishing tackle/Divers shop?
Just read the article on fishing recommended above. Can't help spotting the irony in the Spanish complaining about modern fishing methods raping the sea! Given that for years their fleets ignored EU fishing quotas, conservation areas and minimum sizes and literally sucked the oceans clean around everyone elses coast! :twisted:
Thank you all for your help,

Hubby usually packs his telescopic rod when going on holiday, he likes to buy something from the tackle shops, dont suppose they would sell fies for fly fishing? in tackle shops in Ibiza.

wgipk.
And in answer to your original question you do not need a permit to fish in the sea.[/quote

You need a licence to fish anywhere in Spain and Ibiza is no different although as they have no rivers or lakes as such I dont suppose a coarse licence will be available.The following may be of some help although I suspect it is aimed at Majorca (Ibiza is mentioned) but the rules for the whole of the Balearics I believe is the same.

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwebs.ono.com%2Fusr024%2Fpesca-sub%2Fnormativa.htm&langpair=es%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

The town hall in Santa Eulalia may be able to advise best,John.

]
Thank you so much for your help, hubby will take his telescopic rod and hopefully I'll get some shopping done.

Take care,

wgipk.
Have to say that I have fished in Majorca, Ibiza and mainland Spain for about the last 30 years and not once have I ever been challenged about a licence!

Just watch where the locals fish and join them!
Will pass that information on to other half Hi De Hi,

thank you.

wgipk.
Never mind the fishing licence, hope you have a TV licence. :lol: :lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.