General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Holiday on hold.
83 Posts
Sunaholic

Have you not even received the paperwork from your bank yet?

If not I am afraid I would have to get on the phone to them and tell them in no uncertain terms that it is just not good enough - they were quick enough to pay the money out so perhaps they would be good enough to pay it back in with a bit more speed. Drive them mad by phoning every day to see what progress has been made. They'll soon realise they need to speed things up.
Hope you get things sorted soon.

Regards Jackie
Thanks Jackie.

No we have had no paperwork at all. My husband phoned this morning and will be phoning the f r a u d department again when he gets back from work. I agree that this is completely unacceptable, but we just feel powerless really.

Sunaholic.
egg are also really good in these situations. Someone managed to get hold of my credit card details last year when I was actually in Turkey and the card was with me!
They spent over £600 on my card, there were loads of O2 phone top ups and subscriptions to 'adult' internet sites. Still have no idea how they managed to get the info, I presume from the internet somehow. Anyway egg cancelled my card, immediately refunded all the money and I had the relevent forms to sign and a new card within 2 days.
It makes me angry when people get annoyed when we have to phone for authorisation on cards where I work I dont think they realise just how common this kind of f r a u d is.
My partner was a victim of fraud a year ago we only found out when we got our credit reports. The fraudster used wrong dob and wrong spelling of surname but still managed to get 20 grands worth of credit from our previous address must have got his name from junk mail. It took a lot of sorting out. We have put a password on our credit report. I would advise you all to order your reports from experian on a regular basis.
Just a quick update....

Still haven't had the money back. We have been told that it is the bank's policy to investigate fully before returning the money and then told on numerous occasions that they are still investigating :bhead

5 weeks tomorrow and counting, this is surely a joke!! :cry:

Sunaholic.
That is unbelievable!! :x
Just thought I would let all the lovely people who sent me their kind thoughts back in October (when our holiday funds were stolen) know that we have now finally booked another holiday :D

We got our money back just before xmas, but as I started a new job in January we will now be going to Jamaica in April. I can't wait :hyper

We still haven't found out any details about how the money was taken or who by, but we have sent a letter requesting this information so will hopefully find this out eventually :roll:

Sunaholic.
Very pleased it's sorted. Have a fab time, and thanks for updating us.

Patka
:D Hi!

So glad it's been sorted (Eventually)!

Have a brilliant time, you deserve it!

Enjoy, BBB
Really pleased for you. You will looove Jamaica 8)
Thanks everyone, I really can't wait.

We love the Dominican Republic, and hope that Jamaica will be as good - if not better :wink:

Sunaholic xx
After doing a search I found this thread.

I have had my card used fraudently over the past 3 days but only found out today when I checked my account on line. One of the alleged transactions took place by phone when I was at work and I have no access to making personal calls there (I work in a busy A&E dept). There are a few others, one that was luckily stopped but I am terrified that it will take ages to get money back. This is money that I have been saving for my holiday.

Has anyone got any good news about this sort of thing? I feel so sick and violated. Especially when the last time I paid on line was for my Visa to go on holiday.
So sorry to hear this celcat. Not sure I can offer much advice.

I have had a store card clonned a few years ago and then last year I had a couple of credit cards with payee not present type payments taken from them (phone top-ups etc to the tune of about 400 quid Grrr! on two different cards).

I thought it might be an inside job call center staff as I had 4 credit cards at the time but the 2 that were subject to the fraud were with the same organisation. One had been cancelled by phone six months before, cut up & destroyed by me & all statements shreded. :banghead: :twisted: so how that wasn't an inside job I don't know. Tesco credit card, I forget what bank underwrites Tesco.

Needless to say Tesco were aghast when I suggested it might be an inside job. :rofl but unless someone crawled in my bin and reconstructed the card I don't see who else could have had the details that far down the line I had only used it once to buy an MFI kitchen about 2 years before.

I never cancel by phone now always in writing and ask for a written acknowledgement of cancellation. Which suspiciously you sometimes have to chase.

From what I read some banks are better at sorting these things out more quickly than others, but these cases all do seem to get sorted out in the end. Don't know if thats any consollation ? But a horrid thing to happen to you. Hope it gets sorted speedily.
I had some problems with my Debit card,the bank fraud dept called me so I was lucky,when visiting the bank to complete the paperwork the girl who helped pointed out to me where the problem could have come from.( I did contact the companies security Dept and got a good response)Now I have a PREPAY credit card I use this on the internet,if it gets cloned they can only take whats on the card, best and safest way.I might be lucky but the money was directly repaid however it was not 2grand.I hope you get sorted soon and have your trip to Cuba.
OMG!! The final sum is over £2,000 :cry :cry :cry
:yikes
I feel for you it happened to us last yr we did not know till we went to the atm to draw out some cash to find that we had drawn out our limit for that day :que

it had happened at our local tesco lots of people had had there cards cloned there it took us a while i think to get it back but at least we did.

good luck i hope you get i all sorted very soon.

Pip
x
hi, this happened to me a few years ago.
i went to get £10 out of my savings account(which i normally only put money in but i was skint) and noticed over £2000 had gone missing. now my savings account has a card that you can only draw out money that you have in your account it is not a visa or a cheque guarantee card ,i thought it was a genuine mistake by the bank and went in to my branch to sort it out.
when they checked they told me the money had been transfered from my savings account to my current account then tranfered again to another bogus account and it had all been done through my internet banking account.
i nearly passed out. the thief never took all my money just approx £2000 don't know why this was.
anyway as it was only in my name and they must of believed i had nothing to do with it i got my money back the same day that was with lloydstsb i cancelled the internet banking after that and all has been well since.
My husband has a business account with Abbey and fell victim to the same f r a u d in August this year. The bank contacted him as they felt there were some unusual transactions on the account. In the space of one week, there were about 20 transactions, mostly to BA, Air France, Easyjet, Napster and Pizza Hut (?!). The total amount was around £6000 but this was paid back into the account within 2 weeks by the bank, together with a refund of interest. We felt that Abbey acted very fairly and very quickly but it would seem that all banks have different ways of dealing with this sort of f r a u d.

Cazz
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.