Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Good news, I wondered if you had got it sorted out.
Thanks david, will check Dublin Airports website and then Aer Lingus's to see what they allow. If I can't find answer on DUB's website, I'll email them or phone and ask.
I went through Dublin airport on Sunday and their regulations are exactly the same as for UK airports - one piece of hand baggage, and liquids etc in less than 100ml containers in a plastic closeable bag (handed out free before security).

They were very vigilant - the fellow ahead of me had an aerosol confiscated because it was more than 100 ml - and loads of people had to take off their belts and shoes ................
Thanks Alsacienne. I've also checked websites for both Dublin Airport and Aer Lingus. DUB's website says passenegrs are advised to carry one piece of hand luggage and Aer Lingus says that it's 1 piece of hand luggage but small items such as cameras, personal stereos, overcoats and handbags are allowed. What I may do is suggest to DH that he takes his back pack and the camcorder and we'll ask airport staff if both are allowed. if not then backpack will go in the hold and he'll jsut take camcorder and MP3 player.

Hubby has given me an ipod Classic for my birthday, if it's in the pocket of my coat and the coat goes through the scanner, what is the likelihood of me ipod being given extra screening and if so is there ANY chance that the thing they use to test for explosives will wipe or damage the ipod in any way. I've heard of people finding their laptop hard drives ahve failed after they've been through security. I know the x ray machint itself is ok but not sure about any of the tests they do if item is selected for additoinal screening. Apple ibook was ok after the tests a few yaers ago but I guess the tests have got more advanced since our ibook had the explosive test done on it.
Hi cate ... I think (or at least I hope) you are worrying unnecessarily. Many thousands of electrical items pass through security scanners at UK & Irish airports each day, without any damage occurring to them.

Closer screening often means just removing a particular item from a bag or pocket, where other items might have been obstructing the view. It then undergoes the same x-ray scanning as it would have done had it remained in the pocket or bag, perhaps followed by a manual check.

Just bear in mind that the baggage rules which you are currently reading on the Aer Lingus and Dublin Airport websites may not be applicable next February, and so you would have to check again nearer the time.

David :wave
From the BA website:-

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/flightops/public/en_gb?p_faqid=2355

Isn't this going to be avery confusing for travellers possibly leading to even longer queues at check in and security.

Why can't it be the same for all airports?

Pippa
  • Edited by David 2008-01-02 22:28:13
    Post edited for copyright reasons, weblink inserted to replace quoted text ... David HT Mod
Hi Pippa ... yes it is going to be confusing, because some airlines are already announcing that their baggage restrictions are to be relaxed, whilst some of the airports which they fly to are sticking to the existing restrictions.

BMI say they will allow two pieces of hand luggage, while Easyjet say they will maintain the existing one bag rule. But it's both pointless and confusing for some airlines to say that two bags will be allowed, if the airport concerned will only allow one bag through security checks.

Airports have to apply to the DfT for permission to remove the one-bag restriction, but they have to prove first that they have the necessary scanning equipment and staffing levels in place to deal with checks on the extra baggage. Some airports may still be waiting for the instalation of new scanners before they can apply for permission, others may have decided not to bother with new equipment and just maintain the one-bag rule. It will make things difficult for passengers, as they could well be flying out from an airport which will allow two pieces of hand luggage, but returning from an airport which only allows one piece. Passengers will need to check the baggage policy of each airport and airline that they are using.

There are a few more days before any changes come into effect, hopefully the position may become clearer during that time.

Passengers urged to double check airline baggage policies

Passengers are being urged to double-check airline baggage policies before travelling to BAA airports once new government baggage rules come into effect on Monday.

The one carry on bag restriction will be lifted at six of BAA's seven UK airports, with Gatwick following in "early 2008".

But a number of airlines will continue to restrict the number of bags which can be carried in to the cabin, the airports operator said.

British Airways said passengers flying through and out of Heathrow will be able to take two pieces of free hand baggage on board from January 7 but the one bag limit is remains in place at Gatwick.

BA commercial director Robert Boyle said: "This is great news for our customers at Heathrow and it's something we've been lobbying for over the last year.

"It was a serious inconvenience for passengers and didn't make sense because the UK was the only country to impose the restrictions.

"Now we want to see the restrictions lifted at Gatwick in line with other major UK airports as quickly as possible.

"We are working closely with the BAA and the DfT towards lifting the one-bag restriction as soon as possibly."

A BAA spokesman said: "We will be helping to advertise the changes in government baggage restrictions at our airports, but it is important that passengers check with their airline before travelling as carriers have different policies governing the number of items of hand baggage which may be taken in to the aircraft cabin.

"To help passengers further, we will also be asking airlines to ensure that passengers clearly understand airline baggage policies at the check-in points, before they pass through security."

Significant engineering works are underway at Gatwick, which will allow the restriction to be lifted in the "near future".

As part of a phased approach, from January 7, passengers on connecting flights through Gatwick's South Terminal will be able to travel with more than one piece of hand baggage if their airline allows. This will also apply for passengers on connecting flights only via the North Terminal from February 11, BAA said.

