Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
fishing in Goa
131 Posts
Tiger prawns - have you been on one of these trips ? We went on one organised by our shack owner last year and had a great time.Only out for 3 hours but had a good laugh ( i caught the smallest fish,about 2" long !!!)
We are sorting it out to go again this year but are wanting to go a bit further out to sea for the 'biggies' - Kingfish.
Hi Spike, no I have not been out fishing yet. I fly to Goa on 3rd March (6th visit). But fishing is something I have always loved but never had the chance to do it properly in India as no-one seems to be bothered. Hopefully Reggie will have sorted this out.
fishing in goa is not the same as england.

1 sunny :lol:
2 no rod
3 need sensitive fingers
4 kings/kingfisher negates no 3
5 bloody good fun
6 best place to fish is around the river princess, but remember big fish and thick line hurts hands :D

Great fun, used to go out with joseph (bobbys shack) for about 300 rupees a half day, he gets the catch to feed his family and we have fun.
Hi mrstella, I think that Reggie will provide proper fishing tackle, rods,reels and bait. There are large Baracuda, Tuna and Snappers waiting to be caught. I will post my thoughts AFTER I have been out with him. Am I being optomistic? :lol:
The only fish i have seen caught in goa are catfish, and they looked revolting :omg
yes mate you are.

Proper goan fishing tackle is about 50lb line attached to a little weight and a big hook with a nice big prawn or fish on the end. At the other end you generally have a bit of coconut husk to wrap your line around which is left in the bottom of the boat.

Dont get me wrong i love it, its great fun. IIRC the largest fish we caught was about 40lb on a hand line took a while to pull it in but was good fun.
Hi Lin b, Catfish are freshwater fish. I want to go sea fishing like mrstella. There have to be fish (other than the sharks who operate on the beaches :D ) somewhere in the sea there. Please don't crush my dreams..............
If you want to spend the extra on a bit of sport fishing (rod reel, really big fish try this)

http://www.solitairhols.co.uk/goa_fishing.html

but trust me, fishing with a hand line is brilliant, me and my friends went on the island trip which you do a bit of fishing and we run out of bait, my friend was a bit peeved as he never caught anything so put a bit of chewing gum on a hook pulled it out and the teeth marks was amazing. He was even more peeved when a woman on the trip hooked a nice sized fish and took the beer money that we had for weight and she had never fished before :lol: :lol: :lol:
When in Goa last year i tried fishing from the beach with a rod which i brought over. Seemed like a good idea until sand got in the reel and rod so i couldnt bring it home with me - telescopic rod jammed open!

Didnt catch much - lad in shack caught more on a hand line!

Very interested in fishing trip though. We stay near there so i may go and have a look. We travel out on 24th Feb for 3 weeks. :lol:
Tigerprawns - no worries!! the lads on our trip were pulling them in,but they were either big rock fish or a very 'odd' fish (yellow in colour with purple stripes) they made a strange noise laid in the boat a bit like a duck quacking ? - don't laugh it's true !! Have tried to find out what they could have been and the nearest i can get to is the 'yellow croaker fish' makes sense to me really.
He did say that if the sea was a bit more 'steady' we could have gone into deeper water for the kingfish.Used a mix of hand lines and rods - but the rods were not too good. :fish
HI tiger prawn...i caught several catfish from on the beach at morgim...i too thought catfish were freshwater fish :hmmm ...........but like everything else in Goa,things take you by surprise :shrug
Hi All,
I am planning on doing some sea fishing, when I arrive in Goa in December.
Anyone got any ideas, on lures that attract fish, or are you better using the conventional float & bait, or ledger ?
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanx in anticipation

Best Regards
Stewbacca :D
Stewbacca, have you already arranged the fishing? My husband is a mad keen fisherman & would love to do some sea fishing when out there. We're not there until 1st January though so probably not able to arrange something together? Any info you have would be greatfully received.

In return I will ask him re bait/lures as I know he has done quite a bit of sea fishing in the past, most recently in Sri Lanka - similar area so perhaps similar fish?! I'm sure he will gladly wax lyrical for ages about the best ones to use!!

Regards,

Kindar.
Kindar,
Will let you know how I got on when I get back on the 23rd December, Have a great time in January, hope your hubby catches lots out there.

Best Regards
Stewbacca :D :) :D
i have been trying to get info for ages on fishing in goa i have got a telescopic rod and some rigs/lures to try out not really done sea fishing only big game stuff where they do everything for you i would love to do some lake or river fishing as well
will be there over over xmas and new year so would be great to mix it with other anglers we could start a fishing meet up if any interest
We fish regularly using telescopic rods and baitrunners - ledgering mainly off the beach but have used floats and hair rigs (prawns) in calmer water; also a bit of spinning. I might take some PVA bags with me this year to see how they get on.

We are really carp fishermen which explains the kit.

We generally fish near Fort Reiss, by the river mouth, lots of fish there.

Also off Vagator Beach (the very far end by the rocks).

Baga river not too bad either but it can be hard finding a decent spot to sit particularly if there are a few of you.

Just before you get to Morjim Beach, again by the river mouth - close to where the fishing boats tie up in a small boat yard type thing - more of a dodgy looking beach really.

We also go trolling every year off Coco Beach with good results (red & white lures seem to work best). Someone we were with caught a lovely Snapper there when we were last out (Ancellman please stand up!!)

I can give you the telephone number of someone who can organise the trolling for you so you get everything supplied; rods; reels; lures but when we fish the rivermouths we lob up in the jeep and chuck out a line or two from the back.

Nothing better than catching your fish, jumping in the jeep and getting the shack/ restaurant owners to cook it for you - Sea to plate in less than 30 minutes and it doesn't get any fresher than that.

Early morning is generally the best time, just as the sun is rising or alternatively late afternoon as it is setting.

A word of caution, if you're fishing during the day wear a hat, the sun is decpetively strong - much more so that when sitting n the beach but maybe that's because I find it hard to sit still on a beach.

I have a couple of photos of the fish we have caught if anyone is interested. PM me with your e-mail address and I'll mail them back to you
Cheers for that info, pm sent .
Had a go off the beach at Sinquerim but not much luck.The rocks off the end of Fort Aguada (carefull climbing needed) were ok but only small fish.
Best bet is a half day out on the boats.Plenty of trips available,our shack owner organised ours.Rods supplied were poor as were the ledgers,so we stuck with the coconut handlines.
Had some Russians staying in our shack who were pretty good with a small line,weight and and wading out up to there waists.Early morning and sunset are good times the dolphins heading back to the estury seem to push the fish further inland.
Hi - Stewbacca - Hi Fritz
there any chance you could post the photo`s either here or on the goa photo`s gallerie. - I have also fished many times off the beach at candolim/Calangute -catching some small catfish and in the boats, not far from the beach - catching a variety of small - ish - snappers and the like. Does anyone know what the fishing is like in the estuaries - perhaps the area near the bridge on the way to Coco beach from the main candolim road - must at least be some big catfish in there somewhere! The monsoon time is best for fishing - my friend says he cought some big fish this time - always using a handline. Brian :P
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.