General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
as there are usually between 6 and 12 of us going, we usually get a mini bus, ( from the local taxi firm)
My wife and I take a taxi to our local airport (Glasgow) as it's only about 10 minutes drive away but we were thinking of moving up north and then it'll be 5 hours! :cry

David
Only ever drive. Hoping my bf's Dad will take us as we forgot to pre-book car parking and the prices have doubled as we go in 17 days :duh I doubt he will though, he is an hour from us and we are 2 from Gatwick and need to be there for 6.30am. Going to offer a genorous bribe!

We usually fly from Stansted (Wishing that oneday FC will fly long-haul from there!!) as bf works there so we park for free and his work mates drive us to the terminal. :tup
We're getting a lift by my OH's best mate as the airport is only a 15 mins drive to East Midlands Airport from our house. We fly the day after we get married. Our flight is at 23.35pm, so i'll be making sure I get my evening meal at the airport as the food on Eurocypria airways is rubbish (pasta or cheese). I'll be heading to Burger King or whatever is there!
Taxi to Glasgow Airport, 10 min drive

Then flight to Manchester, spend sometime in Manchester and stay over night in Airport Hotel before flight 6am :angel2
Hi
Use local taxi firm which are always reliable.Manchester airport is only about 20 minutes from home, taxi fare about £20 one way. Most of our flights are usually early morning so we dont get any offers from realtives to give us a lift :really I admire people who get public transport to the airport, I would be panicing that they would not be on time and we would miss check in :yikes
M
One thing to consider is your insurance if things do go wrong. If you read the small print under Missed Departure in your policy it might surprise you, in some cases it will horrify you!

Margaret may not trust public transport but most policies have fewer exclusions related to public transport than private car - which suggests the insurers do trust it. Taxis usually get lumped in with private cars.

One common exclusion is that whilst you may be insured if you're delayed because your car is involved in a crash you're not if you're car is stuck behind a crash on a motorway or dual carriageway (and therefore can't turn round). And where car delays are covered it's often hard to get the documents to support the claim.

With public transport most insurers will accept any failure to meet a published schedule (if it was a sensible choice - don't pick a train that is advertised to get there 5 minutes before checkin closes!) and all you need is a letter from the operator confirming it.
If our flights aren't at *silly* o'clock, one of our relatives usually take us and pick us up again.
(We only live 25 miles from the airport.)

But if are flights are very early/late then we book a cab.
It means the car stays at home safely locked up in the garage and both my husband and I can
have a drink the night before we go on holiday and the day we return home. :cheers
hi, every other time weve gone away my boyfriends parents have taken us and picked us up, but this year we dont have the greatest flight times, we fly out at 5pm and my boyfriends parents are at work as we would have to leave at least 2pm probably earlier, i could maybe ask my mum if she could take us she normally finishes work around 2-2.30 maybe she could finish slightly eariler that day. then coming back we dont land at birmingham until 2.10am so this is really difficult my boyfriends parents will be on holiday then as they are flying out to crete same as us but a different part either the day we come back or a couple of days before.
my mum wouldnt be able to fetch us as she has to be up for work in the morning at 6.45. so i was wondering if anyone has any recomendations of sites or taxi companys that do airport runs (cheap as possible! lol)? we are in stoke on trent going to birmingham airport, it may only be needed for the way back. i could drive and leave my car there but dont think i fancy driving back after the flight and with it been late at night (i may also want to have a few last drinks in the hotel before we leave! and maybe 1 in the airport/plane) anyone have any ideas? thanks
Hi Linzi,

I always prefer recommendations by word of mouth, so I would ask family/friends/neighbours/colleagues
if they have the names and numbers of any reputable firms in your area.

Failing that, you could always ring some local cab firms and get quotes off them for an airport run.

Hope you get sorted. :)
We used a travel taxi once and he was 40 minutes late picking us up for a 6am arrival to Manchester, and 2 hours late picking us up from the arrival! Since then we've always asked someone else to take us.

This time, my uncle is taking us. It's an early afternoon flight, so we don't have to be at the airport until about 10am, meaning it's not too early :)
Depends who I'm travelling with and where I'm going. I do a lot of long haul travel so normally get a taxi for those. Before anyone says it, one of my projects at work involved the planting of 7,000 trees so I've more than offset my cardon emissions :wave: These are normally 2 week trips so it works out about the same for a taxi or car parking (~£70). The last thing you want to do after a 10+ hour flight is drive! Plus it means you can have a couple of refreshments without worry, especially if its a schedules flight with complimentory bar :cheers If I'm going on my own for a short trip, I'll normally drive or get a friend to drop me off. My next two flights from/to Blackpool are day return so I'll drive for them. Turkey in September is 2 weeks with a group so we have a mini-bus booked for that and we haven't decided for Finland in December, probably drive for that one.

Darren
We always used to go in the car to the airport, but in the the last couple of years we have had two new additions to the family, my mum and child no 3 :yikes , and daughters friend, we have had to hire a mini bus to get their and back. its Quite pricey at £124.00 each way, but luckily Mum pays one way for us :cheers, the driver is brill though and wont let us pick a suitcase up, and very reliable. Its like meeting an old pal each hols :cheers
It usually depends on what time of the day we are flying. If a day flight, then we will ask either mum-i-law or my dad to drive us and/or pick us up.

This year we have a 6.00am flight so need to be at the airport for 4.00am :yikes . We shall get a taxi there (the airport's own company are brilliant) and coming home we land at midday so will get someone to pick us up.

We are lucky as we only live 30 mins away from the airport. Have never flown from anywhere else.

Sarah :)
We always drive. Luckily we are only 15 mins drive to Glasgow Airport. We park in the car park right opposite the main airport terminal. Its great when you get back and you head straight for your car. I hate hanging around for courtesy buses etc, especially if its during the night and cold, nothing worse.
In the winter we normally travel to Goa which is from Gatwick then we fly down and book our flights well in advance so we can get a bargain ;)
we usually ask boyf's dad to take us and my dad to pick up.

but this year its a taxi :)
only 10-15 mins away tho

x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.