Spain - All Other Costas, Inland Areas Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding all Spanish areas not covered.
Yasiou, I personally love the area of Ayamonte and Isla Canela and am delighted that I'll be back out there on the 28 April for 10 days.

The area is quiet(ish), depending on what you require out of a holiday and the time of year you're looking to visit. There are a few chiringuitos along the beaches of Punta del Moral and Isla Canela, together with several hotels that I assume will offer some form of evening entertainment, if that's what you're looking for. There are many bars and resturants, in both Isla Canela (Punta del Moral) and Ayamonte.

I agree with your comments regarding general rules of driving, (in that there appear to be none) and I must say that I do enjoy driving in Spain and also the route from Faro airport to Ayamonte, and on the motorway those other drivers do tend to appear out of nowhere in my rear view mirror scaring the hell out of me. :really I personally find that once I'm off the motoway and taking my time around towns or on the coastal roads, most other road users are not too bad.

From Ayamonte you can enjoy a day (or even two with an overnight stay) in Seville, and you don't have to drive if you don't wish to as you can get the Damas bus from Ayamonte bus terminal. We have enjoyed a visit to the Rio Tinto Mines, quite a drive out but most enjoyable and extremely scenic, and there are a number of towns along the coast that are also enjoyable seaside places, such as Isla Christina, Matalascanas. There is also Donana National Park however these visits have to be booked in advance as they are guided tours.

One other note, assuming you will fly into Faro, ensure that your car hire company cover you for insurance and breakdown on taking the car into Spain, as most will NOT cover you for breakdown.

Regards, Scoya.
Hi Scoya

Thank you so much for the information you have given.

We have visited Ayamonte in the past (before even the bridge was built!!!!) as we have fully covered Portugese Algarve There seems to be more to Isla Canela than I thought so we may give it a go. We were thinking of mid May for our visit as we do not like resorts to be too hot or too crowded.

The Atlantico seems to be a very good hotel with excellant reviews so I should think that is the one we will go for.

Again many thanks. :cheers

Yasiou :thanks
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.