Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Providing that the bag or carrier does not exceed the maximum hand luggage weight and dimensions permitted by Qantas and your airport, then a wedding dress may be taken on board. Some airlines make special provision for wedding dresses, with cabin staff taking and hanging them during a flight, rather than having them crushed into an overhead locker. However, limited storage space and increased security measures now make this more difficult for some airlines. It would be worth speaking to Qantas to see what (if anything) they can do for you.

David :wave
Thank you for your fast response. We are taking a number of flights with Qantas (9) throughout our holiday, but I am most concerned with the outward flight from the UK as the wedding is in the first part of the holiday. I dread to think if I put it in the hold and it didn't make the changeover of planes at Singapore.
My son got married in Cyprus and the dress was hung up whilst on board the aircraft. The hotel they were staying in stored the dress until the night before the wedding so that my son did not see it. He stayed in my Daughters villa on the pre wedding night.
When she bought her dress there were dresses which were intended for weddings abroad and lighter than many dresses.

Good luck have a wonderful day and life together.

Sue
Flying Ryanair on Wednesday for a day trip.

Can I put some muffins or croissants in the hand luggage that we can have with a coffee?

Pippa
Im still confused as what i can actually take in my hand luggage....im putting some clothes in it as well as a pr of sandles..Are you still allowed to take medication in hand luggage??.. what about wet wipes~? do you have to buy water after check-in or can you take your own? i usually put some squash in mine..and being a diabetic can you now take your own sweets?....the rules keep changing and im totally confused,not flown for 18months..thanx
Hi hevleigh ... current hand luggage restrictions, which apply primarily to liquids, are outlined on page 1 of this topic.

The only thing which has changed recently is that some airports and airlines now allow two pieces of hand luggage, whilst others still only allow one.

David :wave
i have just purchased a new flight bag size is 48cmx21x30cm it matches my case it is within British Airways size required but i have been reading the forum today we are going on a Thomas Cook flight
and there size is smaller . We flew with Thomas Cook 3 weeks ago and saw larger hand luggagegoing on board so now what do i do risk it for the sake of a few center meters ?.
Hi ell20, I'm flying with Thomas Cook very soon and I'm also interested in comments on their hand luggage regulations - according to their website the max size of hand luggage they allow is 43x28x23cm - which is quite a bit smaller than your bag which measures 48x21x30cm.
However, you say you flew with Thomas Cook 3 weeks ago and saw larger hand luggage - I wonder if it's worth risking it? My hubby thinks so - we have two trolly cases 56x45x25cm (BAA max size for hand luggage) which he thinks we should take and if they challenge us we will say "well, what about the 20kg hold luggage you're saving with us????"
I dunno - I'm fed up with all of this and wish the rule was the same for every airport, every airline etc etc.
Hi Retsina
Thank you for the reply we are flying from Manchester i have just been on there site check the hand luggage the International Air Transport Ass stated that the size is 56cmx45x25. Well tough for Thomas Cook bad enough paying for 20kg hold luggage.I have decided to risk it give a smile to the check in
person .Cheers (Turkey 5 weeks tomorrow).
The IATA regulations are not binding on airlines, in that they can and do often impose smaller size limits - often on the basis of the type of aircraft they use or their anticipated passenger loading. For example, I doubt that the overhead lockers on the relatively small planes used for internal flights in the Highlands and Islands up here in Scotland could accommodate cases as large as 56x45x25 and I know from experience that a case that size wouldn't fit under the seat in front of me and elave room for my feet. Yes, I do sometimes chance it and get away with it because the planes are rarely full - it can always go under the seat in front of the empty seat next to me.

But I would never chance it on a full charter flight, even on a bigger plane because even if it would technically fit in the locker, there wouldn't necessarily be room for it what with everybody elses' hand luggage - if we all tried to take on a 56x45x25 bag with us their simply wouldn't be the room for them all on a full plane. And personally, I find it extremely irritating when I comply with rules to end up with my bag crammed in under the seat and then having to sit cramped up for the whole journey because others have a taken a liberty and bagged all the overhead locker space with bags that clearly exceed the permitted size for that airline.

And I'd never want to run the risk of the cabin crew doing what I saw BA staff doing on one trip. The flight was full and it had clearly been announced at check-in and at the gate that baggage space in the cabin would be limited as a result and that pasengers should check-in as much baggage as possible. Needless to say some people ignored this and the cabin crew then scrupulously checked the size of EVERY bag being brought on board and refused boarding to anyone whose luggage didn't fully comply unless they handed their bags over for placing in the hold. My last sight as I boarded the plane was this growing heap of cases on the runway - I never saw if they did get loaded but judging by the way some people were still hanging around the luggage carousel at the other end when it was clear that most baggage had been collected I wouldn't have been surprised to learn that some of it was left behind so that the plane didn't lose its take-off slot.

