Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
fishing in Goa
131 Posts
:D A big thankyou to everyone for the excellent help, will take your advice and buy a couple of small knives when we get there and give them to someone along with most of our tackle before we return...............that way I'll have more room for shopping & souvenirs.............hey I might like fishing but Shopping is my 1st love.................I am female after all!! :lol:
Thanks again for taking the time to reply it's very much appreciated.
Scruffyish
Has anybody done any beachcasting, if so what type of baits are best to use , also what traces, hook sizes ????
Most fish off the beach are small but some have teeth so wire trace about size 10 hooks, normal dead bait limpets etc, this is only a rough guide so don't jump on me if its a bit out :lol: deeper water upgrade gear, happy fishing.

Alan
Hi Folks

I saw a lot of members asking for details on fishing in India and thought I'd post regarding this.

Good saltwater fishing can be had all along the coast of India provided you know the lie of the land. Big barramundi, snapper and GT's can be had when fishing off the rocks.

As far as freshwater fishing goes, the biggest mahseer are caught on the cauvery river in Karnataka close to Bangalore.

For loads of information on fishing in India, do a search on google for "india + angling + forum".

On the forum the search function on top of the main page will help you find most of the information you need.

Tight lines!
Bopanna
I recently bought rod, reel, rapalas etc whilst in Goa. Went North and fished both beach and boat with limited success, managed to get a Trevally! to the side of the boat then it was off before gaffed. I know people who have caught Barramundi up to 35kgs, Barracuda and Red Snapper all of a decent size. Do any members have any advice of best tackle to use, I was casting a repala into a strong current with no success as was too light and no real distance, how would I go about weighting for greater casting distance? I was also casting repala from anchored boat? What would be the best alternative lures to use, I would also like to know best place to aquire in UK as the tackle shops in Goa seem to have a very limited stock. Please either respond here or pm me. Many thanks. :? :idea:
My brother in law is a keen fisherman and he is coming to Goa to stay with us for 2 weeks over xmas and new year (we will be there a week before them). Can you tell me what the fishing is like, can he buy a rod out there or should he take his own?

Any comments would be helpful. We are staying at Anjuna.

Cheers
I'm sure all you fishermen will shout me down but can I make a plea that if fishing is your thing, you do it away from the heavily populated tourist beaches.

On several occasions over the years I've found myself near guys (it's always men!) with rods and all the fishing paraphernalia just in front of hundreds of people on sunbeds. One guy insisted on giving a loud commentary on gutting his fish and storing them up in the sand - don't want that on a holiday. :omg

The lines are a problem as you walk along the beach, too. There are many quiet beaches and rocky areas where the fishing is probably better and you won't be getting on the nerves of those who don't share your enthusiasm for skewering fish!

There - grouse over! :D
I have to agree roma, when were there in March there was a guy in front of our sun beds everyday, and on many occasions we actually see people being hooked as they walked by not realising that he was there fishing!! :omg

He would often just leave it there while did his own thing and people were getting caught up in the line and all sorts... I was amazed at his poor attitude.

We would actually like to go on a fishing trip next year, any recommendations?
The fishing can be very hit & miss, there are no lakes as such to fish that I know of (apart from M/D). The Baga river is not bad but I found that you have to get the tide times sorted (wherever you decide to fish) up at Morjim on the approach to the beach is not bad (mainly catfish, with the odd snapper) but be aware of what the Goans class as boat fishing as it is nothing like are boat fishing..if I can help in any way just pm me and I will do my best ...1 more thing we were in Goa in Feb and there was a tackle shop in Holiday St on the left towards the beach...Keith..
Hi All,

I'm going to Goa (Colva) for the first time in a couple of weeks and am looking for some general advice on fishing please e.g. where, when, who (contacts), bait, tackle etc......

Happy to go out on boats, or fish from shore, rivers etc.

Any help, info, experiences would be gratfully received. I am an experienced angler so familiar with the technical jargon!

Many Thanks
Steve.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.