General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Taxi ... airport 14 minutes away. We only go to places served by Bristol Airport now. It does save that 130 mile drive home from Gatwick after a 20 hour day.
We drive and leave the car at the airport now.

We used to ask my father in law to drive us in our car and then take it home again but after one occasion when we landed back at gatwick and he met us in the terminal and then realised he had no idea where he had left our car....we did find it eventually but from then on we decided it would be less stressful just to pay for airport parking!
Almost always by taxi unless the time is right and my Daughter or SIL offers to take me. Have gone by taxi from Harrogate to Harwich as it meant 3 changes of train and no flights from Leeds

Sue
I try to cadge a lift from my brother when I can but often have a taxi. I have looked into parking up but never relish the thought of driving after being on a flight, I like the convenience of being driven.
I normally drive to the airport. Only 1 hour away and taxi is too expensive.
drive ..usually Gatwick departure only 45 mins drive. Then use meet & greet parking at the airport, 12 weeks today.. :sun2
Drive and leave car at airport long stay... 45 mins to Manchester, 60 mins to B'ham, 45 mins to EMA... works out much cheaper than taxi's :)
If I can fly from Stansted I can get a bus from near where I live. It only takes an hour and is usually free with my bus pass. Flying from Gatwick it depends on the time of the flight. I'm quite happy with the train but for early morning flights I have to get the dreaded "Gatwick Flyer", which picks you up from home but goes all round the houses and insists on picking you up at 2 a.m. for a 8 a.m. flight as it runs every 2 hours. Next week I'm flying from Gatwick at 12.55 so one of my sons is taking me to the airport and another is collecting me when I come back as I get in at 19.30. As I'll only have hand luggage coming back I'll be able to walk straight through I hope.
Flying from Stansted in June which is only 50 minutes from us here in Suffolk. Parking though is very expensive at Stansted so if going for longer than a week it works out cheaper to get a taxi.

However we had an auction of promises in our church in January and one of the 'promises' was a trip to a local airport by a friend of ours who would donate the money to the charity that our church was supporting at the time. So we paid £60 for the trip to and from Stansted and are very happy that the money went to a good cause rather than BAA pockets!

If we fly from Gatwick we drive and use Tudor Rose meet and greet parking (cheaper than the airport car parks and very reliable).

Pippa
Normally a lift, either my parents or boyfs step dad who's a taxi driver, the airport is only a bout 45 mins away so it's not too bad. This year though we're stranded at the airport. We arrive back at 9am on a Monday morning when my parents are at work and boyfs mum and step dad are on their hols. Taxi prices are ridiculous considering it isn't that far away, there is a bus that picks up at the airport but not sure if I fancy it with suitcases :think
Taxi - we're 5 minutes door to door to the airport, saves us having to leave our car in car park!
If we are flying from Donny (10 minutes up the road) then we usually get a lift from a family mmber or a taxi from Johnboy (lives next door but 2..dead handy for a taxi).

If we are travelling further afeild, we get a taxi..usually with Johnboy. If there are plenty of us on a group booking, we get a mini bus..usually for jaunts to Manchester.

I can't remember the last time we drove to the airport ourselves and parked up for a couple of weeks.
You lot are so lucky, we fly from Glasgow or Edinburgh and it's a 4 hour drive for us. If we're flying to Spain, Balearics or Portugal it takes us longer to drive there or home than it does to fly to our holiday destination. Aberdeen does limited flights to Europe but usually flying at stupid times like 5am :que Thomson are doing flights from Inverness this summer to Salou and Palma, this is the first time they have done this. Fingers crossed more follow suit. We usually drive down the night before and stay at a hotel, park the car at the airport and then stay a night when we get back (depending what time the flight gets in). It kind of gives us a couple of extra days holidays. :D
we normally get my dad to take us in our car then bring it back, but this year with us having bad flight times it looks like i will have to book the car in at manchester
All depends which airport we are flying from really as we live in the the lake district, if its blackpool ( which we always try to fly from ,but not always possible ) we drive and park, its only 45 mins on a good run. If its liverpool, park our car at mums house, and they take us there, ( 15 mins ) , if its manchester, we try and beg a lift off retired inlaws, depending on times of flights , or get a taxi, which costs us a whopping £130 ! would love to get the train, but, as we like an early flight, not always possible.
ooh, if only we had a private jet ...............................
taxi booked picking us up at 4-30 tomorrow.. cheaper than driving/parking, safer for the car, and i can now have a drink tonight
we drive to manchester only 25mins from where we live in cheshire ,then leave our car at one of the airport car parks and its free as my husband is one of the managers. they then drop us of at the airport by mini bus and pick us up when we land and take us back to car.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.