Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
I have been told you are not allowed to take vaseline (in the little tin) or any kind of lip balm through

Vaseline and lip balms are "pastes" and are classed as liquids. As long as the container and contents are less than 100ml they can go in your hand luggage in a plastic bag which must be presented seperately at security.
Hand baggage restrictions 'to be lifted'

Rules limiting air passengers to a single piece of hand luggage may be lifted - but not until after the summer peak travel period.

Aviation minister Jim Fitzpatrick is quoted by the Financial Times as saying that security rules imposed at UK airports following last summer's terrorism alert could be soon relaxed. It is thought this could be by November.

Passengers are likely to be able to take two pieces of hand luggage onto aircraft, although a ban on carrying liquids will remain, the FT reported.

The minister reportedly said prior to a tour of Heathrow tomorrow (Thursday) to discuss the airport's delays: "If they can get the throughput without reducing the levels of safety and security, then we'll lift the one-bag rule without any problem, providing we're convinced and they're convinced."

With permission from Travelmole
Single bag rule change must not harm security

The relaxation of rules limiting airline passengers to one piece of carry on luggage will only be lifted if the change does not harm security.

That is the message the Guild of Travel Management Companies said it has been given by the Department for Transport.

Aviation minister Jim Fitzpatrick earlier this week indicated that the single bag restriction could be lifted by November (see previous TravelMole story).

The body representing UK business travel agencies welcomed DoT suggestions that airports operator BAA is trailing new security systems. If successful this will mean the introduction of a two bag carry-on limit per person.

A GTMC statement said: "Lobbying began in June this year, and recent communication between the guild and the Department for Transport outlines that although the Government is open-minded on this subject the relaxation in baggage restrictions will only come if the industry can demonstrate that the change would not harm security."

With permission from Travelmole
My friend is wanting to take a sporty head bagas her hand luggage ! Is this too big ? Does the hand luggage have to fit the premeasured device ?
Hi chani ... the maximum permitted dimensions for hand luggage at EU airports are shown on page 1 of this topic. However, some airlines and airports may impose size restrictions lower than those permitted under current EU regulations. It is therefore important to check individual airline and airport websites for details of any size and weight restrictions.

David :wave
Thanks for the info i have told her when i went last time you had to slot your bag in to a perspex mould but it isnt sinking in !!!
Chani, if the sports bag fits in the gauge of the airline you're flying with then the answer will be yes. i have one of the Head holdalls which measures 46x26x23 cms. The 23cms is the height. Ryanair rules are 50x40x20cms, however my bag wasn't full to the top so fitted both the gauge that Stansted airport had under the thing weith plastic bags and Ryanairs. I wasn't asked by check in or security staff to put it in the gauge.

A revious post has suggested that there may be a relaxation of the 1 bag per passenger rule which for me will be good news as it'll mean I'll be able to put things that i don't need/want inflight into backpack which'll be put in overhead locker and use smaller handbag for things wanted inflight.
I flew from Gatwick on 30th July and we had to place our hand luggage in the measuring device.

Pippy :D
Chani bag size hope that works. Your friend also needs to check what dimensions the airline she's using will allow, some allow considerably smaller bags than the maximum 50x40x20 which Stansted allow. The smallest I've seen is 45x35x18.
Cate, why would you want to take a back-pack of things you don't need or want inflight and put them in the overhead locker?? and take a small bag with things you do want inflight.

The idea of lifting the 1 bag restriction is that it does not impact on safety or security, and while the contents of your back-pack are not a security issue they will need to be x-rayed and might need to be randomly checked this will take time that security could better spend elsewhere.
there are many moans and groans about airport queues by the media and they aren't going to get any better if they have to check back-packs or bags full of stuff that no-one is going to need or use on the flight.

The main and legitimate reason for changing the 1 bag rule is that only the UK operate it and it cause many problems when passengers are going through transit, i.e New York to Heathrow and then onto another UK/European airport via flight connections , this cause conflict and difficulty for security and the airlines by having to get extra bags checked into the hold.
Thanks everyone for your advice i have gave up giving advice and just hopes it fits when she packs it !! :shock:
Hi,

Parents are off to Kos on Wednesday. Can you please let me know if my dad will be able to have his camcorder bag as well as his hand lugguage. Any other info about what we can take in hand lugguage would be appreciated.

Thanks, Donna 8)
bag
Won't it fit inside this other piece of hand luggage?

We go on Wednesday too - on the Thomas Cook flight from Glasgow (although it's a First Choice holiday).
Hi Donna,
I believe it is 1 piece of hand luggage per pseron so it is a cam corder bag OR another piece of hand luggage (can he put the camcorder bag in his other bag?)
As long as you are careful with the size of liquids you have - I personally put as much as I could into the hold baggage.
We were flying TC but I am sure every airline has the same hand baggage rules.
Hope this helps.
Irene
One piece of hand luggage only - so the camcorder must be either the only piece of hand luggage or it must go in the hand luggage bag.

For full clarification of what you can and can't take through security look at the airport/airline web sites.

Pippa[/b]
Can you only have 1 clear bag?
Can you only have 1 clear bag?

Yes, only one single, transparent, re-sealable plastic bag, which must not exceed 1 litre in capacity.

David :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.