General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I personally highly rate Tripp luggage, excellent choice, great prices (especially if they're having a sale) and they're extremely well made for the price. I'm pretty fussy about my luggage and you definitly get what you pay for so it's nice to get a great suitcase at a great price without breaking the bank. http://www.tripp.co.uk or online at Debenhams or in store, although selection in the shops tends to be much smaller :tup
With regards type I've always bought the Tripp soft sided lighweight cases and own about 4 of them, however they brought a lovely designed hard case spinner (4 wheels) in 2009 & I bought one, it was great and although the exterior showed some marks etc. on it's 1st trip the contents were very well protected. I liked it so much I bought it in a different colour in the sale in December.....Others collect bags & shoes I seem to collect suitcases :rofl
Mine seem to last too long and I begrudge buying new ones for the sake of it :D Having said that I discarded my last lot about 3 years ago because I thought they looked old fashioned and bought some new ones. They were Dunlop make, on sale in Sports world and very reasonably priced. I begrudge paying a lot because no matter how sturdy they are, they will get scuffed or marked and won't look like new for long. I'm hoping these will last until I fancy a change. I've been lucky with luggage so far and haven't had any damaged.
I bought my suitcase (Delsey) about 10 years ago. Still going strong having been used at least 3 times a year.

Mark :)
Samsonite hard shell suitcase still going strong after 19 years of almost continuous use. Reckon it has done about three million miles.
Cheap Carlton holdall on wheels, bought from Argos beginning 1997. Must have averaged three trips a year since then and still going strong!
Seems like forever! The cases I've been using for some 15 years were still OK and I passed the older style moulded rigid ones over to my nieces (and they're still going strong as far as I know) when I updated to a lightweight rigid Revelation set in varying sizes with 4 wheels so that I can push up them upright - I have arthritis in my wrists and found it tiring pulling my larger standard '2 wheel on the corner' rigid cases. However, though the larger ones in the new set have survived numerous trips including internal Cubana flights in Cuba, the smallest case, previously only used as cabin baggage, only survived one trip as checked in baggage with Virgin on my return flight from Cuba last summer! It came off the carousel with one corner broken and caved right in and only being held in place by the lining! They replaced it without question but I'm still working out how they managed to create such huge damage in the first place!

SM
My cases seem to last about 5 years max, whether I spend a lot or a little on them.. I do sometimes take up to 20 flights in a year so they get well used.
I did buy a new wheeled holdall about 18months ago, it's still doing OK though that may be due to the fact that I haven't travelled as much over the last year, and when I have it's been mostly with hand luggage. I did consider buying a set of rigid cases a while ago but on many of the adventure type holidays I often go on only soft shell bags are allowed so I never bothered.
We must be unlucky with our cases as they don't seem to last as long as yours. Off shopping on saturday so will try Debs. and other major players. Only trouble shopping for cases is Sue will want to fill them up with new holiday clothes!Could end up very expensive :cry
I bought a set of 3, around 5 years ago for the princely sum of £40 from the price drop tv channel. They're still in excellent condition despite being used at least 5 times a year.
I've only used mine a couple of times and I bought it in 2007 as only been for two weekish long holidays in that time. However, I've done short breaks and just taken my rucksack.
I bought a new one this year - had one already but son is using that - I fancied a 4 wheel case and its purply pinky and was around £60 so I thought that was quite good.
Bought a couple of cheap lightweight ones for £17 each last year at an outlet, had 3 holidays with them and they are dropping to bits now, but at £5 per holiday I can throw them away. :)
Miss_Chief1 wrote:
I personally highly rate Tripp luggage

Same here, we've used Tripp luggage for a while and they're both light and durable. I think next week will be the 10th time away with it and still going strong so pretty good considering how much they get thrown about. I hope saying that isn't the kiss of death. You always dread seeing your smalls coming round the carousel because the zip has give way or something when you're waiting for it :yikes

Darren
Mix of Delsey and Carlton for us. The Delsey is over 20 years old the Carlton 17. As we do multi centre holidays the cases take a lot of knocks. 8 flights for example on our holiday in January.

But woe is me my Carlton was dropped off a longtail boat onto a concrete jetty and one of the wheels was damaged so I maybe looking for a new case. I see Carlton still do the same model all these years on at forty odd quid seems like a good deal.
I've only ever owned one suitcase, and it goes everywhere with us. Somehow it seems to fit everything for a 2 week holiday into it, yet still smallish enough for a long weekend away. Mum bought me the case one christmas and it must be around 8 years old. There's not a mark on it, and it's still going strong :tup
I seem to get through lots of cases. In 2007 I splashed out on a set of good ones. Went on holiday with them once and happened to be in Glasgow Airport when the terrorists crashed the burning car into the doors. Cases were thrown out into the rain and it was a week later before we were allowed to get them back. The cases and everything in them were soaking and badly damaged. So much for my expensive cases :rage
I bought a Titan case from TKMax a couple of years ago and love it. The wheels are 'spinny' (eh?..lol) which means when I'm in the check in queue I can literally just tap it and it moves along. Only problem I had once was on the Leeds/Bradford airport shuttle bus when I just left my case near the front as all the spaces were taken. My case, much to the amusement of the bus driver and passengers was rolling up and down the bus with every twist and turn. :rofl
But it's got a brilliant zipped compartment in the hood. You can fit all your clothes in there, lock them, then zip up the folder. Keeps all my clothes together (without them getting thrown around the case) and keeps the creases out.
great thread and informative... mines lasted for about 4 years so far... surf brand one, but i dont travel that much
I have a delsey hard shell bought 26 yearsagoand still going strong. Mrs sheep had an antler with4 wheels every time we checkin whe has to takeit to special items push chairs over size etc becasue the conveyor cannot cope with the 4 wheels!!!!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.