You might get away with it ell20 but be prepared for the fact that you mightn't - Thomas Cook will be perfectly within their rights to refuse to allow you to board with hand luggage that exceeds their permitted maximum. What is your Plan B if challenged at either check-in or at the door to the plane?

SM
Thank you SMa Well for plan B dont know rearly i could take a plastic bag and put my stuff in it
this will be the first time that i have matching luggage. As i said before 3 weeks ago we flew with Thomas cook first they did not weight the hand luggage second they just how many cases where
checking in .Thank you for the reply.
I'm flying from Gatwick with Ryanair in August but only taking hand luggage.

I have a bit of a dilemma though.
I want to wear a couple of badges (I'm going to a gig in Dublin) but am not sure if I'll be allowed to wear them or put them in my hand luggage due to them being sharp objects. Am I right?

Thanks.

Pippy :)
Since our last holiday abroad in 2006, I've been told there are a lot more restrictions as to what you can carry onto the plane with you and am hoping for some advice please.

I've been told you can't even carry a lipstick with you - is that true??? - surely not?
Are you allowed to carry a lighter? -if not, are safety matches ok?
Can my son take coloring pencils/felt tips?

This may sound odd to some, but I don't want to get embarassed at passport control!

Many Thanks
Helen x
I used to use Ryannair quite a bit between Aberdeen and Liverpool for quick weekend trips to see my parents so I only ever took handluggage and didn't bother checking in a bag. The last time I did it I realised at the last minute after checking in that I'd got a sterling silver brooch/pin in the lapel of my jacket. Luckily I had plenty of time so decided that I'd just chance it and if challenged at security, would go and post it home to myself - I reckoned I'd find someone on a desk somewhere who'd give me an envelope and had stamps in my purse and plenty of tissues I could pad it with! So I left it where it was, put the jacket in a tray and wasn't challenged at either Aberdeen or Liverpool on the return journey. As I boarded the plane one of the cabin crew spotted it and complimented me on it - it's quite distinctive and large - but made no further comment!

So my suggestion would be to take the chance and just leave them pinned to your jacket/coat but take a small padded, self-addressed envelope with you and leave yourself enough time to find a postbox - there's bound to be one somewhere in the terminal - just in case they do challenge you. Oh, and if you get away with it on the journey out, remember to change the stamps for the return journey from Dublin!

SM
Ah, great idea about the envelope! Thank you!

I'll do that, may only take one of the two badges and wear it on my jacket then see if I'm allowed to keep it.

Pippy :)
It's not at passport control but security.

Because of the foiled attempt at carrying liquid bombs onboard a plane there were instant mass restrictions on carrying liquids through.

You can carry liquids (your lighter) under 100ml in your hand luggage but you must have any liquid items in a clear plastic bag for inspection. Best including any make up such as mascara in this. Don't worry, it's not as bad as it sounds, it's just that when you know in advance you can reduce the amount of stuff you might normally have carried rather than packing in your case. The only thing I needed to put in plastic bag last year was my lighter. I even packed my makeup bag into my case just before I left.
Hi SandC,

Thanks so much for the reply. You've put my mind at ease now :D
I was started to get paranoid thinking my sons colouring pencils would be classed as a sharp object!

Most odd that you have to put your lighter in a plastic bag though - oh well, I'm glad I know.

Cheers
Helen x
As Sandc says this is nothing to do with Passport control, in fact your passport is probably one thing no-one at security will want to see, although they will want to see the boarding card. Most European countries including the UK have dropped outbound passport checks by police or border guards, this is done at check-in and at the gate when they make sure you are getting on the right plane.

Lipstick is classed as a gel and is one of the things on the list introduced in late summer 2006 (so you must have gone just before).
Lighters and matches were always subject to safety controls.
Pencils and felt tips are OK, logically gel pens should be on the 2006 restricted list - but they're not! And you're quite right to spot that in the wrong hands a sharp pencil or even a metal pen could be a dangerous weapon.

The current official list is here. Note this is the legal restriction, where it mentions the maximum number/size/weight of bags allowed your airline may have a lower limit. The restrictions on amounts of liquids and gels do not apply if they are packed in your hold (checked in) luggage except for lighters which can't go in the hold because of the safety rule.

Don't be conned into paying stupid prices (ie more than 50p!) for one of the "special" security bags that some shops are now selling - a resealable freezer bag or A5 document wallet is OK.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.