General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Holiday on hold.
83 Posts
Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that :(

Your the third person I know of in less than a week to have experienced this problem :evil:
Really?
It's one of those things that you think will never happen to you. Especially as we are always careful to only use secure sites when purchasing online and never let our cards out of our sight, but they've still managed it somehow! :(

Sunaholic.
Yes, really :?

I'm going to move this to the General Enquiries, Hints and Tips forum in case anyone can give you advice :wink:

Pippy :D
sunaholic, i am gutted for you..

we had something similar but did not get robbed as we managed to get to the bank first and stop everything..
Ours was a scam through the internet and we recieved an email from a company whom we have used in the past to purchase on line ( quite securely) saying that someone had tried to hack into our account and they had shut it as a precaustion. We then recieved an email from some company in the USA thanking us for our payment of $749 for a load of "adult" products :yikes so we rang the bank and managed to get everything stopped before it had gone through..we ended up having to get all new cards issued and notify all sorts of people of changes..

anyway, i really hope you get it sorted out...then get yourself a well deserved holiday..
i really hope you get it sorted out...then get yourself a well deserved holiday

The annoying thing with ours is that the £2000 is only pending, so we phoned the bank straight away to try and stop it but they said they can't as it's already been authorised. They said by Tuesday they should know where the payments were made to and then they can get the f r a u d team involved.
They say it should be 2-3 weeks before it's sorted, so we're still hoping we can get time off work then to go away somewhere.

It's all just really horrible.

Sunaholic.
The same thing happenmed to me last week. I found it by pure chance when checking my acount.

There were quite a number of small transacations and one big one. I am the same as you sunaholic, and have to wait for the investigation before I get my money back.

I have received the forms today. The Card Operations department, wouldn't give a lot of information only that all the transactions had been made on the internet :(

I hope you get things sorted soon Sunaholic, I understand what you are going through, and my amount isnt as large as yours. I feel as though someone has been rifling through my drawers.

Let us know how you get on.

Kath HT Admin
What a horrible thing to happen, I really do feel for you both. It makes you wary of buying off the internet.(As this is prob the most likely explanation - although I'm no expert). How the hell do these fraudster's manage to get your card details etc..? Just hope you mangage to get this sorted, and get to take your well deserved holiday. Good Luck. BBB.
The same thing happenmed to me last week.

It's nice to know we're not alone. Have they given you any time scales?

Thanks for your kind words BBB.

Sunaholic
I feel as though someone has been rifling through my drawers

And yes, I feel exactly the same. It isn't just the money, it's the intrusion. It feels truly horrible! I am really hoping they can trace the ****s that have done this, but am not holding my breath!

Sunaholic
I bank with Abbey and this happened to me last year. They refunded my money immediately and got me to sign a form to say if it was found that I had actually spent it that I would re-pay it. Unfortunately someone had managed to get my details and make a telephone purchase to a company in Scotland. I live in London so no idea how they got my card details-but they did! Most annoying thing was cards had to be cancelled immediately and account closed down which was inconvenient, but didn't take them long to set up new for us.
We are with the Halifax and they have just said when it is clear where the purchases were made (probably Tuesday) they will send out the relevant paperwork for us to fill in and then get the f r a u d team to investigate it. Also, they have cancelled the card, but left the account open. :?

Wish we were with Abbey, sounds like they made the whole experience much easier to deal with.

Sunaholic
Well I am with the TSB. :roll:

What really annoyed me was the procedure I had to follow. I phoned the bank to advise them I had unauthorised transactions on account. They gave me another number to ring (Security - Card Operations) who went through my statement with me whilst I disputed the offending amounts. Then she said I recommend you cancel the card, so I asked "can't you do that ?" No she said you need to ring another number !!!!

Was not impressed. I have banked with them for about 35 years and I still have to wait for the money back. They should be able to tell by my activity on account that I probably wouldnt have purchased some of the things.

Kath x
This happened to my husband on a smaller scale. Checked our bank account on returning from Bulgaria last year and found out that 2 days after we returned someone had phoned and purchased 2 x £60 phone top ups from O2 using my husband's card details (which he never lets out of his sight. It's me that purchases from the internet as he says it's not safe.) We can only presume that they got details from a discarded receipt, although I have an idea that it had something to do with money that went missing from our room whilst in Bulgaria. We had to fill out a form at our bank and had the money refunded about 10 days later.
Sunaholic,

Absolutely gutted for you.

But a few weeks ago there was an article in The Guardian or Observer,can't remember which about a member of a call centre somewhere or other being caught with account details!!!!!!!!!!

Also I don't know whether this will help fo the future but if you visit this site https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2, it's an internet security site,it will check your computer for you,to make sure it's secure.
By the way forgot to say its called Shields Up
Its awful isnt it. Sorry for all of you it has happened to.

I had a store card 'cloned'. Hopefully now with 'chip and pin' that shouldn't be so easy. I knew exactly which shop it had happened in and on what day as it was a new card and I only used it the once. But the company weren't interested in following it up. :shock: Although they did right off the debt, but then they get it all back on higher interest rates. :evil: :evil:

Re purchasing on internet if you only use card for small purchases from amazon etc. Someone suggested to me to apply for a credit card and get the company to keep a low credit limit on it say 200pounds, then if someone does get your details they can't go too mad on it.
Thanks everyone for your kind words.

I have banked with them for about 35 years and I still have to wait for the money back.

How long as it been? We are trying to work out when we will be able to go away. The problem we have now is that my husband will struggle to get a week off in November and December :(

Sunaholic.
The same as you Sunaholic. I found out by chance when checking my account online.

The transacations had all been carried out between the 4th and 6th October.

I have ben told by some that it can take up to 6 weeks. I hope it isnt that long for you. You will need a holiday after all this!!

kath x
OMG sunaholic, how awful for you. I hope you get it all sorted and are able to book your lovely holiday.

louxxxxxxxx

p.s
i hope they catch the nasty b****rd that done this to you.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.