Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
The majority of decent hotels have Sat TV, but not sure about full TV. Hopefully a member in the know will be able to advise.

Kath x
Hi,

The Son Matias in Palmanova lets you rent the remote to gain access to english tv, it is also very flat which could be good for your wife.

I can't remember how much it is to hire, but they will answer any emails almost straight away. Excellent hotel, we have stayed there a few times.

Hope this starts the ball rolling for you.

Deb
Hi Jeffro
Yes I would agree with recommending the Son Matias in Palma Nova. We were there early last year and I am fairly sure they had several British TV channels. Here is the address for you to contact them:-recepcion@matiasbeach.com, they are very helpful on reception.
If you look at their website http://www.matiasbeach.com/web/index.php they mention various facilities for disabled people.
Regards Sue
Thank you I will try to find out.
i beleive the coma gran appartments in majorca show corrie etc in rooms etc.i think its in sa coma. mo.
Sol Mirlos Tordos, has BBC 1/2/4. ITV 1/2/3, sky news and BBC World

There is no reason for a hotel NOT to be able to show these channels, as they are now available from the satellite unencrypted.

Robin
Except of course (with the exception of BBC World Service) they are all illegal.

Neither BBC nor Sky have a licence to broadcast to Spain, and although they are freeview channels, that should be to UK only. Fortunately BBC don't really care, and Sky make such a huge income from illegal foreign broadcasts, that they are obviously not going to work very hard to prohibit the massive number of people (including obviously the Hotels) who obtain their Sky cards by nefarious means.

Not like me, of course who subscribe to Albanian TV (probably just as illegal) which doesn't have any soaps, and shows all Premiership football (including Saturday 3pm kick off) for free! :clap
The problem with the Hotel TV is they probably only have one freeview box, and you have to watch what everyone else watches.

Cheers

Adam

PS Hope you enjoyed Santa Ponca Robin. :sun2
Thanks Wobinb
Is this in your room or the TV lounge

Would a FREEVIEW box work over there?
Protur hotels in sa coma have bbc1

The gran vista in c'an picafort has bbc1, bbc2, and itv 1

I can confirm what goodfellow says, to get a sky card you need a UK address and bank account.
Is this in your room or the TV lounge

those channels are in the rooms

Would a FREEVIEW box work over there?

short answer - NO
long answer - to receive UK channels NO, but MIGHT receive Spanish freeview channels

The channels I mentioned are broadcast unencrypted by BBC/ITV - not SKY (well apart from sky news!), to receive them all that is needed is a big enough dish and a satellite decoder. Nothing is being hacked or pirated

However the legality of displaying ANY tv channels in a public area, hotel or bar is another question and is subject to various rules and licences.
HI there , the Son Matias hotel does not have much gb tele...olny a couple of english speaking channels...really not worth the bother..we were then in december 07...hotel is great ( no kids ) ..
bar a little on the expensive side...cheaper to buy a bottle for in the room...hire the fridge and safe...
if you go to this hotel , all rooms look over the sea....yes all rooms..
have a nice time....george.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.