Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
Yes, you will see snow up there - in 2003 when I was in Granada in early October the first dusting of snow was visible on the Sierra Nevada. Bear in mind that the ski season usually starts in December and whilst Epiphany (6 January) is the bigger holiday in Spain you can still expect to be paying high season prices in the mountain resorts over the Christmas period.

SM
hi please could you tell me what the road up to the sierra nevanda is like driving up their is their alot of snow on it i am a bit worried about driving in snow. And would you get alot of traffic going up on Christmas day thanks Diane
Hi Diane,

I can't answer your specific questions because I've never been to the area during the ski season but if you go to:

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/resorts/gssg/resort.asp?intContactID=44898&strOrganisationName=Sierra+Nevada

you'll find details of the main resort areas within the Sierra Nevada and a link to a noticeboard with comments and feedback on this ski area. Snow conditions on the roads into the mountains will depend on which town/direction you'll be coming in from and the local weather at the time.

A heavy snowfall on Christmas Eve could make the road in from Granada impassable, yet it could be cleared within hours of the snow stopping and you'd do the drive in good conditions in well under an hour. These things can be unpredictable and you might just have to take the chance and make the decision on the day.

I live on the east coast of Scotland and if anybody asked me whether there would be any problems driving and getting around up here on the 1st of March I'd have said of course not. At the moment the sky is blue and the weather sunny at the moment though the temperature is barely above freezing there's not sign of snow but 2 colleagues who live 20/25 miles further north are snowed in and haven't made it into work today. Nor has anybody who lives in Aberdeen been going anywhere today because a heavy snowfall has blocked the railway track halfway between there and Dundee and it won't be cleared until the snow stops falling and the snowplough loco can be sent in. Nobody can tell you now what the specific driving conditions will be come Christmas - it really does depend on whether there's been a recent fall or not.

SM
I have just returned from a trip to Granada and the Sierra Nevada and have poated a report here along with maps for a scenic alternative route, I have also included a link to a great site with loads of useful about granada and the surrounding area.
BUT remember at this time of the year the road conditions can change VERY quickly and although I had clear dry roads the next day 2 metres of snow fell and chains were essential.
Just to emphasise how quickly conditions can change, three experienced British mountaineers were caught out only this week in 'whiteout' conditions and died of hypothermia within a very short distance of a refuge. You really do need to check out the local conditions with the local weather service and make a decision on the day and be prepared to cancel your trip at short notice if necessary.

SM
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.