Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Hi again David, I just phoned Manchester airport and spoke to a really nice lady :D she said I can take my weeks supply of caths and controlled meds with me in hand luggage BUT she stressed these items must be accompanied by a prescrirtion or doctors letter, so all is well I hope :lol:

thanks
chazy
Hi Chazy ... that's great. Hopefully the same would apply on the homeward journey. You will find contact details for Lanzarote Airport HERE. I have no idea how efficient they may be at responding, it may perhaps be easier to investigate once you are in Lanzarote. The main thing is that you are aware before the day of travel, in case it is your responsibility to seek out a pharmacist before proceeding through security checks.

I am assuming that these are items which you can't, or would prefer not, to place in hold luggage as that would obviously overcome these difficulties. Any medication in tablet form is not so much of a concern, it is primarily liquids which need authenticated.

Just one further point regarding the doctor's letter or prescription. Not sure about Manchester, but some airports require that these letters are dated within 7 days of travel.

David :wave
Hi David and thanks again. Yes my meds are controlled drugs {Oxycontin and Morphine} I really don't want these straying into the wrong hands and what a problem I would have trying to get them prescribed abroad should I loose them :x I would prefare to keep them with me at all times and as for the caths, I need them to do what most folks do without even thinking about it :lol: I would be in dire straights without them :lol:

thanks
Chazy
Hi Chazy .. I was thinking more of the homeward journey, if Lanzarote is perhaps more strict than Manchester, but I can appreciate your concerns about them being lost or falling into the wrong hands.

Would they let the baby taste it instead as surely no-one would give their baby a drink that contained anything other than milk. Karen
Hi Karen ... the security threat last August which brought about these new regulations involved use of baby food, hence the current requirement for the accompanying adult to taste the liquid. The parents involved in this case may need to speak to airport security in advance. There may be means of authentication without tasting. Alternatively, they could perhaps just organise the baby's feed in one of the airside shops or restaurants after they have passed through security.

Sorry David I think you missunderstood what I was trying to say. I know about the new regulations but was merely suggesting that if the parents cannot taste it, then why not the baby, and it was something they could enquire about.
Hi Karen ... without going into details of the previous threat, those who would have been carrying the child would have had little regard for its life. Under current regulations, those same people may be quite willing to allow the baby to taste a liquid in order to ease their passage through security checks, but they may be unwilling to taste it themselves.

For that reason, authentication should be by the accompanying adult.

This security is fascinating & I would say a lot of rubbish Imagine searching air crew including pilots if a pilot wants to crash a plane he has no need for explosive he's the driver

Also on a recent flight I had liquid make up in my hand luggage while husband had liquid deoderant neither detected !!

Liquid make up was an oversight deoderant was known about but interested to see if it would be picked up

Mind you husband carried a 4inch screwdriver in his hand luggage for 3 years before discovering it when he got new hand luggage

To be efficient screen operators would need to change every 15/20 minutes as concentration falls rapidly after this time
There's no "imagine" searching air crew and pilots, they are searched like all other staff at airports, in fact staff are subject to the same searches as passengers, they also have to pass police criminal checks and counter terrorism checks to gain their staff id. passes, we can all rest assured that pilots don't want to crash their planes and i'm sure they want all people travelling on their plane who they have responsibility for to be subjected to stringent security checks.

Some of the security checks might seem a bit pedantic, but they are based and instigated by the DfT on what they percieve as threats or loopholes that could be exploited, they then have to balance this against, on allowing us a reasonable level of freedom in moving around and being able to carry personal items which we need during our travels.

Personally i don't think that our security procedures are too lax in general and neither are they too restrictive, of course the odd item here or there can be missed like a deoderant but then when security personnel are checking thousands of passengers constantly and having to re-check scanned bags for prohibited items and endure the same blah-blah-blah comments they might make a mistake, perhaps some of the onus should also be put on passengers making sure they double check their hand luggage for prohibited items, this would make security checking more efficient and effective which benefits everyone.

Also most security crews do rotate every 20 mins to a different task of the total process , its not just the screening thats important.
I have looked at the dimensions for hand luggage and to be honest they are pretty big. I don't think I have ever taken a bag that big onto an aircraft! It is more like a medium sized suitcase. I have measured my rucksack and it falls well within the dimensions.
HiDeHi .. bear in mind that this topic shows the 'maximum' dimensions permitted. Some individual airlines and airports impose slightly lower limits, and it is important that you check their websites too.

Hi..Could anyone tell me if i need a letter to confirm that my inhailers for myself and my daughter are legit?...i asked the receptionist at my local doctors and she said no....but im not sure if she is correct..be great if anyones knows?? :shock:
Hi Dee ... you may be best checking with the relevant airport. But generally, essential medication including inhalers are allowed in the plastic bag which you would carry with your hand luggage, provided they are accompanied by either a prescription or a doctor's letter. Spare canisters should be placed in hold luggage.

do tablets have to be put in the clear bag eg the pill or asprin etc or can they go in your bag
Hi shigham ... essential medication in tablet form can be carried in hand luggage, but does not require to be packed in the clear plastic bag.

i am flying out next monday 16/4 to jamaica fom manchester, are you allowed to take a medication which is a gel form in your hand luggage.? i also have tablet forms and my husband has blood monitor and blood taking sticks and pen. and prick sticks for diabetes, would these be allowed in hand luggage? or classed as sharps? between us we have around 15 packets of different medications, would i have to take our presciptions to proove these are all needed, :roll: Help!!!
Hi GREATOREX ... essential medications in liquid or gel form are allowed in hand luggage, along with essential medical equipment. Medicines should be in containers not exceeding 100mls which should be placed in your resealable and transparent plastic bag. If your medication is in containers in excess of 100mls, you should contact the airport for prior approval and verification of their procedures. Essential medication in tablet form should also be carried in hand luggage, but not in the 'liquids' plastic bag.

A copy of the prescription should also be taken, not just to assist with identification of the medications at security checks, but also to assist you to obtain replacements in the event of loss or damage whilst on holiday.

For further details, please click on the link in my signature below, which will take you directly to the post in this thread which outlines current restrictions.

thank you david for your help
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.