Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
just returned from marmaris,we had a fantastic time,stayed 3 weeks,there is very little hassle now,(i kind of missed it) lots of different restrants were closed 3 days some 15days ,there really clamping down on hassle,it was nice to walk about the bazzer,weather was good a few days overcast but still warm i cant wait for sept
Hi all

I returned from Marmaris on Monday and have to say our friends there as well as many other locals are worried :shock: it is not very busy at all, walking down the beach front at night used to be a right nightmare it was so crowded but this year it was almost empty in some parts. There were also one or two bars closed due to hassle, the authorities are really clamping down. It was very nice to stroll through the bazaar and not be pestered I didn't miss the hassle one bit :D

chazy
can anyone tell me if the front guy at baron in icmeler is still working he must be worst hassler in icmeler
Yup same staff are still in the same place.
We returned from Icmeler on Monday and I have to say the hassle was much less.

Diane
I must say we have just returned and the hassle was more of a polite greeting now with no hard sell - we did hear that several bars had been closed in Marmaris for this reason so i think they have got to calm it down, we certainly didnt find anyone too pushy.
dimrie, That was because around 15 Icmeler Bar/Restauraunts were closed down for a 3 day period late May early June.
Just returned from Olu Deniz and the hard sell was noticably less in your face than last year even though the resort was quiet. I realise that Olu is one of the resorts with less hassle anyway but even then i noticed a difference. :)
We stayed in Side for two weeks and the restaurant and shop people are still a bit over the top. Last Thursday we caught the dolmus into Manavgat and went to the market. The market people are still very "in yer face" but the worst part of the market visit was being ripped off in a cafe just on the edge of the market.

Be warned: As we came out of the market there was a cafe on our right with most of the tables decorated in drinks bottles. I didn't note the name of the place but you can spot it by the way all the tables have bottles and fruit on them. One of the waiters almost pushed me in my seat and was quite irritating. It didn't feel right and I should have gone with my instinct and just gone somewhere else but we ordered two fantas. We could see people at various tables falling out with the two guys who worked there over one thing or another. One lady was a bit miffed at (presumably) a high charge to use the toilet.

When we asked for the bill we had a struggle to get the man to speak to us in either English or Turkish. He just went on in German and was quite rude. The price was 3 euro each for a fanta. We had only been paying 1 euro in dance bars or restaurants. What a rip off.

I'm going back next year just to be difficult and to cause a scene. But I won't be buying any more fanta off these charmless robbers.
You get hassle in tenerife which ruins you evening. I started to say I will come in because you have invited me and my family for a free meal. They got know me and stopped the hassle. Maybe worth a try in turkey.
we were ripped off in Icmeler market last month.Our friend went to the small cafe while we finished looking around,when we joined them they had finished their drinks and we ordered 2 orange juices.They were advertised in other places at 3TL.When we came to pay our bill my friend and I both took 10TL out of our purses at the same time and he must have seen this as he charged us 20TL for the 4 drinks!I told him I wouldnt be back and would let others know to avoid them.We were only paying 1€ in Side last year.It was half way up the market on the left and was next door to another cafe but this one was down a slight slope.
I always find that the places you dont get hassled to go to are usually the best. I make a point of not going to the places im being pushed into.
I can recommend China Garden, Somewhere Else and Golden Boys in Kusadasi for this reason as well as being cheap and having staff who can have a laugh with you instead of being annoying!!! (PS. The grubs brilliant as well!!)
im hearing a lot of places are being closed to hassle surely a fine from the local police would be better than closure it will effect staff should hit the owners pocket in a way im going miss hassle
My family and afriends family went to Icmeler 2 years ago as a change from Majorca,Lanzarote etc .By the end of 2 weeks had had enough and couldnt wait to get homeThe hassle and mither got to much and at about half way though our holiday we were walking the long way round to avoid certain restraunts/bars were it was really bad.We said we would never return.However,we have read heard from friends that this has changed dramatically due to government/police stepping in and even closing places down or shutting them as punishment for a number of days.How true is this?If this is the case we would definately consider returning maybe next year as we couldnt fault the weather ,food,and some Turkish lads we befriended in the Wellcome Inn and staff in Babbadan.Any views /peoples experiences if they hsve noticed the difference this year would be appreciated.
Things are much different now since the restaurants and bars have been told they can no longer hassle the tourists . They can no longer stand on the pavement outside their bar / restaurant only inside , and it's policed very strictly , even undercover police and council officials going round with video cameras . A lot of bars and restaurants have been closed down already this year ,, usually for 3 days although if they repeatedly offend it can be 7 days or more . I was in Icmeler last month , and most people were saying how much better it was .
they have shut several bars as punishment and it seems to work for while. When you get hassle just mention police or Zabita and they stop.
Hi just came back from marmaris and the hassle does seem a little better but it still goes on,the bazaar was a nightmare,there was a lot of restaurants /clubs closed down for a few days,which seemed such a shame for them,they must be losing so much money,but if it sais dont hassle then dont do it
paddyirishman,

Very true. Couldn't agree more.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.