Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
For up to date info Sky News..BBC news on TV or Radio would be your best bet for upto date info..
I've only seen these BBC items so far:

HERE and HERE.

Baldur
Thanks for that. I'd already looked at the various news sites and it appears it's centred around Hanioti and Polychrono, but it was the "and spreading" bit that worried me.

Just wondered if any of the forum members had any direct news.
Forest fires hit northern Greece

Hotels and campsites were evacuated in northern Greece after forest fires raged out of control.

Over 1,000 UK holidaymakers were forced to spend the night on a beach on the Halkidiki peninsula, south of Thessaloniki.

Mytravel has 100 customers in the affected resorts of Hanioti and Peskohori.

A Mytravel spokeswoman said the fires were now getting under control and clients were being let back into their hotels.

Thomas Cook has 428 customers in one of the affected resorts and said it was now in the process of accounting for them all.

First Choice has around 200 clients in the resort of Hanioti.

Thomson said it has a small number of clients in the affected areas but could not confirm numbers at this stage.

The Foreign Office said no British casualties have been reported.

Teams from the Embassy in Athens and from London are on the way to the area.

Worried relatives should call 020 7008 1500

With permission from Travelmole
Hotels re-open after fires in Halkidiki

Most holiday makers who were evacuated due to forest fires in Halkidiki have now been allowed to return to their hotels, or have been found alternative accommodation.

Members of the Federation of Tour Operators have around 1,500 customers in and around the peninsula affected by the fires. Thomson alone has 1,000 customers in the resorts and Thomas Cook has 428.

The FTO said its members are working together to help ensure the safety and comfort of their customers.

"As a precautionary measure the local authorities evacuated some customers and local people from their accommodations. Tour operators are also working closely with the relevant local authorities and will ensure that customers are returned to their accommodation when it is safe to do so," it said in a statement.

"Many of the customers who have been affected have already been safely returned to their accommodation with many others being provided with alternate accommodation.

"FTO members are currently assessing the infrastructure of the resorts affected by the forest fires and will, where appropriate, contact any customers due to travel to Halkidiki if it is necessary to make changes to their holidays arrangements."

It added that normal booking conditions apply.

With permission from Travelmole
Just saw a family on the news that were forced to come home after just 4 days of their holiday. They were originaly told that they would be moved to a different resort, but then the TO changed their minds.

I hope that everything will settle down soon so all you holidaymakers that have booked to go here will have a great time.
We returned from our first holiday in Halkidiki 3 weeks ago,we were so impressed with the lovely green landscape,its so sad to think of the destruction,especially as they think it was arson.We stayed at the Daphne,which I understand escaped any damage,but to all the people affected we wish you well,good luck with the clean up and no way will this stop us from returning to your beautiful peninsular.DL
Such a shame isn't it? We had a lovely holiday based in Polychrono 2 years ago.
Thankfully it seems all the tourists are OK.
I hope the local people and businesses aren't affected too much.
It is a shame. We had a few early mornings hiking on the hillsides. Beautiful surroundings and some lovely flowers.
Hi

Here's a link to E-kathimerini news..

News story on the fires

And some further reading on following links at the bottom of the page..

Also.. .. ...

quote removed breach of copywrite please post link.......wizard

Paul..
my brother and his family travelled to hanioti on sun 20th , they were among the holidaymakers who had to spend a night on the beach after being evacuated from 2 different hotels ,
He said that everywhere iwas covered in black ash and soot , the skys were completly black with ash and smoke.
However they were nt moved back into their hotel but were also flown home on wed, only 4 days of their hol, they have been promised a full refund from the travel agent .
they are now desperatly trying to get a late deal somewhere for next week so their time off work is not completly wasted,although they are extremly disappointed after looking forward to this holiday for a year, they are away from any danger which of course is the main thing .
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.