Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Hi Nicolebride I am sure you will enjoy Albena once again. There has been quite a lot of building work since you last visited but the beach is still as good. Baldur and Tonyt are the 'experts' on Albena and the surrounding areas and will probably be able to give you more details. I will not be in Bulgaria until 5th August so will not be able to update you before your visit but am sure plenty of people will be able to do so. Nels.
Hi Nicolebride,

Tonyt is the expert on Albena - I just visit on very occasional trips (usually of no more than an hour ot two) when I'm in Bulgaria, as I'm no lover of the large resorts.

Tony's posts in this thread show some of the changes which had taken place up to last May. From my own conversations with local people and concessionaires, many of the bars & restaurants appear to have been severely hit by Albena AD's decision to make virtually all of the hotels there 'All-Inclusive'.

From memory, the Bratislava no longer exists, possibly having been absorbed into the revamped Flamingo complex?

As far as I can recall, Tony is in Albena in late May/early June again this year, so will doubtlessly be posting the latest updates before you go.

Baldur
Hello again

I must admit I hope I am doing the right thing gong back to Albena. I was really looking forward to taking my grandson as we have talked about the holidays we have had there and how good they were. Hearing about closures etc and most places being all inclusive it makes me wonder if I have made a mistake. I saw Tonyt there 5 years ago at the Bratislava. He had some young people with him. I really hope that someone can put my mind at ease. Is there still the stalls that take the old fashioned photos? Do most of the bars that are left still put on any entertainment? I am looking forward to going back but am also nervous as to what to expect.

Nicole
Hi Nicole,
Is there still the stalls that take the old fashioned photos?

Those photo stalls, painters, hair beading, etc., were certainly there last year - this year, who knows until the first holidaymakers go there?

See Tony's post, dated 20th January 2009, in this thread for more info on restaurants, etc.

Baldur
Hi nicole, I will answer your query tomorrow night, just had a hectic trip to Spain and Back, at Gatwick yesterday, up at 5.00 this morning been to Belgium and back, shattered. Tonyt.
Nicole, Hello again, if you do as Baldur has suggested, read my previous posts ref Albena, All the favourite Brit meeting places have gone. Yes Baldur you are correct the "Flamingo Hotel" now stands on the grounds of the Bratislava and Pravda Hotels. Nicole you were thinking of the "Tropical Bar", the Bratislava went and so did that. So many changes, if you log onto the Albena website, you will see for yourself that some hotels will only be open for 11 weeks.
Hi Tony,
Yes Baldur you are correct the "Flamingo Hotel" now stands on the grounds of the Bratislava and Pravda Hotels.

Thanks for the confirmation, my only recollection of that area from 2007 was sitting opposite there to access Albena's very expensive 'WiFi Zone' connection and seeing the protective sheeting hanging all over the front of the building while building work was being carried out - I didn't even bother looking during my few very brief visits in 2008.

Using the very reasonably-priced internet club in Dobrich to access my e-mails, Skype and the web made the Albena WiFi Zone redundant last year.

Baldur
Good Morning, Anybody going to Albena, please check your Hotel's opening and closing dates, as many of you know I have been battling with Balkan Holidays for over a Month now, because I had information that my selected Hotel would not be open till mid June, at last Balkan have put their hands in the Sky and I have been upgraded to Dobrujha Hotel at no extra cost. I stayed there last year and was well happy. all the Hotels can be found on http://www.albena.bg just click on hotels and then opening and closing dates. :tup :tup :tup :cheers :cheers
Glad to hear that you've had a good result again, Tony!

I had a few good views of the upper storeys of the Dobrudzha earlier this month, when travelling on the Varna/Albena road past the 'English Isolation Hospital'.... ;)

Baldur
Well done Tony ......are all holiday companies as deceitful as Balkan I have had trouble with them every year bar on since 2000........ :(
I too have had a few "run ins" with Balkan over the years. I was SO impressed when we first started travelling with them but
nothing surprises me now. However, I do think that they still have the best choice of hotels and would have no hesitation going back (favourite resort Golden Sands) if they could offer more flights to Varna.
morh wrote:
I too have had a few "run ins" with Balkan over the years. I was SO impressed when we first started travelling with them but
nothing surprises me now. However, I do think that they still have the best choice of hotels and would have no hesitation going back (favourite resort Golden Sands) if they could offer more flights to Varna.

I live in Kilmarnock Scotland & have to travel to Newcastle to get a flight to Varna ....first year we went from Prestwick
We are in Edinburgh and would have to travel to Newcastle. That in itself might not be too bad but its just their reputation for taking flights off and changing flight times by quite a few hours after all your plans have been made. One of the things I liked was the low flights supplements Balkan charged!
Yes low supplements are good.

Our local radio station West sound were advertising beat the low euro flights direct from prestwick to Bulgaria & Turkey ....it's still doing the add but only to Turkey .....I wonder why ......the first thing I did on hearing the add was go onto both Varna & Burgas airport sites & check the incoming flights guess what no Prestwick flights.

I remember Edinburgh used to have flights to Varna I guess these have stopped as well :(
Good Morning, It is not only Balkan Holidays messing with flights, one Irish Company has changed their flights from a Monday to a Friday, not very good if you have a DIY holiday arranged. Balkan have also stopped their flights from Gatwick to Varna, but I now have the advantage of flying Mon,Wed,Fri to Varna with Bulgarian Air (National Airline) Balkan have a 30% reservation on all flights. that still dont equate to a full plane once a week. I do not blame Balkan wholly for the Hotel business, I believe it is lack of info between the Albena management and Holiday Companies, even my rep did not have the info, I was able to supply him.
We have been lucky so far with Balkans only twice have had delays with them. WE stay in the Borders and either Edinburgh or Newcastle was fine ,but the supplement from Edinburgh was always much more than Newcastle .Also was no good when they changed flights to a Monday from Edinburgh. So have been using Newcastle Airport for years now June : :fly
I must say with Balkan we have never had any serious delays, maybe 20 mins to half an hour.

I really would like to have a longer stay in Albena cos we loved the resort when we visited on a couple of day visits from Golden Sands. If my memory serves me right the first time we went a driver volunteered to take us, be a guide, left us to spend the whole day there and bring us back. For 4 of us I think he asked for under £10.

We saw him in the afternoon sleeping in his car in a car park.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.