With permission from Travelmole
Hopefully the airlines will update their websites immediately (If they are customer friendly) otherwise people will turn up at the airport being refused the hold baggage when they check in. But also saying that how many people will check the airline websites if they have booked well in advance , then blame the airline if they get refused their baggage. Just a thought. Cheers Jayjan
Hi Jayjan .. it is even more important now than ever that passengers check the websites of all the airlines and airports involved in an itinerary.

One airline or airport may allow two bags, while another may only allow one.

Someone flying from Glasgow to Gatwick for example may be permitted two bags under airport regulations, but only one bag under airline regulations.

But returning from Gatwick to Glasgow they may be allowed two bags by the arline and only one by the airport.

I fear that the situation is about to become more confusing for passengers than it ever was. Some will travel outward with hand baggage only, but may be forced to check some of it in and pay for it as hold luggage on the return journey.

REMINDER ... NEW (AND CONFUSING) HAND BAGGAGE RULES NOW IN OPERATION

The Department for Transport has approved new security arrangements at a number of UK airports, effective from today, Monday 7 January 2008.

Certain airports have now been granted approval to allow two pieces of hand luggage per passenger, instead of just one. However, some airlines operating out of those airports have decided not to adopt the new policy, and are sticking with the previous one-bag rule.

Other airports have not received approval from the DfT to allow two pieces of hand luggage, either because they have chosen not to apply for permission, or because they do not yet have the necessary screening equipment and staffing levels in place to cope with security checks on additional baggage.

We now have an even more confusing situation than we had before, meaning that it is more vital than ever that passengers check the hand luggage policy of all the airports and airlines involved in their travel itineraries.

Don't assume because your departure airport may now allow two pieces of hand luggage, that your airline will be operating the same policy.

Don't assume because both your airline and departure airport allow two pieces of hand luggage, that your homeward airport will be operating the same policy.

It is important that you check the policies of all airlines and airports concerned, or you may find that some of your hand luggage has to be checked in as hold luggage. In addition to any hold baggage fees which might have to be paid at the airport, you need to consider also the potential risk to fragile or valuable items such as camcorder equipment, jewellery, etc if you had been expecting to carry them all on board, split between two pieces of hand luggage.

Check those baggage rules before packing or travelling !!!

Flying DUB-FAO on 6th February. Aer Lingus say one piece hand luggage per passenger but small items eg camera, personal stereo, coats (would any airline count an outdoor coat as hand luggage?) or ladies handbag. Airport's website doesn't give any information so would I get away with backpack 45x35x15cms and ladies handbag 25x16x8cms or am I pushing it. When I flew DUB-STN just after they started allowing liquids, I got away with sports bag and small handbag (only big enough for purse, MP3 player and acouple of other small items). Airport security and Ryanair allowed it. On return I had to put smaller bag inside larger one for going through security but removed it afterwards and Ryanair didn't say anything.
Cate ... Aer Lingus may be allowing one small additional piece of hand luggage, but you may have to verify their definition of 'small' in relation to the size of your handbag. Bear in mind too that you will have to check the baggage policy of both airports, not just Dublin.

Placing a smaller bag inside the larger one is perfectly acceptable, providing that you do not exceed the maximum weight or dimensions stiplulated by the airline or airports.

Thanks David. I'll email the airline and see what they say. AS for Faro airport, I can check when we arrive. Parents plane is due 1hr after ours. We're having a week out there with them, they're staying for 2 weeks.
A bit of advise please

Can I take my Nintendo Wii through as hand luggage? We are off to Spain soon and want to take the Wii to entertain the boys and are travelling hand luggage.

will give the wife and I some peace

Thanks
If it will fit inside your handluggage there will be no problem.
I appreciate this may have been asked before but how does the liquid policy in hand luggage work when you have connecting flights. Next week I am flying to Singapore from Manchester with an aircraft change in Dubai. If I buy such as sun lotions, perfumes etc in Manchester duty free how does this work in Dubai when I get on another aircraft - will it still be okay to carry them on. Logically I think it will as I assume I remain airside in Dubai for the connecting flight but I just wanted to be sure.

Would I also be right in thinking my partner can take one piece of hand luggage and her handbag on the Emirates flights that depart from Manchester and Dubai.

Thanks for any help.
beegee,

It is airport specific but I can tell you what happens when transitting through european airports. When you purchase liquids in Manchester, they will be placed in a sealed duty free bag. As long as the seals aren't broken, when transitting through other airports, they bags will be allowed through. Keep the receipt handy just in case. If the bag has been opened, the contents will be treated the same as any other baggage and restrictons apply.

When travelling with Emirates, you can take up to one piece of hand luggage of 7kg (dimensions 22x15x8 ins / 55x38x20 cm). The handbag may need to be placed inside the main hand luggage. In addition, you can take a 'reasonable quantity' of duty free in seperate bags.

Darren
We transitted through Manchester from Vegas on the way back to Aberdeen a couple of months after the liquid rule came into force.

We had bought a bottle of vodka at McCarran duty free, which was still in its sealed bag, but it was confiscated at Manchester when we went through security for the Aberdeen flight.

I did want to argue with them that it had been bought in a secure area and should be allowed, but was tired after a 10 hour flight and there's not much point in starting an argument you have no chance of winning so gave in. Still think they were wrong mind.

luci :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.